Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Build so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kingyoshi9/saved/P4F7RB
Uses: Gaming, Video Rendering, Running multiple simultaneous Virtual Machines for application and network testing

I am looking for 128GB RAM kit suggestions for the above build.
(Price is not a consideration, I am looking for performance.)

I also have heard of some compatibility issues with getting 128GB kits working with Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 Motherboard's.
Is this true? If so, I could downgrade to a 64 GB kit, but generally want more RAM for simultaneous VM's I run for testing.

I generally build my computers to last for 10+ years with only upgrades to RAM, Harddrive and the GPU.

My current build is from 2010, has been through 8 moves and still runs everything without any problems.
The only reason I am being forced to build something new is that my processor is not supported by Windows 10/11, therefore I cannot upgrade to it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Build so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kingyoshi9/saved/P4F7RB
Uses: Gaming, Video Rendering, Running multiple simultaneous Virtual Machines for application and network testing

I am looking for 128GB RAM kit suggestions for the above build.
(Price is not a consideration, I am looking for performance.)

I also have heard of some compatibility issues with getting 128GB kits working with Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 Motherboard's.
Is this true? If so, I could downgrade to a 64 GB kit, but generally want more RAM for simultaneous VM's I run for testing.

I generally build my computers to last for 10+ years with only upgrades to RAM, Harddrive and the GPU.

My current build is from 2010, has been through 8 moves and still runs everything without any problems.
The only reason I am being forced to build something new is that my processor is not supported by Windows 10/11, therefore I cannot upgrade to it.

Any one of these will work great:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the link.
But I was looking more for Benchmarks and reviews for specific ram that has already been used and tested with my Asus ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA EATX sTRX4 motherboard.

I do like the "F4-3600C14Q2-128GVKA" kit though, but am unable to find any benchmarks or reviews on this specific kit with my motherboard.
(Also, the only place that seems to sell it is newegg. I could not find it anywhere else.)

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
I do like the "F4-3600C14Q2-128GVKA" kit though, but am unable to find any benchmarks or reviews on this specific kit with my motherboard.
(Also, the only place that seems to sell it is newegg. I could not find it anywhere else.)
Those are amazing DIMMs, that kit is super impressive. I seriously doubt you will run into issues with it, but I don't have any experience with that kit on the board.

I expect you haven't seen other reports because they are fairly new and not many get memory that good for 3970X systems. There are a lot of memory options so you often cannot find people testing your exact combination.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Would you provide a link or two regarding discussion of this? The PCPP page you link to discusses issues using 256GB of RAM, but 128GB is a lot less effort (depending on whether using 16GB or 32GB DIMMs). Motherboard manufacturers are usually quite conservative regarding claims for RAM, and they also rarely update QVL lists, so if a board came out before general availability of 32GB DIMMs, most boards will say 128GB is the maximum... even if 256GB will work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for all of your replies.

I will give this kit a shot and see how things go. :)

Would you provide a link or two regarding discussion of this? The PCPP page you link to discusses issues using 256GB of RAM, but 128GB is a lot less effort (depending on whether using 16GB or 32GB DIMMs). Motherboard manufacturers are usually quite conservative regarding claims for RAM, and they also rarely update QVL lists, so if a board came out before general availability of 32GB DIMMs, most boards will say 128GB is the maximum... even if 256GB will work.
Yes, there were discussions regarding the larger kits for the board that had made me nervous.
I would need to see if I can dig through my history to find the articles.

Thank you for the additional information.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
One thing I'll add is that on first gen Threadripper, I had an issue with a work system where a pre-matched set of 8 sticks had two of them (totalling 32GB) not show up until I first booted the board with a single stick, then shutdown, popped all the rest in and started it up again. Since that time, even with a long-term loss of AC power, it's never been a problem. I just put it down to first-gen early bird teething issues at the time as this was just a few weeks after Threadripper was released...

If you do find the articles, that would be great. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'am using the same mobo with 3970x and the F4-3600C16Q2-256GTRG Kit. The first time the pc wont boot so i placed only 128gb which worked and then i added the next 128gb.
This kit runs great!

But i would not go with the 128GB 3600 CL14 because Threadripper would not be much faster in Aida64 bench.
A long time ago i got a 256gb CL18 kit and i would say i does not matter CL16 or CL18.

In germany you can preorder the 256GB CL16 Kit for the same price like the 128GB 3600 CL14,
so i would prefer the 256gb kit.
Also preordered for a month ago a second 256gb ram kit - hopefully G.Skill can deliver amazon soon. ;)

BTW, you should know Wendel's 256GB CL18 video:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'am using the same mobo with 3970x and the F4-3600C16Q2-256GTRG Kit. The first time the pc wont boot so i placed only 128gb which worked and then i added the next 128gb.
This kit runs great!

But i would not go with the 128GB 3600 CL14 because Threadripper would not be much faster in Aida64 bench.
A long time ago i got a 256gb CL18 kit and i would say i does not matter CL16 or CL18.

In germany you can preorder the 256GB CL16 Kit for the same price like the 128GB 3600 CL14,
so i would prefer the 256gb kit.
Also preordered for a month ago a second 256gb ram kit - hopefully G.Skill can deliver amazon soon. ;)

BTW, you should know Wendel's 256GB CL18 video:
Thank you for all of the information and the video! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts