Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wow...people are so shady on craiglist.

first i sold my lg 2353v 24 inch lcd monitor, i was selling it for 150$, and the guy comes and says he only has 140$.when i told him 100 times to bring 150 because he was argueing he wanted it to 140.

then i sold my gtx 285 on craiglist for 200$, the guy comes we start talking about computers etc. i thought this guy was really cool and down to earth, and he says he only has 180$, but he says he has some ddr3 ocz ram in his car and will let me hold onto them till he brings the 20$ from his house, so i trust this guy cause we talked for a while and he was really cool and all, and what do you know i call and txt for 3 days, and he doesnt even reply, so im really mad now so i check the ram he let me hold on too, and i check the box and it says ddr3 but the ram sticks are 1gb pc2 some wierd crap...
just wow

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweaker123
View Post

jk

me to but yea some guy tryed to buy my sisters car and was offering her a $100 lower and said the gas tank better be full, but they couldn't find the title so he was harassing them saying he already had it sold for a grand and he needed it lol.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
People always want a deal on Craigslist. I've come to expect that most people will only pay at least $10 less than my asking price so I always add wiggle room into the price I ask. If someone happens to just give me the asking price, that's just gravy.

For example, my last several sales:

-- Dell desktop computer. Asked $150, expected $140, got $130.
-- Pair of baby gates worth about $100 new. Asked $50, expected $50, got $40.
-- Punching bag worth $80-100 new. Asked $40, expected $30, got $40
-- Set of china. Asked $300, expected $200, got $300 (was really surprised at this one)

But yeah...everyone wants something for nothing on Craigslist...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Eh, even thought that's happened to me, I've done it to other people. It's CL, so you know you're gonna get less, and you're also gonna offer less.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweaker123 View Post
im just mad that guy tried to trick me with the ram, and i thought he was cool and all =/
Yeah, that's pretty crazy! Some balls on that guy! lol

Lesson learned I guess. Sorry man

·
Registered
212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dogg View Post
People always want a deal on Craigslist. I've come to expect that most people will only pay at least $10 less than my asking price so I always add wiggle room into the price I ask. If someone happens to just give me the asking price, that's just gravy.

For example, my last several sales:

-- Dell desktop computer. Asked $150, expected $140, got $130.
-- Pair of baby gates worth about $100 new. Asked $50, expected $50, got $40.
-- Punching bag worth $80-100 new. Asked $40, expected $30, got $40
-- Set of china. Asked $300, expected $200, got $300 (was really surprised at this one)

But yeah...everyone wants something for nothing on Craigslist...
This guy has his mind on the right path. I too follow his pattern.

Last few sales:
Old Custom Comp: Asked 125, Expected 100, Got 123
2 x 512 PC-3200 Ram: Asked 30, Expected 15, Got 30
Electric Guitar + Amp: Asked 150, Expected 120, Got 90 for Guitar Only

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Oops.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweaker123
View Post

im just mad that guy tried to trick me with the ram, and i thought he was cool and all =/

Yeah, that was seemingly nice of him but sucks that he pulled one over on you.

·
Banned
4,874 Posts
Why don't you just leave? Instead of getting suckered into this crap.

I've had a person do that to me once and I just left. I don't care how long I had to drive, it was the principle of the matter.

Don't lowball me on craigslist >.> I'm a jerk.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay
View Post

Why don't you just leave? Instead of getting suckered into this crap.

I've had a person do that to me once and I just left. I don't care how long I had to drive, it was the principle of the matter.

Don't lowball me on craigslist >.> I'm a jerk.

he was over at my house

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
You have his number, right?

Mature Route

-Call police
-File report
-Give them his phone number
-Let police track him down
-???
-Profit!

Fun Route

-Find funny, interesting picture
-Go on 4chan /b/
-Bait users with picture then have them mass call him
-???
-Profit!

Pretty much a "Choose your own Adventure"

On another note, I haven't had too much luck selling things on CL. In fact, I've only sold one thing on CL. May have something to do with the fact that my university is in a very small, farm town.

But the one selling exp I had was pretty good. Sold my second monitor for him. I put on a display, showed him it worked, packed it up for him and was $180 richer

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
I sold an old HP PC for $250 and i was expecting $200 at max. Posted it up for $275 and got $250 offer. Best way to get your asking price is setting the wanted price a little higher.

PD 820 @2.8GHz
2Gig of 667mhz ram
250GB HD
300 watt psu
i945 mb
HP case with Windows xp SP3

lawl.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Yea Craigslist deals are always a little shady, you should never have trusted that dude, but at least you learned a lesson from this experience.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
That's not the lesson to learn! You can be friendly, just don't be so trusting. It was a scummy thing to do with the ram, but to be fair, you should have opened the package to see what was inside. Don't be naive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts