Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for starters i have got some new ram 2 x 512MB 3200 memory and my timings on the bios indicate that they are 3.0, 3, 3, 8 currently.

I want to change the timings a little and under the bios so i can do 2 things for the timings:

1) manual - aggressive timings being 2.5, 2, 2, 5 that the system selects or
2) manual - timings i adjust

so plese post your opinions on what i may want to set the timings at but i think that the aggressive timings are too low for the ram that i have.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Well, seeing how you're on an Intel mobo, and can't overclock, then I would go for the tightest possible timings. Start tweaking down each timing one at a time. Set to manual, and go from your current setting of 3-3-3-8, if it is running stably at that setting. Boot into Windows, and run 25 passes of Sandra's burn-in (of course, you can always boot from a Memtest boot disk, as well). Once you have tweaked them down to the point where it's mostly stable, but maybe errors every once in a while or randomly reboots, you can really put Sandra's burn-in test to use. The beauty w/ RAM is (if you're willing to take the time), it can be burned in. Once you're at the aforementioned setting, wherein it is mostly stable, run Sandra's burn-in indefinitely. Let it run over night, and if it's still going in the morning, then your RAM should be stable at the new timings. If it has locked up at some point, then reboot your system and start up Sandra's burn-in again. If it locks up more than 3 or 4 times of doing this, then you will probably need to loosen timings a bit, and start over.

Yes, this is time consuming, but it will be worth it in the long run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts