Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a thread about how women suck a driving.

My mom is a good driver but I think she's been spoiled a bit but driving auto.

First off she forces the gear into reverse with a oh so lovely grind. Yummy.

Second she shifts way too low and jerkily so I end up getting whiplash and motion sickness.

Almost 3 hrs of this and I said I would drive home...

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
lolol she didn't know the powerband of the engine.

'Tis okay. When my mom drives my truck she rapes the clutch and shifts at 2500RPM when the ideal shift point is only 1900. It's just something about mothers, they never can drive their son's vehicles to their son's wishes.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Except that BlankThis is her daughter...

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
You should see my mom drive

·
Registered
78 Posts
My mom is a good driver, but I think she drives a little on the slow side sometimes. My father likes to drive every car like it was his bimmer. So loads of speed ups and quick brakes, make it stop.

Don't remember the last time one of my folks drove me somewhere though, it's been a few years.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Why was she driving stick?

Driving with my mom when I had my permit was AWFUL. She was absolutely terrified at all times and would constantly try slamming on the brake in the passenger seat. I suppose it's a good thing she refuses to be seen in my car now, I could probably make her poop her pants.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Wrong powerband then.

If it was your GTR I guess those things shift considerably higher than a regular car.

My grandfather shifts his '93 Corona at 2000RPM and its fine.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull View Post
lolol she didn't know the powerband of the engine.

'Tis okay. When my mom drives my truck she rapes the clutch and shifts at 2500RPM when the ideal shift point is only 1900. It's just something about mothers, they never can drive their son's vehicles to their son's wishes.
I don't ride with parents. Period. I'm also lucky that my mother is afraid to sit in my car, much less drive it haha.

I get the opposite with her jeep though. It has the ultra anemic 3.8 liter. You can't get it to move without shifting between 2500 and 3500. She starts screaming at me if I go above 2000.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IBuyJunk
View Post

I don't ride with parents. Period. I'm also lucky that my mother is afraid to sit in my car, much less drive it haha.

I get the opposite with her jeep though. It has the ultra anemic 3.8 liter. You can't get it to move without shifting between 2500 and 3500. She starts screaming at me if I go above 2000.

I know a local private bus owner/operator.

He likes to thrash the engine.

Now, thrashing is one thing, but at the expense of disturbing the peace.

He brings that thing all the way up to 1900RPM and then puts it in second.

I can hear that radiator roar from the 13th storey of tower housing.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
If it was your GTR I guess those things shift considerably higher than a regular car.
Nobody but me and my mechanic drive the GTR.

No she was driving a 02 Golf TDI

·
Registered
953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
I know a local private bus owner/operator.

He likes to thrash the engine.

Now, thrashing is one thing, but at the expense of disturbing the peace.

He brings that thing all the way up to 1900RPM and then puts it in second.

I can hear that radiator roar from the 13th storey of tower housing.
There's a difference between a bus engine that red lines at 2100 and a minivan engine that doesn't make power until 3000.

It's completely safe to keep the minivan engine between 2 and 3500 ... I get better mileage when I shift it higher RPM ... as strange as it sounds.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Funny, my mom is quite the opposite.

She's been driving standard for her entire life up until now and when she first learned to drive it and did her test in a truck with three on the tree.

The only reason she doesn't drive standard now is because she's injured. Though that hasn't stopped her from driving my car.

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendaryC View Post
Funny, my mom is quite the opposite.

She's been driving standard for her entire life up until now and when she first learned to drive it and did her test in a truck with three on the tree.

The only reason she doesn't drive standard now is because she's injured. Though that hasn't stopped her from driving my car.
My mom taught me the basics to driving standard when I was 13, it's just she's out of practice.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Lol, my Mom drives my Dad's 4-speed F-150 pretty well. But with the way I hot rod my Camaro, I'm surprised anyone wants to ride with me lol.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
My moms not bad at my standard (subaru wrx).

She tend to start it with a kinda high RPM at first, but after a try or two she gets it down. First time is maybe 2200 for her, but the think tends to jerk anywhere below 1500 so....

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IBuyJunk View Post
There's a difference between a bus engine that red lines at 2100 and a minivan engine that doesn't make power until 3000.

It's completely safe to keep the minivan engine between 2 and 3500 ... I get better mileage when I shift it higher RPM ... as strange as it sounds.
A minivan is safe because it probably has a smaller engine.

The bus redlines at like 2200 or something.
He brings it all the way up to 1900RPM and its deafening just standing beside the thing.

It has a 305HP Cummins ISMe, and some loud-ass radiator.

And yeah, it's an 11 liter TD.

Cummins engines and generally American diesels have the torque hump somewhere higher at 1600RPM or so as compared to European diesels from Scania, Volvo and Mercedes which make power from 1200RPM and are shiftable at 1400RPM.

But it's not a reason for this guy to redline the thing.

The only big diesels that need to be redlined are Detroit Diesel and the Japanese ones like Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Hino, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts