Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this thread is in the right place...

I need to know what everyone suggests as far as the best performance booster for the money for my rig. I currently have this ram 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Speed: 333 (DDR2 667). I would like to add more. I also would like to overclock my cpu at some point...and maybe the ram if its possible. Here is what my mobo will hold:

2 x DIMM, DDR3 1333/ 1066/ 800 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
4 x DIMM, DDR2 1066/ 800/ 667 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory

My options as I see it:

Replace all my existing ram (2 2gig sticks) with 1066DDR2 and place a total 8 gigs in.

Keep existing and add 4 more gigs of the same as I have now

Replace current with DDR3 1333 - 4 gigs? 8 gigs?

Any other options I'm missing? Can I combine same memory but different brands?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife and I have a photography business. We do alot of photo editing and video editing. She does 90% of the work, I do the upkeep on the computers. So I guess we just want something that will help her work more efficiently (reduce loading times, read, write times, etc) yet also allow me to play BFBC2 on high settings with a high FPS...

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
You're not going to get a huge boost in your gaming from the memory. Video and (some) photo editing will use as much RAM as you can throw at it. I still think, if you can fit your OS, your photo editor of choice, the photos or videos you're working on, and BC2 on an SSD in your budget.. get one.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on getting an SSD or two for my next build which people from here are helping me pick parts for. However, I currently think the best bet for this current cpu that won't sacrifice work downtime will be to add RAM. With that being said, what type of RAM do you suggest? I know you suggested DDR3 but 4 gig sticks aren't cheap. Will I see any performance gain using 4 more gigs of the same ram I have now? I plan to OC this machine a little bit, but not much.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
If you're already running 4GB, unless you can confirm you're maxing it out and hitting the swap/page file a lot, then I wouldn't add any more ram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts