Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Apologies if I have missed a previous thread on this topic, but I am looking for a little advice if possible:

My son has a 790fx MoBo and has recently bought 8gig of RAM which I think may be an incorrect spec (either way, it won't work!)

The RAM in question is Corsair Vengeance with speed of 1866, latency 9-10-9-27

I am something of a real noob when it comes to RAM issues, speeds, etc, so would really appreciate some advice here - will this spec actually work at all in this MoBo?
If not, please could you suggest a relevant spec that I can relate back to my son?

Many thanks

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I had 790FX I used G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz kit. I believe 790 chipset has problems with Cas Latency 9. Almost any ram can be configured to the spec of the motherboard manually. Your ram should still work and it should boot at 1333Mhz Cas 11 at first, than you can set timings manually in the bios. But you need to use just one ram stick in either the closest or farthest ram slot from the cpu socket at first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah right, thanks for your reply, an just going to try it now, I may run into trouble, so watch this space
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
10,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkeys143 View Post

Ah right, thanks for your reply, an just going to try it now, I may run into trouble, so watch this space
smile.gif
It's more about the IMC the processor has than the motherboard's capability. Phenom II's would struggle to get past 1750 MHz on the ram frequency , Thubans were a bit better but 1866 is a tall order for most AM3 chips. CL latency on the other hand is a different story, DDR2 cl4 was fairly common and I have ran cl 6-8-6 CR1 @ 1680 MHz on DDR3 on just about any AM3 I've tired.

I'd try 1600 MHz at the rated timings, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if you couldn't run CL 6 at that frequency with a little boost to the cpu/nb and running the sticks at the rated voltage.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I agree with above. Get the cpu north bridge up to 2800 or 3000. Get the ram to 1600 but with a low cas latency. If you got a 965BE get it to 4ghz or higher. Should be a powerful snappy computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts