Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, my debit card was cut off. I checked my account, and there is a transaction of $134.00. I called the bank, and they are going to deal with the situation. I'm sure they will replace my funds, but I don't know if they are going to follow up on the thief.

Here is what I know, though. I was at Hard Rock at a venue last Friday. I bought a couple of drinks +tip, and immediately closed out my card. I spent $15.00. I live 1.5 hours away from the venue. The $134 debit transaction occurred... wait for it... 3 buildings down from the Hard Rock Cafe. Obviously, this guy/girl has never heard of google earth. Obviously, I can narrow it down to the bartenders from that night and catch this prick. I am just wondering how far I should take it. Of course, I am going to have the manager deal with the situation. Nothing may come of that, though. I am wondering if I should press charges and get the fuzz involved. I could probably get this guy on theft and identity theft.

I don't have all the time in the world to deal with this, but I hate thieves. I work for my money, and I am not making much in this crappy economy. The last thing I need is to have people stealing my debit card info from legitimate businesses where I should NOT have to worry about being robbed.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Let the bank take care of it, but keep records of everything. If it occurs again and it's the same person...then you got yourself a case and might have grounds to sue for damages in a criminal world vs civil.

·
Goddess of Misfortune
3,246 Posts
All I can suggest is once the bank takes care of the situation, get your card number changed immediately if the bank doesn't suggest it first. I have had this happen to me and my bank dealt with it swiftly and I even had my card number changed.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magix View Post
What you know and what you can prove are two different things....remember that.
good quote from Law Abiding Citizen

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my banks has unofficially dealt with my card, and the funds are back in my account. I don't think I am going to get law enforcement involved, but I am going to get the manager on the phone and attempt to have this guy called out. Hopefully, that will be enough for them do do something about it.

My bank confirmed that the information on my card was actually put onto a new card, and then used. So this guy is definitely a repeat offender with the hardware to create fake credit/debit cards. I can't imagine this is the first time this has happened at this establishment, with that being the case. Fingers crossed that the gears will start turning after I make a call, soon.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
At this point, it's not up to you since you technically didn't lose any money. The bank refunded your money so THEY lost the money. It's up to them to prosecute.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I agree. I am not going to press any charges. I would like to inform the establishment of what their employee(s) are doing. I can give them enough info to narrow it down to a couple of suspects. What they do from there is out of my hands. If this person is a repeat offender (like I suspect), this might provide the evidence to fire them.

On another note... Who steals credit card info, makes a fake card, and then uses it less than a block away from where it was stolen? At least criminals prove time and time again to be stupid...

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

At this point, it's not up to you since you technically didn't lose any money. The bank refunded your money so THEY lost the money. It's up to them to prosecute.

You are wrong. He is the aggrieved party, whether or not the bank ended up refunding his money.

Yes, you should totally pursue this. Make a police report, give them the info you have, the people who do this stuff aren't usually that smart. There should be a time stamp on the receipt, which means if the store he went to has cameras they can go and verify who used the card. Then they can see if anyone working at that bar matches the person on the tape.

This should be a slam dunk case and you owe it to society to go after the guy. You'll also feel vindicated when he gets taken down, it can be a powerful feeling.

One other thing, you can't be sure it was someone at the bar.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me only it was closer to $500 taken out of my account which put it in the red. Thankfully it wasn't my primary account so I was still able to pay for necessities and bills.

The bank told me that the thief went to Best Buy and bougt an Xbox 360, some games and other things with a "card present swipe". Then they went to Nordstrom and tried buying a bunch of clothes again with a card swipe. Their purchase at Best Buy had wiped out my account so the Nordstrom purchase was declined, thankfully.

My bank had me file a police report which was annoying but understandable. The freaky part was that someone was able to make a card with my number on it and use it. And it's a good thing I keep close tabs on all of my bank and charge accounts to catch fraudulent activity sooner rather than later.

Best bet is to file a police report and let them handle it. You're probably not the first person who has had their card number stolen at that bar. At least you've gotten your money back so it's no damage to you. And the bank likely is just going to write off that $130 since that's chump change to them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts