Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the story.

Last night, we had a power outage. PC turns off.

This morning, turn it on. Everything is fine, boots up normally etc. However, I get no sound through my headset on front 3.5mm. So I switch to back mobo 3.5mm. Still no sound...beginning to get worried. I then test with another pair of headphones... Front and back, still no sound.

At this point, I restart pc, try again, no luck. I uninstall the audio device in device manager, restart, reinstall with new drivers. Still doesn't work.

When I play a video, the Windows volume mixer shows that audio is being played, I just can't hear it.

Any ideas? (I'm on my sig rig.)

P.S
I don't know if I should have posted this here.... seemed relevant though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@RallyMaster
But, that seems so unlikely its not even funny. How would just my audio be fried, and nothing else.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster
View Post

It's possible that your onboard audio just got fried.

Yep, it's not too uncommon. You can buy yourself a cheap-o soundcard to suffice, or you now have a reason to get a nice soundcard.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
^Pretty much what they said. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by desmin88
View Post

When I play a video, the Windows volume mixer shows that audio is being played, I just can't hear it.

this is a sign for no software issue > sadly its hardware

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen
View Post

Yep, it's not too uncommon. You can buy yourself a cheap-o soundcard to suffice, or you now have a reason to get a nice soundcard.

yeah , he has a MSI MoBo , the unbelievably unreliable mobos , chipset frying is common in MSI

the only thing to do is to get a dedicated sound card , after using it you will thank the MoBo for frying the on-board

the cheapest good card to get is Xonar DG 30$

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by desmin88
View Post

Well, this is odd...
I just randomly start hearing sound again. It works.

Awesome!

........well........huh.....OK glad it worked , but did you do something you didn't mention in the thread?
maybe YOU can help us

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope.

It basically just started working out of the blue.

Sorry I couldn't provide any info, must be frustrating for others!

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Probably just a Windows error / bug... more news at eleven. Did a restart fix it or did sound just randomly come back?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts