2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
system specs, HP DV9010us 17" laptop

Cpu Amd turion X2 1.8ghz
mobo Amd Compaq V6000 motherboard
ram Samsung 2x1gb ddr2 pc5300
videocard nvidia 6150 128mb
hard drive 250gb wd blue

i just bought this laptop yesterday for 70 dollars with a blown board, i had a parts v6000 compaq 15" laptop, all i had to mod was the battery post to extend the legs, and now it works great but one of the ram slots isnt working or so i think, if i put 1gb in that slot it works, if i put 2 sticks in the machine it wont work. if i try one stick in either slot it works. im not sure what the deal is.

but this board is not for this laptop, i had to modify it to make it work, but my modifications had nothing to do with the ram issue, as im using the laptop to type this right now
smile.gif
and i must say best 70 bucks i've spent lately.

i really need to get off of 1gb, even in windows xp this thing is a dog loading stuff without the extra 1gb
frown.gif
please help thanks

EDIT: THE SECOND RAM SLOT IS NOT WORKING AT ALL......

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
You have one shot at this, for it to be a BIOS issue. As such I'd advice to flash a BIOS update, the latest BIOS you can find on HP's site. If not, there's always the alternative to sell the 1GB RAM and buy a 2GB stick.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did a bios update, the previous one was only a year old.

I don't mind finding another board, but i dont want another 6150 gfx card board, im trying to find a 7600GO amd board

also bios didnt help i already tried that before i posted....

how is it possible for one ram slot to die? what controls the ram

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx573v3xX_Z28;13046205

how is it possible for one ram slot to die? what controls the ram
The ram slot is "controlled" by 2 things ,the mobo (RAM VRM ,slot contacts and other auxiliary components on the mobo) and the CPU memory controller.

If the CPU doesn t have a good contact (bent/broken pin) in the socket or if it s defective (bad IMC) ,it can give this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts