Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I just got Mafia 2 (which is great when it works
), but recently I've been getting constant, random crashes whenever I play. The screen will tear like crazy and audio will speed up or crack, and then it crashes. Then if I try to start the game up again, it doesn't even get to the company logos. What's really weird is that after Mafia crashes, I can't run any other game, video, or even start Firefox, because everything is corrupted. This problem goes away after rebooting, and no other games crash/artifact until Mafia crashes. Also, it looks like other people are getting something similar in the Steam forums, both from ATI and Nvidia cards. My card is overclocked to 800/1600/1800, 1037mv and the max temps are 75C in Furmark and 64C in Mafia, so it's not overheating. Is anyone else having the same problem?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Have you tried reinstalling Mafia 2 yet? Could it be a DirectX error or a Mafia 2 graphics engine problem? Are there any available patches available for the game yet?

If the problem is on the Steam forums and is in numerous accounts, I would venture to believe that the problem is on of the former in my above list being caused by some faulty code causing instability and crashing.

What happens if you force the game to run in DX9 mode. To do this create a shortcut for the games main .exe and add -dx9 outside the quotes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have this exact same problem. Practically renders the computer unusable until a reboot as other programs seem to be broken by whatever is causing the crash.

All of my drivers are up to date, I'll try forcing dx9 mode like Moltar suggested and see if that has any effect.

Would really like to find a fix for this!!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calavera View Post
have you tried playing at stock clocks? sometimes overclock is unstable in games regardless of how many stress tests you do. just saying.

I would give this ^ a shot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I set both my cpu and card's overclock back to stock for awhile. I was still getting crashes and there wasn't any difference when I got them when running stock clocks. Sometimes I can play for 15 minutes while other times no more than 5. This applies to when I'm running at stock settings and when they're overclocked. When I'm at stock clocks, I also can't play any other games or open Firefox until a reboot, so I don't think this is a hardware issue.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I have the game on Steam and I have had no issue's at all. You should look in the forum for Mafia 2 on Steam and see what they say.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read from some people that crashes can occur more on Asus motherboards, which just makes a whole lot of sense...I don't know how that could happen and it's pretty frustrating because other people are having the same issue with different motherboards. Also, no one on the Steam forums or even the 2k forums for Mafia 2 are posting any solutions so I honestly think 2k is just ignoring this.

What a way to waste 50 bucks, right?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by venom55520 View Post
can't be the game. i have an almost identical setup and it never once gave me problems.
Why then are a bunch of people crashing the same exact way? This is from using both ATI and Nvidia cards and you can check on the threads in the Steam and 2k forums for Mafia 2. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware related.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound like an ass. I just want to play this sweet game lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
I could almost replicate the crashes too. If I went speeding over a bridge or something and then just crashed straight into traffic at the other end the game would crash on impact. Maybe physics being on or my physx card (9600gt) or something else caused it, but it is definitely a problem.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I had the crashes. Maybe only 4 or 5 for the whole game - but frustrating nonetheless. The PC would completely lock-up and I'd have to do a hard re-start.

Stock GPU settings, sensible temps, newest drivers. I tried a reinstall after the first crash but it made no difference.

It seemed to happen at random times too... gunfights, driving, whatever.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
I'm thinking all these people that are having the crashing problems MIGHT be sharing a common software that hasn't been mentioned yet. I do know about the brightness bug after you quit the game (almost everybody has that bug). But I've personally NEVER experienced a hard crash from the game. I'll bet all of you that are having the crash have a common piece of software installed. Be it a driver, anti-virus, or even a web browser. I mean there could be ANY piece of software that the game just doesn't like for whatever reason.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPJ5624 View Post
Why then are a bunch of people crashing the same exact way? This is from using both ATI and Nvidia cards and you can check on the threads in the Steam and 2k forums for Mafia 2. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware related.

EDIT: Sorry if I sound like an ass. I just want to play this sweet game lol
i don't know man, i was giving my input. i guess it was my fault for not researching it. but i clicked the steam link and the dude had an OC which why i thought he was having crashes. did you try setting your system to stock and seeing if that does anything?
then again, i haven't played it since i beat it which was like 2 days after release, so it could be a new patch for it or something.

BTW: i love your avatar, biggie smalls is the illest!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts