Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm having random shutdowns only in BattleField 3.

Specs are in my signature.

CPU Temp maxes out at 57C

GPU Temp maxes out below 85C

Anything else let me know.

Thanks!

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

Test the voltages on your PSU and see if they are outputting what they need do.
What exactly do I need to test the voltages on my PSU?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineon2011 View Post

Are you running Core temp or any temp monitoring programs during BF3?
I've tried used CoreTemp and MSI Afterburner to monitor temps when i'm in BF3. I thought this was possibly causing the issue but it surely is not as I've turned them off and the random reboots still happen.

I also forgot to mention that my NorthBridge temp is idling at 75C. I'm guessing that's too high and could be a possible cause? MCP Temperature is NorthBridge correct?

I should also mention that I do believe it's either my Northbridge Temperatures or PSU. I'm leaning towards the North Bridge temps though...

Thanks!

·
Registered
771 Posts
How long have your overclock's been stable since playing BF3? Did this just happened or has this been going on for awhile, more than likely it is your overclock but the game is also full of bugs too.

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shineon2011 View Post

How long have your overclock's been stable since playing BF3? Did this just happened or has this been going on for awhile, more than likely it is your overclock but the game is also full of bugs too.
Never had a issue until three days ago. I have 166 hours currently on the game. I literally can't play a full game without my system shutting down, and once I start it back up for another run, it'll crash in under five minutes vs being able to run the game for normally 15-20 before the first shutdown.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Ah, didn't even notice you were overclocked. Yes, for now dmaster I recommend just bringing your BIOS back to factory optimized defaults, just to ensure there are no other issues. If it's still happening after that, you can test your PSU's voltage output with a multi meter. But we'll get to that when we need to
smile.gif

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

Ah, didn't even notice you were overclocked. Yes, for now dmaster I recommend just bringing your BIOS back to factory optimized defaults, just to ensure there are no other issues. If it's still happening after that, you can test your PSU's voltage output with a multi meter. But we'll get to that when we need to
smile.gif
Reset everything stock, played 10 minutes of BF3 and boom shutdown.
frown.gif

Does high temperatures on the NorthBridge cause shutdowns? 76 Idle seems high, though I'm unsure what the "Safe" Limit is for the NorthBridge.

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided it didn't even wanna start up today. Would power everything on for about one to two seconds and then shutdown. Reset CMOS and it solved the issue for now.

Would it be a good time to declare it's the motherboard and not PSU ?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

Would it be a good time to declare it's the motherboard and not PSU ?
When you reset your bios, did you do it yourself? Did you reset every setting you previously changed?

If so you might overlooked something and now by clearing CMOS it definitly reset everything to default.

That might be the reason...

• Rep+
Reactions: dmasteR

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

When you reset your bios, did you do it yourself? Did you reset every setting you previously changed?
If so you might overlooked something and now by clearing CMOS it definitly reset everything to default.
That might be the reason...
I did reset most everything back to default. CPU FSB, vCore, RAM timings. Those are the only things related to my overclock, everything else like Floppy, disc drive boot and etc were not touched.

The thing is though, I ran the system for six days without a issue until today. Today I had to reset via CMOS to even get it to start up.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Sounds like the system itself might be shutting down due to heat. I don't have sigs turned on, what kind of case do you have? What PSU/Wattage?

Although, if it's only been running for a few days overclocked, it very well could be the OC settings. If it were like a a month or two, I'd say it wasn't the OC at all.

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

Sounds like the system itself might be shutting down due to heat. I don't have sigs turned on, what kind of case do you have? What PSU/Wattage?
Although, if it's only been running for a few days overclocked, it very well could be the OC settings. If it were like a a month or two, I'd say it wasn't the OC at all.
The overclock was running for well over a year now, if not close to two years. Recently started to random shutdown when playing BattleField 3. So I had reset CPU FSB, vCore, RAM timings back to stock. Has been running fine for six days, until this morning where it would turn on for about one to two seconds and shutdown. So I figured I would reset CMOS, and thankfully it started back up.

My NorthBridge idles at 70C which is why I still believe and hope that it's my motherboard and not my PSU.

Case: ThermalTake Armor
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700watt

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
Replace the thermal paste on the north bridge. My evga 780i board runs at 60c on the NB @ 1.32v

Also it could be your PS, not the best unit really. power supply might be overheating, then shutting down or just starting to fail with age. Maybe try a new unit like a tx850 and if the problem still happens just return it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Oh now I noticed you have the 680i chipset...

IIRC they were very known for their high NB temps... (I had the ASUS 680i and 780i also)

So I don't think it's the NB temp causing these problems... I think...

You can always pop in a cooler to blow air over the NB heatsink or mount one onto it to suck off the hot air... See if it at least helps. If so you might want to do a replacement of the TIM (or just leave the cooler...)

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Decided to boot the machine up, and go figure it won't start up again. Everything turns on for a second or two and shuts down immediately. So I go and reset CMOS once again, even though I have not changed a single thing in BIOS since the last CMOS reset. Try to power it up and everything turns on for a second or two and shuts down immediately. Now I was out of ideas, but figured I would check that everything was plugged in, which it was. Tried powering it up again and it started.....

I'm so confused as to what this could be...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
You may think this is crap but replace your CMOS Battery...

Even though it might not old yet, a battery can die anyway, and if you have "strange" stuff going on, it might help... (And it won't be bad after all to change it)

I had some strange stuff with my 680i or 780i (forgot) and after the battery change it worked normal again...

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried to start it up this morning and it would just power everything on for 1-2 seconds again and shut off. Not even resetting the CMOS seems to be doing anything. I'll try the one stick of ram and my roommates 400 watt corsair PSU. That should be able to power up the system right with everything at stock?

Sent from my EVO 3D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts