Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been living with this for over a year now and i just cant handle it any more! as I'm typing this I'm downloading GTA from steam at 1.8 MB/s. I'm expecting it to drop to 100kb/s soon... I sometimes have a great connection then it just drops for no apparent reason.

My computer is connected to my router that is 2 floors below me though wireless AND wired. I disabled the wireless and ran off of wired and its about the same DL speed.

The cord is around 42' long and I can only connect through wired if i set my speed/duplex to 10 mbps Full duplex. I tested the wire with a cable tester and everything checked out perfect.

What could be causing this? should i change any settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
1)Your ISP is throttling everyone during peak times
2)Steam sometimes just stops downloading
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ISP is throttling? What is that exactly? how can i get them to stop? it doesn't seem right that they drop my internet soo low that i cant even play games...

It seems kind of crazy that they drop me from 2 MB/s to 100kb/s do you have to pay more so they dont do that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daris1015;13118508
ISP is throttling? What is that exactly? how can i get them to stop? it doesn't seem right that they drop my internet soo low that i cant even play games...

It seems kind of crazy that they drop me from 2 MB/s to 100kb/s do you have to pay more so they dont do that?
Troubleshooting those types of issues when you don't know what to look for can be a crap shoot. You're first priority is to determine where the point of failure is occurring. Then you can decide under who's administrative control this issue falls within.. If the problem is inside the demarcation point on your customer premises equipment they won't do squat for you..

Can you setup a simple FTP server (filezilla) between two machines or use a network share in your home to transfer some large files and see if this issue is systemic? You've got to really stress test your network for that to work. Maybe some local ripped Blu-ray's in raw format? Those are normally 35+ gigs each. The point is to try and reproduce the results.

Then you'll at least have an idea of where to start..

Edit: P.S, Something is seriously wrong with with your equipment if can only support 10/mb full duplex communication between your Ethernet adapter and the switch/router you're using. Bad port on the switch/router, bad drivers on you machine, something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its defiantly not my PC. all my drivers are up to date and I've gone through 3 PCs now and the problem has been the same in all of them. Our house is wired to have ethernet in every room and the cables all run down to the basement where my router is.

So there is defiantly something going wrong somewhere between the port in my room and the isp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daris1015;13118408
The cord is around 42' long and I can only connect through wired if i set my speed/duplex to 10 mbps Full duplex. I tested the wire with a cable tester and everything checked out perfect.
You've got underlining issues with your network that you need to address before you go pointing fingers. You've got to figure out what exactly is causing your network card from allowing a connection above 10 mb/s. If you've tested the cable, that leaves your machine, the punch down box in wall of your room, or the switch port on your router..

If one of your machines supports auto-mdx plug in the cable to another computer to see if both of the machines will properly auto negotiate the correct speed/duplex supported on your cards. Something is causing the 802.3u auto negotiation to fail.. Fix that, you'll probably fix the issue with your download speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daris1015;13119679
its defiantly not my PC. all my drivers are up to date and I've gone through 3 PCs now and the problem has been the same in all of them. Our house is wired to have ethernet in every room and the cables all run down to the basement where my router is.

So there is defiantly something going wrong somewhere between the port in my room and the isp
What do you mean you've gone through 3 PC's. All your machines in the house are doing the same thing? Or just in your room. That's kind of an important thing to point out..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Daris1015
View Post

its defiantly not my PC. all my drivers are up to date and I've gone through 3 PCs now and the problem has been the same in all of them. Our house is wired to have ethernet in every room and the cables all run down to the basement where my router is.

So there is defiantly something going wrong somewhere between the port in my room and the isp

This sounds like a hardware issue. A couple of things it could be:

1. What type of Ethernet cable was your house wired with? CAT 3 Ethernet can only support 10Mb/s. Hopefully it is CAT 5 or better.

2. What router do you have? It could be a setting that needs to be changed, or (more likely) the RJ-45 jack might be going bad. A faulty RJ-45 jack on your motherboard may also be the issue.

Also, try running this from your command line: tracert www.google.com
It will show you how long each hop is taking / if your are having packet loss on your ISP's line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by scottsee
View Post

What do you mean you've gone through 3 PC's. All your machines in the house are doing the same thing? Or just in your room. That's kind of an important thing to point out..

I really don't think its my computer that's the issue. I have built 3 new computers and i have been using them in my room. they have all had the same problem.

I did a lot of testing last night. I have found that in every room of my house if i want to connect through wired then i need to set the speed&duplex down 10 10mb/s full.
and when i connect directly to the router i have no problems.

So this leads me to believe that the problem is in my Ethernet cable.
There is a direct line from router to my room. and it is indeed cat5. I have a feeling the problem may be in the plugs. For they are not factory made. They were wired then crimped. maybe there is a bad crimp?

We have a hub that is built into the wall that i can wire the cat5 cable directly into. I could then use a 1' Ethernet cable that would go from the hub into my router. I've been thinking about installing it this might help.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top