Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, kernel.org has been unreliable for like a week now. The website is live, but the latest kernel isn't accessible through http or ftp. The ftp site has been down completely for 2 days, it's now back online but the kernel files are missing. I know they had all that security trouble, but this is weeks later, and an organisation as big as kernel.org, hosting the Linux kernel, they should have redundancy in place to maintain uptime. After all, Linux is known for it's uptime, and having reliable servers. Even the mirrors are hosed, presumably because the main site has been offline for so long, the sync has taken them down too.

Really frustrating, as BFQ for kernel v3 has been released now, and that was what I was waiting for to make the jump to the latest release. Sort it out guys!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chemicalfan
View Post

Ok, kernel.org has been unreliable for like a week now. The website is live, but the latest kernel isn't accessible through http or ftp. The ftp site has been down completely for 2 days, it's now back online but the kernel files are missing. I know they had all that security trouble, but this is weeks later, and an organisation as big as kernel.org, hosting the Linux kernel, they should have redundancy in place to maintain uptime. After all, Linux is known for it's uptime, and having reliable servers. Even the mirrors are hosed, presumably because the main site has been offline for so long, the sync has taken them down too.

Really frustrating, as BFQ for kernel v3 has been released now, and that was what I was waiting for to make the jump to the latest release. Sort it out guys!!!!

I thought they were either sorting out how much of the kernel got messed with or something new came up? Either way I'd give them some slack.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalfan;15237999
Arch uses the ABS, downloads the source from upstream then patches & builds it.
they don't offer non-patched source? even ubuntu offers non-patched source for their kernels
smile.gif

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,862 Posts
They are only putting infrastructure online as it is cleared of any potential security issues. They have no plans to rush their auditing process.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by transhour
View Post

they don't offer non-patched source? even ubuntu offers non-patched source for their kernels

In a way - you can customise the PKGBUILD to take the patches out (in the same way you can edit a SlackBuild), leaving you with 100% vanilla, downloaded from the upstream source. But patches are good, the kernel I use has the BFS CPU scheduler, and the BFQ IO scheduler, and a couple of other tweaks to optimize for netbooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak89
View Post

https://github.com/mirrors/linux

Linus mirrored kernel sources to github when that security breach happened.

What a legend! I kinda hoped he had our back on that one

Thanks man!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts