Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, alright I've been doing my research but when it comes to RAM it's still kind of fuzzy to me. First off, the ram I have is worthless garbage. It's one 2gb stick and one 1gb stick. It's ddr2 400mhz right now I have it clocked to 500mz 6-6-6-18. Right now I can get my 7550 stable at 3.1 but it feels like it has so much more. Right now I've been folding with 100% load for over 7 hours and the cpu temp never broke above 33c so temp is not an issue (don't you love winter?) Every time I try to go up to 3.2 I can run orthos and 3dmark together for about 12 hours then it blue screens otherwise it's fine at 3.2 when I don't put it on full load for extended time. I'm really interested to see if it's the ram holding me back from over clocking more or is the cpu just at its maximum stability limit. How can I tell what is holding me back between the ram and cpu? I'm on a pretty tight budget, what ram would you recommend to try and get more from my OC? Thanks in advance. +Rep to the person who recommends the best ram I end up buying.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138
View Post

Hey all, alright I've been doing my research but when it comes to RAM it's still kind of fuzzy to me. First off, the ram I have is worthless garbage. It's one 2gb stick and one 1gb stick. It's ddr2 400mhz right now I have it clocked to 500mz 6-6-6-18. Right now I can get my 7550 stable at 3.1 but it feels like it has so much more. Right now I've been folding with 100% load for over 7 hours and the cpu temp never broke above 33c so temp is not an issue (don't you love winter?) Every time I try to go up to 3.2 I can run orthos and 3dmark together for about 12 hours then it blue screens otherwise it's fine at 3.2 when I don't put it on full load for extended time. I'm really interested to see if it's the ram holding me back from over clocking more or is the cpu just at its maximum stability limit. How can I tell what is holding me back between the ram and cpu? I'm on a pretty tight budget, what ram would you recommend to try and get more from my OC? Thanks in advance. +Rep to the person who recommends the best ram I end up buying.

I know these might be a little pricey for you but ram prices have gone up in the last few months. This is the best ram for overclocking and is built with the most high quality chips. Check this one out, you won't be disappointed

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148212

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
to OP if you get that kit
i would not use micron D9 memories daily at over 2.0V
i would test to see what is the lowest latencies you can use at 800mhz with 1.85V-2V
should be ~3-4-4-10 2T
if your only going to use the ram for benching then the sky is the limit for a few hours at a time

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
Well, the mismatched modules aren't helping any. I have two sets of Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 for 8GB, and they're running just fine at 471MHz, and that's using all four memory slots and for a 1:1 ratio. This RAM has been golden for me, but there's a bunch of different kit out there people recommend. One set of that for 4GB and you should have no memory problems. To be sure it's your memory, though, you may want to run at least one pass of Memtest86+ first.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I also wanted to get opinions about my over clock and how much ram would make a difference. I've run memtest at 500mhz and it's stable. I would also be planning to run the OC daily so I would want something that can handle it. I might push it a little just to see what the limit is but I'm a gamer not a bencher for the most part. I would love to beat this guy for second place http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=809107

Behemoth, that set is pretty nice but like redhat said lower voltage would be better for my set up.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How can I change the fsb:dram frequencie? Is it possible to underclock the ram and raise the fsb some more to oc my cpu while keeping the memory at a stable setting?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post
How can I change the fsb:dram frequencie? Is it possible to underclock the ram and raise the fsb some more to oc my cpu while keeping the memory at a stable setting?
Yeah you can change the FSB DRAM ratio by raising or lowering the memory speed in the bios.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
Yeah you can change the FSB DRAM ratio by raising or lowering the memory speed in the bios.
6-6-6-18 is as slow as it will go. I wouldn't want to tighten the timings would I? Wouldnt that make the ram more unstable while I try to OC my cpu?

Would I have better results taking out the 1gb?

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'm getting better results by taking out the 1gb and keeping just the 2gb in for single channel. I'm a little confused with the timings right now I have it set to 5-5-5-15 tRC - 13

The ram table in cpuz says 400mhz should be 6-6-6-18 tRC-24 @ 1.8v

What should I set the timing to while I'm testing out higher overclocks? Right now I have my ram clocked to 257x2 @ 1.9v....

I guess what I'm asking is what would be the best way to keep my ram underclocked while I'm raising the fsb so I dont fry it?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
You can't possibly fry the memory modules unless you massivly raise the VDIMM voltage.

Do you have a link to your exact memory module? 6-6-6-18 isn't exactly normal. It must be a default JEDEC standard profile for usage at 1.8v.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

You can't possibly fry the memory modules unless you massivly raise the VDIMM voltage.

Do you have a link to your exact memory module? 6-6-6-18 isn't exactly normal. It must be a default JEDEC standard profile for usage at 1.8v.

No link, does this help?

I wish I could buy better ram but I just ordered christmas presents. Thanks thinkgeek.com

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton
View Post

I'd go with, 5-5-5-15 @1T raise the trc to 20, @1.8v.

Alright I just set it up the way you said and I'm testing it right now. Do you mind explaining why I should drop the timing to 1 and raise trc? I just need to find a good tutorial that explains all the ram settings. I understand everything about oc'ing a cpu but when it comes to ram I'm pretty much in the dark.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

No link, does this help?

I wish I could buy better ram but I just ordered christmas presents. Thanks thinkgeek.com

At your current overclock you could change the timings to 4-4-4-12 (as shown in JEDEC #1), but with 2T. It's harder to run 1T, but 1T is also a tad faster.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I heard that those do OC Very WEll BUT they degrade rather quickly!? Is that true? Or was that someone talking out their rear, yet again?
I have read a lot of complaints about these kits failing and needing to be rma'd repeatedly. I was just reading an angry thread in the Crucial support forum the other day.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
At your current overclock you could change the timings to 4-4-4-12 (as shown in JEDEC #1), but with 2T. It's harder to run 1T, but 1T is also a tad faster.
Oh? I'm looking for the most lenient set up because beyond 3.187 will crash AFTER 12hrs on full load. It feels like my cpu can do more, alot more. My goal is to make it to 2nd or 3rd place. http://www.ripping.org/database.php?cpuid=968

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Didn't want to make a separate thread for this:

Is there a difference when your computer bsod or just blacks out and re starts?

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
Quote:

Didn't want to make a separate thread for this:

Is there a difference when your computer bsod or just blacks out and re starts?
Is your computer set to automatically reboot on bluescreen?

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Startup and Recovery > Settings > System Failure > Uncheck "Automatically restart." and you will the BSODs instead of the system just restarting.

To find old bluescreens or a history of them go to:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Systems > Filter Current Log... and from "Event sources" check "BugCheck" and click OK.

·
Networking Nerd
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! I need all kinds of help. It's so deeply hidden I would've never found it. +rep. Is there anything I can learn from these error codes?

Example of the last one that bsod from unstable OC

Code:
Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x00000000, 0x861fd024, 0xb66cc000, 0x00000145). A dump was saved in: C:\\Windows\\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 121709-22791-01.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts