Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new rig up and running buts its randomly unstable. It just hangs for no reason. I thought it was the graphics card because it hangs at the more graphical tasks but i ran visualisations at full screen for a couple mins and that didnt hang it - usually it would. It also tends to hang when im not using the processor above 50% for a long time. Ive jumped the voltage on my overclock - 220 x 10 @1.45. It seems a little more stable - it hasnt crashed as of yet :/

I know i dont have a memory hole - i ran Memtest86+ for a good 5 hours and no errors - i can run superpi, prime95 and fold for as long as i want. Im stumped.

im going to reinstall XP to see if it was the AMD power management crap the mobo installed.

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
latest

it was an XP driver it installed - im never going to run the auto setups on the mobo disks again :rollseyes:

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks - ill do that patch now

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the drivers that are installed for AMD's. It should not be causing your instability (and is most likely not).

If you feel a fresh install is the way to go, then go ahead. I think it's something else though.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bios reflashed - i already had revision 13

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im reinstalling windows onto my laptop so i can back my stuff up - i had kubuntu on and it wouldnt let me be the root user - so im going back to xp with madrake dual boot (off topic)

ill reinstall XP with SP2 and .net. I will only install the SATA\\RAID drivers for my mobo. Does any one have any software that would tell me whats making it unstable (eg: CPU Overclock Unstable, Memory Hole, SATA etc)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my parents have just gotten me a graphics card. Its an ATI RX300 128. Itll see me over until i get my water cooling
(eventually)

I can get this PCI 8mg one out now, lol

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It turns out it was the graphics card. It hasnt hung for some time now - yet *touches wood*. Im oc'ing the x300 now - the core's hit 400+ and i still need to do the memory and the CPU etc.

Thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts