Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell the standard DDR2 RAM voltage that most mobos are set at is 1.8v. My OCZ RAM indicates that it runs at 2.1v, according to the stickers on the DIMMS which provide all the pertinent information. I set mine somewhere in between [1.9v] because I wasn't sure, but should I be running the DDR voltage at a full 2.1 volts, or just go with how I have it, which seems to work?

·
PC Evangelist
47,773 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CASEfan View Post
As far as I can tell the standard DDR2 RAM voltage that most mobos are set at is 1.8v. My OCZ RAM indicates that it runs at 2.1v, according to the stickers on the DIMMS which provide all the pertinent information. I set mine somewhere in between [1.9v] because I wasn't sure, but should I be running the DDR voltage at a full 2.1 volts, or just go with how I have it, which seems to work?
With my ram is like this:

DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v or DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post
run it at 2.1v. 1.8v is just a standard spec of ddr2. Any lower than 2.1 and you might have stability issues.
qft

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, thanks for the super fast replies. Time to restart and check for increased stability in P95, which is really what I'm after. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to fry anything. I wont try to tighten the latencies just yet, but that's a good point.

Edit: Running tests now. Also reduced my OC slightly. Running P95, looking for stability. Wish me luck.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Wow but another example of some who OC but do not have a clue (not at OP) as to what they are doing and why they are doing it.

What do I mean? Well so simple it begs why explanation.

You raise your v when you increase clocks or lower timings. You do not do it for kicks. You ideally only increase to the level that allows stability. Lower is always better if you have stability. But sometimes you cannot achieve it lower voltages so you must. And by all means go for it.

I am getting very tired of repeating JEDEC standards and explaining them. And before someone responds they are also sick of hearing me do such? Then post something that makes since as to how you know more than JEDEC? And since JEDEC is the DDR standard if you dismiss it you are what? Not using making or selling DDR, DDR2 or DDR3 RAM or any of the others such as GDDR3?

For all the kids DDR2 must be able to handle 2.3v without damage. It does not mean it will function correctly. Well the OC'ers learned that increasing clocks/lower timings could remain stable by increasing v. That RAM you buy basically says the MFG has said they have tested at those voltages and are stable (of course higher clocks or lower timings).

If you are going to OC test your RAM do not just set the clocks/timings or v. Test and find your tolerances. They vary fro DIMM to DIMM just as CPU's do.

Take your time and do correct. If not just buy the best most expensive components and don't pretend to be an OC'er.

Just thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
i run mine at 1.8 its supposed to be at like 2.2 (maybe 2.0 idk) or something but it runs fine at 1.8v, FOR ME.
if u just wanna do 800mhz cas 5 i gurantee itll run at 1.8v, for cas 4 u may need 1.8v u may need more, just play withit and run memtest.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If it has timing tables, Use CPUZ to check then set it at the voltage and timings for the speed you want. 1.8v 4,4,4,12 for 800 2.1v 5,5,5,18 for 1066 etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well as I said, I'm thinking the increased voltage can aid in more stability. And I'm comfortable with going with the memory manufacturer's voltage setting, rather than a standard written by JEDEC. It's like going with your tire manufacturer's PSI setting, rather than the car maker's generic setting. Neither will get you in trouble, but one may have better results.

lol, Didn't mean to start trash on your boys at JEDEC. That was an interesting, yet pointless rant.

So far, all indications are good. Just need a lot more time to stress test.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You should always use the car specs on the tires. The tire specs are the general ones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_russell View Post
If it has timing tables, Use CPUZ to check then set it at the voltage and timings for the speed you want. 1.8v 4,4,4,12 for 800 2.1v 5,5,5,18 for 1066 etc.
Yes CPUZ has that, only the reported timings are dead wrong if you believe the information on the DIMM sticker. Also, the voltages CPUZ has are all 1.8 volts, another spec that appears to be incorrect.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'd go with the sticker myself. The tables were just a thought.

• Rep+
Reactions: CASEfan

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CASEfan View Post
And a good thought at that. Thanks for helping.
Sorry you sadly are talking driving MFG specs on tires but you want to drag race? I mean come on.

The only point I am really saying is your big bad 2.1v impress you consider all DDR2 must withstand 2.3v. Your RAM is not exactly the Conan the barbarian sticks?

Buy MFG tested but test yourself. We are clearly below any safe threshold? Other option is you don't buy this expensive RAM buy standard and get some gems that OC just as well.

Do you know there are only 5 companies in the world that make RAM (DRAM)?

Tires? What's next you gonna tell me about diapers?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never indicated that I think my RAM is blessed by the gods or is in some way special, only that the DIMMs themselves were asking for significantly more voltage than the mobo, by default, is set at. Actually it was on sale, like everything else in my rig, and was quite cheap.

As for the automotive analogy, I know what I said and I know what I'm talking about. A different size, or seasonal, or high performance tire may all be compatible for your car, but may all ask for different pressure ratings. It's not strange at all. And yes, pure drags will be run at MUCH lower pressure, for all out traction. I have years experience building engines and doing automotive machine work.

I am not a newb in computer building either, just had a quick question. Get off your high horse.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I am sorry I implied things. My only suggestion to you is possibly set high and throttle back or vice versa.

There are so many theories as to how to do. It is all about balance. I did say in my first post I was not talking about you (OP) maybe we have gotten off on a bad foot? And since I was not and never intend to have fun with serious intelligent questions ( I might of slipped also).

My uninformed method is if stable either increase clocks/lower timings or lower v or some equation of such.

Consider and consider I apologize as I did not intend to get on a high horse with you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the respectable reply. Your message isn't lost on me, I understand the 'increase slightly, check for problems, and repeat' method of OCing. I figured this well-informed group of OC'ers would easily know what I'm referring to, and point me into the right direction. Your information on the JEDEC standard is also extremely helpful to know about DDR2 in general.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t_russell
View Post

You should always use the car specs on the tires. The tire specs are the general ones.

please say you're joking on that one.

anyways, I'd go with manufacture spec on voltage for certian settings. on my OCZ ram on all settings it runs 1.8v, but when you go to 1066 settings, even though the timings stay the same, you need to run 2.1v to be stable

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Run the spec'd voltage that comes with the RAM. I recall a lot of OCZ ram suggests higher than "typical" voltages. On my S939 rig, my OCZ ram was supposed to run at 2.8v (DDR), but my mobo bios only went to 2.6v IIRC (or something along those lines).

Doesn't matter what other modules run, or what the "typical" voltage is. Run it at what's specified on your RAM--just like you'd run your CPU stock based on your CPU's VID, not some random voltage that appears to be typical.

Regarding the analogy of tires--it's similar. You are always supposed to inflate your car tires to what's specified on the inside of the driver's door, not what's listed on the tires themselves--it just so happens that most of the time, these values are the same--but not always.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts