Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i have to apologize since I am at work and just registered so I do not have all the specs I might need off the bat.

My comp:
Mobo: Evga 750I SLI FTW
Processor: Intel e8500 (3.16 stock for now)
Cooling: Artic Freezer Pro 7
RAM: 8 gigs (4 x 2gig) Mushkin Ascent 1066 5-5-5-15 2T 2.0V
GPU: Evga Gtx 260 Core 216
NIC: Killer M1

Anyways my problem is the following and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I built my rig in October with only 4 gigs of RAM and never had any BSOD's and everything ran stable. This past week I purchased and installed another 4 gigs of the same ram. I have recently experienced 2 bsod with the IRQ-not-less-than-or-equal crash. I also have had some random processes closing as well, such as Windows C++.

I ran memtest86 on the ram and have had 0 errors after 5 passes, and tested each individual mem slot.

The problem I noticed though is after testing each stick of ram and adding one at a time, Memtest 86 would lock up after 4 seconds when I added the 3rd and 4 stick of ram.

So all in all memtest86 is locking up with anything more than 4 gigs of ram, and my system is unstable as well. What might be the problems causing this?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or need me to provide additional information.

Thanks

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Most likely you will need to increase the NB voltage a tad because running more sticks puts some more strain on the NB.

Also set DRAM voltage and timings manually if you haven't done so.

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
i would isolate which stick might be causing the problem by adding one and running the test again. you dont have to use pairs. do you know which are the new ones? i'd leave the working ones out of the tests. if no problem arise, i'd think about replacing the motherboard. but replace the ram first.

the reviewers on newegg have had similar experiences. i'd try bumping the voltage up to 2.1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far.

To answer some of the questions, all four sticks of ram are the exact same. The Ram settings in the bios have been set to manual 5-5-5-15 2T Mushkins specs. I have tested 4 gigs with 5 successful passes in memtest86, and I will finish testing the other 2 sticks tonight to eliminate possible bad ram. The 2 known good sticks of ram were tested in each mem slot. So I'm assuming that eliminates possible bad mem slot (might be wrong)??

Things I will try tonight and report back with tomorrow.

1. Have not upped NB voltage. will try that

2. Ram right now is set to 2.0V so I will try 2.1V

Again I appreciate all the help and fast responses. i will definitely be coming here once I my system is stable and I'm ready to begin overclocking.

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
GL and welcome to OCN!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I upped my NB voltage to 1.45 and memtest still locked up. I started to look for other solutions and immediately became embarrased when I realized I was using an older version of memtest86 and I proceeded to download the newest version of memtest86+.

Memtest was then able to run with 8 gigs of ram installed. After running it overnight there was 1 error in pass 0 out of 6 passes.

I guess I will pull one stick at a time until I can get 0 errors until I can find out which stick was causing the error.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts