Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what the heck to do with this dog I have. Had him for nearly 14 years, since I was about 4-5 years of age. And ever since I got incredibly sick, he hasn't been the same. His back legs seem to keep twisting, he walks sideways it seems. He urinates and craps all over the floors. Our house smells incredibly bad, even when we clean it up.

We cannot keep him outside because once he's out, he yelps and cries for hours, keeping us and neighbors up in the middle of the night. He just won't stop crying once he's out, he's gone literally HOURS. Hell, the other week, I got tired of listening to him, brought him in and started using the bathroom in the floor, even though he was outside for about 30 minutes.

Not to mention he is nearly deaf, so it is hard to tell him to go outside and he smells bad as well, his fur has definitely seen better days, I've never seen so much grease in that poor dog's hair.

Meh, I don't know what to do. Putting him down will be awfully hard, but I just don't feel this is the same dog I've been with for all those years. He seems completely out of it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
It sounds like he's suffering miserably. Perhaps putting him down might be the best thing for him. I mean, I know what it means. But perhaps this is your way to say, "I love you so much that I am willing to do this for you even though I don't want to".

·
Nope
2,203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
It sounds like he's suffering miserably. Perhaps putting him down might be the best thing for him. I mean, I know what it means. But perhaps this is your way to say, "I love you so much that I am willing to do this for you even though I don't want to".
+1. I've had to put down 2 dogs. As much as I hated to do it I thought about would they be better off suffering or dying a peaceful death.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
I suppose taking the dog to a vet so they can set a proper diagnose would be too much to ask....

Hey, wake up and smell the coffee. One human year relates to 7 dog years when we talk about aging. Your dog is old and obviously he's suffering from it. Did you expect it to be around forever? Ranting about an old dog.....*sigh*

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You do realise your dog is about 100 years old don't you :|

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimosabi
View Post

I suppose taking the dog to a vet so they can set a proper diagnose would be too much to ask....

Hey, wake up and smell the coffee. One human year relates to 7 dog years when we talk about aging. Your dog is old and obviously he's suffering from it. Did you expect it to be around forever? Ranting about an old dog.....*sigh*

Actually, 1 dog year is equal to about 7 human years. So, this dog is about 95 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLeeZeY
View Post

You do realise your dog is about 100 years old don't you :|

So kimosabi and SLeeZeY, I have a question for both of you: how would you feel if this were your dog and somebody said these things to you? Oh but wait: now imagine that you love your dog as if it were your own brother, sister or as though it were your best friend. Alright, now imagine that the best thing to do for your dog is to take him to a special doctor to have him killed. Yeah. I don't think this is the time or place to be making such comments. They're insensitive, inconsiderate and rude.

I mean, I'm getting the impression that you think he's making a big deal out of nothing, or as though he's making this more difficult than it really is. But have you been in his situation before?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post

It's quite hard letting go something that has been like a brother. I've had him nearly all my life, it won't be easy for me to just jump up and decide I'm going to get my dog put down.

·
Nope
2,203 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikaider View Post
It's quite hard letting go something that has been like a brother. I've had him nearly all my life, it won't be easy for me to just jump up and decide I'm going to get my dog put down.
I know it isn't but as much as they got to the point in...well not the nicest way they are right. The dog suffers at a point and old is why. Putting it down peacefully is more humane than letting him suffer daily struggling

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
My dog Shannon was the same way, so we ended up putting her down over the summer.

From what I've heard, sometimes when dogs get that old, it's almost like they're senile. They can't control what happens on the other side of their body, so they'll drag their legs, walk sideways, and go to the bathroom everywhere, just like you said.

It'll be difficult to do, but the best thing for him would be to euthanize him.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
if you really love the dog, you wouldn't let him suffer the rest of those years. putting him down may not be easy, but it will be peaceful on the dog's end. i've had to do this to 3 cats and 2 dogs i've owned, it's not fun, it's really sad and i hate it, but it had to be done for them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by venom55520
View Post

if you really love the dog, you wouldn't let him suffer the rest of those years. putting him down may not be easy, but it will be peaceful on the dog's end. i've had to do this to 3 cats and 2 dogs i've owned, it's not fun, it's really sad and i hate it, but it had to be done for them.

I know I'm going to have to put him down. I said this at the beginning. I'm just trying to get enough courage to do the job. It'll be the longest drive I'll likely ever experience.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Just try to be there with your dog when it happens so it will have you as it's last sight...when our 18 year dachshund was slowly passing in the middle of the night a couple of years ago, my mom had her on a pillow and we knew she was going within the hours... we cradled her and let her knew we were with her. She was such a sweet puppy. When she finally stopped panting and went to sleep in her little basket in my parents room, she got up, went back to the living room and my parents said they found her in the corner of the living room passed away when they woke up...So sad.

We built her a box and put her blankets and all her toys in it with her, buried her in our back yard and engraved her name/years into a tablet-esque stone.

Just be there for your animal is all I ask as I really love doggies.

·
Banned
1,453 Posts
This is a bit different than "putting down" a dog...but here's my story.

As some of you may have discovered from a previous rant, my family left my father and when we did, we also left our dog Bob. Because we then began renting an apartment after stints in shelters, we couldn't take him in. The bastard then gave him away to a family, who made certain circumstances for him to follow. This freaking family lived on a farm but stated that if they were to go on vacation...the bastard would feed our beautiful dog. However, the idiot doesn't know what happened to our dog because supposedly "the family left" although we believe he died from mistreatment.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikaider
View Post

I don't know what the heck to do with this dog I have. Had him for nearly 14 years, since I was about 4-5 years of age. And ever since I got incredibly sick, he hasn't been the same. His back legs seem to keep twisting, he walks sideways it seems. He urinates and craps all over the floors. Our house smells incredibly bad, even when we clean it up.

We cannot keep him outside because once he's out, he yelps and cries for hours, keeping us and neighbors up in the middle of the night. He just won't stop crying once he's out, he's gone literally HOURS. Hell, the other week, I got tired of listening to him, brought him in and started using the bathroom in the floor, even though he was outside for about 30 minutes.

Not to mention he is nearly deaf, so it is hard to tell him to go outside and he smells bad as well, his fur has definitely seen better days, I've never seen so much grease in that poor dog's hair.

Meh, I don't know what to do. Putting him down will be awfully hard, but I just don't feel this is the same dog I've been with for all those years. He seems completely out of it.

I worked at a Vet's Office for a year (left about a month ago) and have seen this in so many pets. And had the experience myself with the dog I grew up with almost 2 years ago.

It's hard to know what to do. Some people will put the dog to sleep, others will medicate it and try to make life comfortable while it lasts.

My dog personally had succumbed to cancer, and was no longer there in the mind. She couldn't recognize us, didn't want to eat, any of that, so we had a Vet come to our house and had her put to sleep.

Watching other people go through it at work, I was always torn. I still don't know whether I believe euthanasia is acceptable or not. I think it's one of those things that everybody has to decide for themselves.

About your dog though, sorry things are going badly.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Put the dog down. When they ask if you want to stay in the room, stay with the dog till the end.

And bring lots of doggie treats to give him while you wait around in the room beforehand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikaider View Post
I know I'm going to have to put him down. I said this at the beginning. I'm just trying to get enough courage to do the job. It'll be the longest drive I'll likely ever experience.
You will experience longer drives yet in your life.

I think pets are great in that they can ease you into accepting loss as a part of life. Everything and everyone you love is eventually going to die, so celebrate the time you spend instead of emphasizing the fact that they are gone.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
It's really disappointing to see a thread go so off the rails because a couple of members can't leave something alone...

Let's get back to actually giving advice, please?

Any questions by PM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts