Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a weird problem the last few months that I cannot diagnose at all.

Symptoms:
  • PC randomly turns off fully, no clean shutdown but a full power off with relais clicking in the PSU / main board.
  • Often I can see it coming when windows UI starts to lag / slow down when opening folders or stuff like Windows Media Player refuses to launch.

Diagnosis:
  • One of my M.2's is giving issues when going over a certain amount of data on it. This seems related to triggering this issue.
  • 3080 has those weird Gigabyte flat 8 pin cables with the connector block hanging loose as I don't use the stock cooler. Also seems related.
  • Event viewer does not show any logs. Only incorrect shutdown and failed to complete logs due to loss of power.
  • Crash NEVER happens under load. Stress tests and gaming is fully stable.
  • Crash CAN happen under load IF the dodgy M.2 is in use at the same time. It happened when copying ~120GB of Shadowplay files TO the drive while playing Metro. Also happened while installing World of Tanks to that specific drive.

• Things I've tested:
  • Full windows reinstall on a different M.2 in a different slot. The possibly faulty M.2 is still installed and in use as game storage.
  • Overclocks off and re-did them and re-stress tested them. No failures under load whatsoever.
  • Bought new custom cables for the 3080 eliminating the dodgy connector block but they haven't showed up after 1.5 months...
  • Moved the M.2 drives to different slots to eliminate broken slots or bad contact.
  • Disabled the not correctly working AsMedia USB 3.2 Type C controller after the event viewer told me ONCE that was related to the crash. Makes sense as the connector on the board is bent.
  • BIOS reset and reflash. No effect.

I haven't had the crashes for a few weeks after wiping every M.2 I have and reinstalling windows 10 pro 21h1 cleanly. Now that that M.2 has some games and files on it again it started to do it again as soon as installing some more stuff on that drive and now the random crashes and Windows UI slowdowns are back...

Can a faulty M.2 drive cause a full power off crash? I mean, the diagnosis tells me it is that drive but it makes absolutely zero sense. I can remove the drive of course just the crashes take a long time to happen and it's the one behind the GPU now which is a hell to remove...

·
Facepalm
10,014 Posts
I have been having a weird problem the last few months that I cannot diagnose at all.

Symptoms:
  • PC randomly turns off fully, no clean shutdown but a full power off with relais clicking in the PSU / main board.
  • Often I can see it coming when windows UI starts to lag / slow down when opening folders or stuff like Windows Media Player refuses to launch.

Diagnosis:
  • One of my M.2's is giving issues when going over a certain amount of data on it. This seems related to triggering this issue.
  • 3080 has those weird Gigabyte flat 8 pin cables with the connector block hanging loose as I don't use the stock cooler. Also seems related.
  • Event viewer does not show any logs. Only incorrect shutdown and failed to complete logs due to loss of power.
  • Crash NEVER happens under load. Stress tests and gaming is fully stable.
  • Crash CAN happen under load IF the dodgy M.2 is in use at the same time. It happened when copying ~120GB of Shadowplay files TO the drive while playing Metro. Also happened while installing World of Tanks to that specific drive.

• Things I've tested:
  • Full windows reinstall on a different M.2 in a different slot. The possibly faulty M.2 is still installed and in use as game storage.
  • Overclocks off and re-did them and re-stress tested them. No failures under load whatsoever.
  • Bought new custom cables for the 3080 eliminating the dodgy connector block but they haven't showed up after 1.5 months...
  • Moved the M.2 drives to different slots to eliminate broken slots or bad contact.
  • Disabled the not correctly working AsMedia USB 3.2 Type C controller after the event viewer told me ONCE that was related to the crash. Makes sense as the connector on the board is bent.
  • BIOS reset and reflash. No effect.

I haven't had the crashes for a few weeks after wiping every M.2 I have and reinstalling windows 10 pro 21h1 cleanly. Now that that M.2 has some games and files on it again it started to do it again as soon as installing some more stuff on that drive and now the random crashes and Windows UI slowdowns are back...

Can a faulty M.2 drive cause a full power off crash? I mean, the diagnosis tells me it is that drive but it makes absolutely zero sense. I can remove the drive of course just the crashes take a long time to happen and it's the one behind the GPU now which is a hell to remove...
A full power off is from a short or OCP/OVP detection.
The only thing you can do is to remove the M.2 and test without the m.2 installed, regardless of how inconvenient it is.

·
Registered
986 Posts
^ What this guy said.

Could just be PSU as well but unless you've got a spare lying around I'd rule the M.2 out first before replacing.

·
Overclocker
4,359 Posts
It's a short of some kind as suggested. Most common short is putting a motherboard on a motherboard tray where the standoffs are misaligned to the holes of the motherboard.
The standoff(s) are making contact with the solider points of the motherboard causing it to randomly turn off. You can mimic this by taking a screw driver and lightly touch something metallic on the motherboard.

However, that's not the only way.
Module PSU's where the cable connector is not fully seated
Something on the motherboard itself
ETC

·
Registered
858 Posts
Could be caused by ram overclocking, no matter how stable it was in tests. Try to restore everything to default.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RAM overclocking that trigger a full power-off shutdown? I mean, ok.

I've just been playing Metro Exodus + chrome + streaming it on discord @ all max RT on settings, zero issues. It's perfectly fine under load at least.

The PSU is a Seasonic 1000w Prime Ultra Gold one. Not the newest but I bought it to replace my 750w Focus Plus as that couldn't handle the transient loads from my 2080 Ti and 3080 and this model uses the same cables as I have full cablemod cables except for the PCI-E ones which are stock and the replacements from ModDYI are in the mail. I am running 2 separate PCI-E cables, not 1 with 2 connectors.

I'll do some more file r/w testing on that m.2 and if it happens again I'll remove it.

If it still happens I'll remove the memory OC as well.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was having a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad connection at the PSU on one of the cables. I've seen this a few times now :)
Especially with the Corsair cables which are not a tight fit.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,187 Posts
There have been some problems with some CableMod cables in the past so before you start swaping PSU´s and whatnot try the stock cables first

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'll pull off the back panel first tomorrow and dive into my PSU bay to check and replug the cables. It's very full in there with RGB controllers and PWM hubs and this did start after changing to a different brand of hub and I did have all the cables out at that point.

I just started Division 2 for a raid, instantly powered off. Let it boot again, and now I've been playing for 2 hours no issues. It's so random lol.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 3080 custom cables showed up today.

Let's see if this makes a difference. I haven't checked the PSU side yet. I did remove a load of files from the M.2 I don't trust anymore as well. If it doesn't happen now it was either one of those 2 things. I'll replace that M.2 regardless. It's only a 500GB 970 EVO and I think I'm going to swap it for a other 1TB one so I have 2 identical ones and 2 SATA SSD's for slower storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts