Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sick of Fanboys. Comparing a almost $300 intel CPU to a $150 amd CPU and talking about how it rapes it. OR if you do compare a $300 intel to $300 amd, they compain about the higher clocks and how intel still beats it. I know intel is faster, almost 99% of the people on this site will admit intel is faster, but you know what AMD IS CHEAPER, you can build a $1000 system with bolth intel and amd.

Example

amd:

CPU: Phenom X4 945 $135
MB: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe $169
Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB $93
Total: $397

Intel:

CPU: i7 930 $284
MB: ASUS P6T $219
Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB $164
Total: $667

Difference between AMD/Intel main parts $270

For people on a budget of $1000, on a intel system(with only $333 left to spend) the best remaining items would be a 500GB WD black, a antec 300 with 430w PSU, 5770, dvd, and a 212+. Now a nice system in itself, BUT the AMD person has $603. That could mean a cm 690, a ocz vertex ssd for the OS and the same wd hd, same dvd drive, an H50, a 650w antec truepower, and a 5850. to the person on a budget, who still wants a good, reliable computer that can play every game the intel system can, amd is a better choice.

Now if you take away that budget of $1000 and raise it to $1500 or even $2000, intel would be the better option as you could spend more and still get more, while with amd, you could only go so high.

Point is, Both amd/intel, nvidia/ati are great manufacturers. They produce great chips and great GPU's. No one is better then the other as they each have there nich and are usefull at what they do. Please stop the bashing of one system or the other. Lets try to make Overclock.net a great place with real conversations going on, that help people instead of belittling them.

Sorry if this was long, just seems like so much of this going on in the past couple days i felt i needed to say something, even if it dosnt get listened to.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Well,

Personally I think this is a bit of a fanboi post going to AMD, and I would find it hard to believe that you can get a 5850, H50, SSD AND all the other stuff for $600 (new I mean).

Besides, we all know intel sell all thier defective i7 980x to AMD to make thier 1090t's

Kidding. But seriously, You've clearly been in the wrong posts, i've seen a number of posts where people have recommended the 1055t above the i5, and recommended the i5 over the 1055.

You need to chill out,

C

EDIt - you've also picked one of the most expensive ASUS motherboards

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Well,

Personally I think this is a bit of a fanboi post going to AMD, and I would find it hard to believe that you can get a 5850, H50, SSD AND all the other stuff for $600 (new I mean).

Besides, we all know intel sell all thier defective i7 980x to AMD to make thier 1090t's

Kidding. But seriously, You've clearly been in the wrong posts, i've seen a number of posts where people have recommended the 1055t above the i5, and recommended the i5 over the 1055.

You need to chill out,

C

EDIt - you've also picked one of the most expensive ASUS motherboards, you'd be better off going with a UD3 or the P6X58D-E, I think you've made the intel build more expensive than it needs to be
I went with comparable, same manufactures, MB. i could have went with cheapy gigabyte($99 amd, $140 i7) but it still would have been the same $ amount difference.

you are right, the amd extras were $650ish, but the i7 was $365, so they bolth went over, one by $47 and one by $32.

Sorry if you thought i was choosing amd over intel, i have 5 systems in my house right now, a dual core T9300 laptop, a dual socket xeon server, a single P4 system, a dual core E5200, and the AMD 1090t(that is not even running as my newegg parts are still not here). I am by no means a fanboy, i buy whatever i can afford(3 out of the 5 were craislist purchases, the laptop and the 1090t being the new).

And chill? really? did you really take any part of my post as if i were pissed/mad? upset, maybe but not mad lol. Just tired of seeing my i7 920 OWNS your phenom XXX(insert any cpu). of course it will, you paid $150 more then the phenom. That would be like comparing a original phenom to the 1090t, comparing apples to oranges. It is just annoying when there is hardly ONE post in this whole website where some type of fanboyism is not shown. People talking about Fermi heat issues, or ATI's drivers. If i had over a Grand to spend on a new system, i prob would have went intel. BUT with only a grand, i didnt want to short change my other components and wanted to be able to play all the games i play at a decent FPS. what would it be worth to upgrade from a dual core with a 4850 to a i7 an a 5770? wouldnt you rather get a 955/5850 and be able to get better fps? i know i would still prob loose in a benchmark, but i would rather have better FPS then a higher epeen(atleast now while im poor lol)

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Also,

You realise you really should be matching this up and an i5 setup and NOT an i7 setup.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
TBH, the i5 will pretty much own any AMD processor when it comes to games, the only time an AMD processor will be superior to the i5 is when the x6 does Encoding.

Sorry.

C

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Also,

You realise you really should be matching this up and an i5 setup and NOT an i7 setup.
not really, i7 is newest/main stream while am3 is newest/main stream. in all honesty, that would be comparing a i5 to am2(and we know who would win).

comparing a i5 quad to am3 price/performance ratio(again at stock) is alot closer. even though the cheapest i5 quad is again, $50 more then the 955. so you are still spending more for the same performance area of the am3(and yes, again the 750 does beat the 955). BUT people on here tend to tell people who ask about a am3 setup(ie rate my build type of post) that they should go i7, very rarely to people say i5. what is the benifit of telling someone to go i5 over am3, not much besides personal preference.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Actually I would compare the Phenom X4 9XX's to the C2Quads Q9XXX's as far as performance in games goes. Both can be had for about the same price and are pretty close in performance, anything core i5/7 is going to destroy them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

TBH, the i5 will pretty much own any AMD processor when it comes to games, the only time an AMD processor will be superior to the i5 is when the x6 does Encoding.

Sorry.

C
hmm, u do know, that in most reviews the i5 750 with stock speeds, trades blows in games with the 965 winning some and the 750 winning others, so how is that Owning?

See this is exactly what im talking about, people using one game as owning, when in fact, they perform almost identical and again, for same performance, you pay less with amd.

LINK

funny thing about those benchmarks, look at gta4, a really bad port, really CPU intense, and the 965 beats the 750..

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JumJum View Post
hmm, u do know, that in most reviews the i5 750 with stock speeds, trades blows in games with the 965 winning some and the 750 winning others, so how is that Owning?

See this is exactly what im talking about, people using one game as owning, when in fact, they perform almost identical and again, for same performance, you pay less with amd.

LINK

funny thing about those benchmarks, look at gta4, a really bad port, really CPU intense, and the 965 beats the 750..
At stock speeds, when are you gonna be running stock.

I'm sorry, but you've tried to rant about something that you clearly don't have enough knowledge about, I was gonna say "intel about" but you might have got confused.

C

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I think one problem is that you didn't compare similar systems. If you want to make a true comparison, get parts that are, for all intents and purposes, identical. Otherwise, it's like comparing apples to bananas. If you don't compare similar systems, you could wind up with ANY argument. You could make AMD look like the expensive one and Intel the cheap one or the other way around.

For example, when I built my sig rig, it cost me about $500 for everything but the monitor and OS. I built a PC for my sister that cost about $350. My PC is AMD, hers is Intel. They're both dual cores, they both have similar graphic cards, both have the same ammount of RAM. However, I can't compare my PC to hers fairly as they don't use similar parts.

Sure, both our CPUs may be dual cores, but hers is a few hundred megahertz slower then mine and a far lower end CPU. We may have the same amount of RAM, but hers is also slower then mine. And in the end, we have completely different motherboards with completely different specs (for example, mine is mATX, while hers is mITX).

Long story short is that you're comparing to different PCs, so you'll never get an accurate comparison.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What you gotta do is compare a 100 dollar Amd cpu to a 100 dollar Intel cpu. Same for 150 and 200+ dollar cpus. Amd destroys Intel in the <150 dollar pricerange.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
This, I know AMD is always better in budget and gaming, but the Intel fanboys really can't just back off and accept that they don't know what they are talking about haha.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
c, thats my problem. TO me, personally, it is the intel fanboys that are the real problem. Most AMD people know that there cpu's are not faster then more expensive intel CPU's. the fact that a $150 amd quad trades blows back and forth in games with a i5 that is $200 is, to me, amazing yet they, without any proof what so ever, come in here and say an i5 will OWN a am3...where is the proof? show me some reviews with an i5 with same setup as a am3 blowing it away. The reason for that is there is none. Compare most = priced CPU's and AMD hangs perfectly fine with the competition...that is, if you can find a cpu priced near amd's quad's. Kids on here have no problem distingushing between a $150 5770 and a $300 5850. You dont see people saying look, lets benchmark and see which one wins, BECAUSE you know you are comparing 2 diffrent priced/performance parts. NOW, compare x-fire 5770's for $300 and a $300 5850 and see which one wins now lol. The same thing needs to be though of in CPU's. If you want to compare a $300 CPU, then lets put the 920/930 up against the 1090t, where again, in games and real world they trade blows, yes the i7 will stomp it in benchmarks, but in games they trade blows equally almost.

No one is better then the other. simple, done

1 - 13 of 13 Posts