Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I saw this one thread talking about using your ram as a disk, or ramdisk. It said that whatever stuff was loaded onto it would load up faster and whatnot. I was thinking about it and remembered that I have 2 1gb sticks sittin here and was wondering whether it is worth putting them in and using them as ramdisks. I'm not worried about losing data or anything cause one, I'm not putting anything important on the disk, and two, the software for ramdisk (its a free cenatek beta version) makes an image every 300 seconds or whatever time you specify and an image at shutdown. So what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
The only files you'll place in the RAMDisk would be temp files.... (i.e. brower temp files and cache). You probably won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
933 Posts
A ramdisk is usually for things that need to do small writes and reads of temporary files.
It is a way to work around a slow HD.
i.e. I used it on my EEE PC 900 with a slow 16gb SSD to speed up FF by redirecting all the temporary files to it.

They really aren't for data.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_disk
Software ramdisks use the normal RAM in main memory as if it were a partition on a hard drive rather than actually accessing the data bus normally used for secondary storage.

Basically, if you are one of the lucky people to have 8+gb's of RAM, you can install an operating system onto your RAM, making the load time faster than any SSD on the market.
However, if you have, say 16gb of RAM, you set aside 8gb of RAM for a RAMDisk, you only have 8gb of space you can use in a normal environment, and 8gb for the OS/programs.
Some people with 8gb of RAM make a RAMDisk of around 3-4gb for programs like 3dsMax or Adobe Photoshop, to help decrease processing time and load times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts