Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question here regarding the correct way to plug fans into the rampage motherboard, mine gone to RMA couple days ago so i dont have it in front of me now but as far i can remember there is 1 plug for cpu, 1 for psu fan, 3 for case fans and 3 optional.
Now i have installed watercooling and i have 3 120mm fans with 4 pin socket up on top attached to bottom on radiator and would be convinient for me to plug them somewhere up on top of the motherboard, do i have to have them on optional slots or can they just be plugged anywere?!
Also on manual says not plugging the cpu fan can cause problems, but im on water cooling! can one of the rad fans be plugged there?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
You can plug the fans in anywhere, but the motherboard's fan controller my throttle their speeds according to temperature, which is something you don't want on a radiator.

You don't need a CPU fan, if you don't plug one in you will get an error on boot, but you can just go into the BIOS and disable that error.

I would get some 3-pin -> molex adapters and plug the fans directly into the power supply, that way they will run at full speed all the time.

·
Performance is the bible
7,189 Posts
You can disable the fan speed control in the bios, so that the fans will be run at 100% all the time, regardless of temps. Thats not a problem.

Connecting your fans to the motherboard also depends on the fans. High watt fans aren't recommended to be connected to the motherboard.

Besides that, you can connect them anywhere on the motherboard. Even to the cpu fan connection. Just remember to disable the fan speed control.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sizuke View Post
So if you disable the speed control by default that particular fan will run at max rpm?
I don't think you can control the individual fans, I think it is more of a general fan controller. You want them running at full speed though for the lowest possible temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts