Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What RAM should I get for my new build? It would run on a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D mobo with a 3700+ San Diego. I would like to keep it about $140 or less, and I would like 1 GB dual channel DDR 400.

I've been recommended these:

G.Skill 1 GB

OCZ Gold Series

Which would be better? Or would another be better?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkat

id go with the OCZ just for the name and the heatspreaders, plus i thought it was the best stuff ive ever owned.

Alright, but I've heard that some brands of RAM like Corsair don't work well on the DFI boards. Is the OCZ one of them?

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Corsair works fine with DFI boards, at least mine does. OCZ should be fine as well.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'd recommend the G.SKILL, just because I like G.SKILL. Both should work fine.

BTW, pjlietz, there is a known issue with Corsair and DFI boards, and it often doesn't work. You apparently got lucky.

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Both are Winbond UTT BH5, but the G.Skill has Brainpower PCB, which should give you better performance than regular no-name PCB, which the OCZ seems to use. The difference is probably negligible, but it's there. Both kits are capable of at least DDR520 2-2-2-5 with decent air cooling (a MUST as BH RAM gets really hot as you pump the volts into them). Although I have no experience with the OCZ stuff, I would recommend both.

The reason why most Corsair ram doesn't work with DFI boards is not that it's Corsair, it's the type of chips Corsair uses. Back in the day, Corsair had a stock of Winbond and Samsung chips, and those were able to run fine in DFI boards. Nowadays, Corsair RAM uses some weird stuff (Hynix????) in their RAM, which the DFI boards don't really like. It's the type of IC that matters, not the brand.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

Corsair works fine with DFI boards, at least mine does. OCZ should be fine as well.

Ah, I just looked at a review for the DFI board on Newegg and someone said:

Quote:

Runs my OCZ Gold 2-2-2-5 like a dream.

That's good news

and someone else said:

Quote:

Motherboard with Corsair Rocks!!

So that is also good news.

But does anyone suggest any different RAM from the ones I mentioned above? Because the ones I mentioned are just ones that I was suggested in the past...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

I'd recommend the G.SKILL, just because I like G.SKILL. Both should work fine.

BTW, pjlietz, there is a known issue with Corsair and DFI boards, and it often doesn't work. You apparently got lucky.

I thought that I heard about some people saying that there were problems with it sometimes (but not all the time, just more than normal)

And thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by decimate

Both are Winbond UTT BH5, but the G.Skill has Brainpower PCB, which should give you better performance than regular no-name PCB, which the OCZ seems to use. The difference is probably negligible, but it's there. Both kits are capable of at least DDR520 2-2-2-5 with decent air cooling (a MUST as BH RAM gets really hot as you pump the volts into them). Although I have no experience with the OCZ stuff, I would recommend both.

Would the 'negligible' difference be any more noticible when playing a RAM-whore game like Battlefield 2? Because I play that...

And since you said that they get hot, I might go with the OCZ if the no-name PCB isn't a noticible difference, because it's $1 cheaper (ha) and it comes with a heatspreader. The G.Skill does not...

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would suggest the G.SKILL Extreme Series. They have the Samsung TCCD chips, highly overclockable. Search up the ones with the 2-2-2-6 timings, I think they're $150, and have white heatspreaders. Not sure if newegg carries them anymore. I'd search for you, but I'm too lazy

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Actually the G.SKill does come with a heatspreader...

If I were you, I'd just flip a coin. If you're a money whore, though, the OCZ is for you

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

I would suggest the G.SKILL Extreme Series. They have the Samsung TCCD chips, highly overclockable. Search up the ones with the 2-2-2-6 timings, I think they're $150, and have white heatspreaders. Not sure if newegg carries them anymore. I'd search for you, but I'm too lazy

I'll look for them. They weren't on Newegg. The only 2x512mb ddr400 G.SKILL RAM were these four:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&ATTR8=&ATTR9=

But I'll check them out if I find them. Although I'm not sure I'll be overclocking... I probably won't overclock much, if at all.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by decimate

Actually the G.SKill does come with a heatspreader...
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...231-013-04.JPG

If I were you, I'd just flip a coin. If you're a money whore, though, the OCZ is for you

Ah, so it does. I couldn't tell in Newegg's smaller picture, and in the specs it said that it did not come with one. So I just assumed it didn't.

Thanks a lot for the help

I think I'll go with the G.Skill, since you said it had better PCB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts