Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well lately i've been getting a bunch of random freezes where i can move my mouse and click stuff but i cant type. when the freezes happen things like javascript stop working until a few seconds after the freeze starts. example, i can be typing and then i get the freeze, but continue typing...then a few seconds later all the text i just typed comes up. this happened 2 times so far typing this thread. it seems as if the freezes started happening after i installed this gigabyte wireless card i had that didnt even work, but i took it out and rma'd it with newegg and got a different card from ocn. idk what to do...its extremely annoying when im'ing friends, google searches, etc.
what do you think is wrong? i've already scanned for viruses which didnt help.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsBobtista
View Post

Format!!

no way i just reformatted like a month ago
i also have the same problem in xp 32 bit.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Crap like this happened to me off an on for about 6 months, turned out I had a bad stick of RAM. MemTest couldn't even catch it, I had to use MS's memory test, which runs before the OS starts up.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ugh if i have a bad stick of ram im going to shoot myself. this would be the 3rd time i would have to buy new ram. ill try rnning memtest

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i passed it twice with no errors so thats not the problem...
let it run while i finished my custom side panel

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 500sd
View Post

i passed it twice with no errors so thats not the problem...
let it run while i finished my custom side panel

Memtest never found my errors either. I ran it 12 hours and it never found it, ran MS's memory test and found it the first time.

If you're passing that test then you may try updating all drivers, updating BIOS, making sure you've got enough power, try unplugging EVERYTHING you don't absolutely need to test it out. And of course, make sure you're running everything at stock speeds.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Tell it to loop test 5 five times. Then test 8 five times. Those are the two tests most likely to find an error, especially if repeatedly ran consecutively. (My memory, when bad, did not start throwing errors until the third pass.) I am sure you are, but you are using MemTest86+ correct?

·
Science
3,485 Posts
Have you tried everything at stock clocks? Maybe even down clocking your ram?

·
Registered
508 Posts
did you uninstall the old drivers from the card you rma'd. i'm betting its conflicting drivers that are causing those problems. try running driver sweeper to remove all wireless router drivers and then reinstall the new card.

here is a link for the app:
http://www.phyxion.net/Products/Prod...eeper/Download

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
everything is at stock clocks. i uninstalled the other cards drivers. yes im using memtest86
5 or 8 times?!?! that would take forever to finish...like a whole day

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Tests five and eight, five times each. Couple of hours at most.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 500sd
View Post

everything is at stock clocks. i uninstalled the other cards drivers. yes im using memtest86
5 or 8 times?!?! that would take forever to finish...like a whole day

Did you run a memtest before the OS has started?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

Did you run a memtest before the OS has started?

yes of course...is there even any other way?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I guess maybe you could run it in a virtual machine, even though this would be very unhelpful. Have you had a chance yet to run multiple passes of tests 5 and 8 solely?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitz6804
View Post

I guess maybe you could run it in a virtual machine, even though this would be very unhelpful. Have you had a chance yet to run multiple passes of tests 5 and 8 solely?

nope, ive been using my computer all day every day. are you sure this would even be the problem? freezing caused by ram? wouldnt the system have trouble booting if i had a bad stick?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Quote:

ope, ive been using my computer all day every day. are you sure this would even be the problem? freezing caused by ram? wouldnt the system have trouble booting if i had a bad stick?

Not necessarily bad ram does many different wonderful funny things.
If you have other ram to pop in you can try that. Or try 1 stick at a time.... Memory "sadly" is the cause of many peoples problems.....

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I have had RAM that ran perfectly fine until you tried to run Orthos, OCCT, whatever, at which case it would fail. But, it was 24/7 stable otherwise, and could game too no issues. RAM is a very problematic thing at times.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
What AV are you using? If it's Norton or Symantec, there's your problem.

If not, can you leave your task manager open and see if anything is tearing through your resources?

Also, are these freezes only occurring within a web browser, i.e. (no pun intended) firefox
?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by esocid View Post
What AV are you using? If it's Norton or Symantec, there's your problem.

If not, can you leave your task manager open and see if anything is tearing through your resources?

Also, are these freezes only occurring within a web browser, i.e. (no pun intended) firefox
?
i use avast. i tried shutting it off and the problem still happened. nothing catches my eye in task manager. i tried having notepad and task manager open side by side while typing continuously and when the freeze happened, task manager froze up too -.- as in the memory usage numbers stopped changing

the freezes happen while gaming too

1 - 20 of 53 Posts