Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have 24GB of memory in my system. I want to use 4GB as my primary
drive to install OS. How can I go about it?

Just want to play around since I edit HD videos and I want take advantage of the speed of RAM.

·
Registered
123 Posts
24gb of ram?!? holy cow, you should just got 12 gigs and bought a nice ssd

Edit: I've never used RAMdisk so I couldn't tell you. I'd be very interested to hear how that works though

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 24GB because I do After Effects Editing and memory is so much needed for RAM Preview. It preloads some of your scenes on the ram so you do not have to wait.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's very nice eseb1. You know the factor why you have a greater speed. Maybe memory timings.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
buddyme, there is a program called RAM disk that you can download for free. its the program that was used in the video. It will let you create RAM disks, however, they erase and go away once the computer is shut down.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those interested.

I tried the software in the video and it auto backups to any location you want.
I setup C:\\backramdisk and rebooted, the next time it booted the
files putted back there in my ramdisk. F:\\myramdisk automatically.

Very nice software.

Now I just need a good UPS for power outages.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
You can create your RamDisk using something like this. You can't boot your main OS from it though (since you need an OS to set up the ramdisk in the first place, but you could run your VM's from it.

If you really wanted to mess with the setup you could look into chainloading your OS from a ram drive, but I'm not sure what software/OS you could use to get it to work. I did something similar using DOS to load a modified Windows 98 image into RAM before booting the system proper a few years ago - was quite interesting to do it, but the same tricks won't work with more modern Windows systems.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
you can't run your os in a ramdisk. in order to do something similar, I'd install a light linux distro, and virtualize windows on a ramdisk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
buddyme, there is a program called RAM disk that you can download for free. its the program that was used in the video. It will let you create RAM disks, however, they erase and go away once the computer is shut down.
Yup, for regular ramdisk it erases it but this software has a mechanism to backup automatically and reloads automatically back to your ramdisk location.
This guy remembers the settings so you can really think that it's a harddrive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZHoob2004 View Post
you can't run your os in a ramdisk. in order to do something similar, I'd install a light linux distro, and virtualize windows on a ramdisk.
Great idea ZHoob2004. I am thinking along that lines.
This is going to be a good exercise.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyme View Post
Great idea ZHoob2004. I am thinking along that lines.
This is going to be a good exercise.

Virtualizing windows will drop your performance by 20% if you're lucky, 50% if you aren't, and some things might not work.

The best idea would be to install your OS on a SSD and just install After Effects on the RAM disk.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@nathris
But the thing is, some of the files will still be in c:\\, registry, etc. and not in ramdisk even if you point it to f:\
amdisk. Yeah but it's good and worth a try.
I'm also thinking about installing the AE in a sandboxie and see the performance.
Install the sandboxie to f:\\ and install AE to sandboxie.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Have a look into SuperVolume - it is paid software (and is quite expensive), but you may be able to almost do what you want. Basically it mirrors a disk partition in RAM - kinda like extreme write-back cache. Not sure if you can do it with your normal OS partition or not, but I know the similar SuperCache can work this way (because I am using it right now on my laptop), so it might work ok.

·
Registered
663 Posts
dunno if this would work (but in 2008r2 it might)

If you could get c:\\ down to 8 gigs or so (or whatever a fresh windows install is)

make an 8g ramdisk, add it as a mirror to the c: drive , let it rebuild,
then take the spinning drive offline.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts