Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my motherboard, there are 4 RAM slots, and EVGA specifies that RAM should be placed in the slots in this order:
3 1 4 2 (if only using 2 DIMMs, they should be separated by an empty slot)

I am adding a fan shroud to my setup, and if I were to place my ram in slots 1 and 2, one of the DIMMs would be underneath the fan. If I moved that DIMM to slot 4, so that my two DIMMs are next to each other, then they would both be in front of the fan.

Heatspreader height is not a problem, I'm just worried that my RAM won't be cooled well if it is underneath my fan (they are overvolted from the stock 1.35v to 1.64v and run warm). My system boots fine if I run the DIMMs in slots 4 and 2. I assume that one reason EVGA specifies that there should be an empty slot in between if only using 2 DIMMs is heat dispersion, but is there any other reason for this specification? I don't want to be causing damage to my hardware in some bizarre way..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On reflection, do you guys think my RAM would be better cooled if I had my DIMMs separated by a slot, even if one was underneath a fan? I'm not sure what to do now since there are no RAM temperature monitors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts