Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw that Sladesurfer was selling his Asus P5WD2 Premium with the 955X chipset, I currently have a ECS PF21 Extreme with 925X chipset paired with 2x1GB ddr2 533 for overclocking.<br><br>
It does pretty well of itself but would it be advisable to get the Asus P5WD2 Premium even tough its ddr2 standard is ddr2 800 and I would be using my current ram for overclocking?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Yea no problem, your DDR2 533 is compatible with the Asus P5WD2 Premium.<br><br><a href="http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=184&model=493&modelmenu=2" target="_blank">http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...93&modelmenu=2</a><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>ASUSTeK</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Memory<br>
Dual channel memory architecture<br>
4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. 8GB DDR2 800/ 667/ <b>533</b> ECC and non-ECC memory<br>
Native DDR2 800 Support<br>
Intel MPT (Intel Memory Pipeline Technology)</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
But you will most likely have to reinstall Windows XP, since you will be switching from a 925X to a 955X chipset.<br><br>

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I mean is since ddr2 800 is the native standard wont using ddr2 533 be limiting to my overclock?<br><br>
If not why be paying for ddr2 800>

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
DDR2 800 is great for running a higher ratio but you will be just fine with a 1:1 or 4:5 when overclocking and your DDR2 533 will work just great.<br><br>
I'm still puzzled as to why nobody hasn't jumped on that MoBo for $60, I bought miney for $220 June last year and If I my 3rd rig use DDR2 I'd buy it but I'm stuck with DDR on that one..........and my 2nd rig has a P5WD2-Premium which I luv that board and I'm not or will ever sell it.<br><br>
That P5WD2-Premium board is 100 times better than the ECS in overclocking abilities and peformance overall. I have one and I know what I'm talking about.<br><br>
So buy it and overclock that CPU using a 1:1 ration and you'll be just fine and your CPU will overclock higher than 4.0ghz, depending on your cooling solution of course.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
I totally agree, I love my P5WD2-Premium and have no idea why slade's isn't sold yet.<br><br>
Just because it allows for 800 speed doesn;t mean your 553 will run slower or limit you.<br><br>
Toss that ECS and grab the P5WD2 Premium...I bought mine for $197 last year and it was worth every penny.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts