Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do poeple insist that FPS and Hz Refresh are the same thing?
Whoever started this myth should be shot on sight!

Frame Rates (FPS) are the number of frames generated in an application by the hardware.

Refresh Rate (Hz) is the number of times the display panel refreshes an image.

RRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Cheapest Man On Earth
640 Posts
Some people are mistakenly under the impression that if your FPS is higher than your refresh rate then it doesn't matter. Except it totally does. Especially when you factor in the low end of the FPS and not just max or average. I noticed it over a decade ago using ATI Tool on my old ATI Sapphire 9250. I couldn't really perceive the difference, but I consistently got more kills in UT2K4 with the OC turned on as opposed to stock. Of course now I don't game much and use integrated graphics
biggrin.gif

·
2,434 Posts
And it's usually the same people who think your eyes can't see higher than 60 fps. I even met someone who seriously thought you couldn't tell the difference over 30fps. I gave them a local neurologist's business card.
biggrin.gif

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxpenguinxx View Post

And it's usually the same people who think your eyes can't see higher than 60 fps. I even met someone who seriously thought you couldn't tell the difference over 30fps. I gave them a local neurologist's business card.
biggrin.gif
I have come across a lot of stupid people who think this sort of stuff. I have no time for them at all. By law they should not be able to type or speak anything computer related.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif
The crazy thing is, some people who are used to seeing only 30fps actually can't tell the difference at first. This leads them to think they have confirmed that 30fps is the most you can see.

·
2,434 Posts
I used to play on consoles all the time. I could always see the frames in high speed movement, like there's a slight flicker all the time. Switching to PC and a 85hz monitor at the time I noticed that the flicker was significantly reduced. I guess some people just aren't sensitive to it. A lot of cars have LEDs that flicker like mad. I point it out and others don't see it. How they don't notice that it looks like a windows mouse cursor floating by idk.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

I used to play on consoles all the time. I could always see the frames in high speed movement, like there's a slight flicker all the time. Switching to PC and a 85hz monitor at the time I noticed that the flicker was significantly reduced. I guess some people just aren't sensitive to it. A lot of cars have LEDs that flicker like mad. I point it out and others don't see it. How they don't notice that it looks like a windows mouse cursor floating by idk.
If I play a game @ 144Hz for a while, then turn my head to look at my 60Hz TV, I can see a flicker from the TV for about 10 seconds, every time. Strange......

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

If I play a game @ 144Hz for a while, then turn my head to look at my 60Hz TV, I can see a flicker from the TV for about 10 seconds, every time. Strange......
Same.

I run 110hz on my OC'd Korean. Play a couple hours of games every night before I go to bed. Sometimes I'll be playing a game on Saturday or Sunday and go into the living room and my kid is watching Curious George on our LG 1080p 60hz panel. When I walk in, I can see the ghosting sometimes with the characters movement, and observe flicker. It is ok for watching TV on, but it still somewhat bothers me. I want to move to a 120hz TV soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts