Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have people around you who love to do that?

When common English just doesn't suffice in daily speech, and they have to annoy you with the very big words in speech.

It's understandable when it comes to writing essays or a resume - I use professional English when it comes to important written documents.

But daily speech is just so annoying.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
OMG, intelligent people speaking intelligently. SHAME ON THOSE PEOPLE!
This...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I work proofreading / copyediting etc for a pharmaceutical company. The amount of jargon is ridiculous!

I'm a big fan of plain English, be it for a fancy presentation, resume, or a simple email.

Why make things harder than they have to be? No reason other than snobbery, IMO!

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Yes... we should be more like 1984 where we start removing words from the dictionary until only one word describes everything.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah here's a prime example. ^

People must express themselves in a sentence that contains a bazillion words, while just a few will suffice.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Ah here's a prime example. ^

People must express themselves in a sentence that contains a bazillion words, while just a few will suffice.

I used 6 words. You used 18. Judge not lest ye be judged.

The reason for having a proper vocabulary and knowing how and when to use it is to be more fully human. Sure you could just grunt and point. Knowing the meaning of words will release you from the fear of them. "Big Words" are not scarey, and should not impress anyone, unless they are ignorant of their meaning.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quote:

Yes... we should be more like 1984 where we start removing words from the dictionary until only one word describes everything.
Doubleplusgood.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

The reason for having a proper vocabulary and knowing how and when to use it is to be more fully human. Sure you could just grunt and point. Knowing the meaning of words will release you from the fear of them. "Big Words" are not scarey, and should not impress anyone, unless they are ignorant of their meaning.

Exactly, I don't speak like a snob by any means, but the big words that I may use (sparingly) are used because I like the word, not to impress anybody.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

OMG, intelligent people speaking intelligently. SHAME ON THOSE PEOPLE!

It's not those people OP's ranting about. It's idiots using those words to sound smarter than they are.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

It's not those people OP's ranting about. It's idiots using those words to sound smarter than they are.

He didn't say that at all in his first post.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post

I know.
This is the exact manner of how some idiots like to speak, when simple words just suffice.
They will do anything just to give off the impression that they just graduated from Oxford with a major in English. That, or they're freakin' lawyers.

Quote:

I am referring to those exact people. Look at my thread title.
Fabricating intelligence.
A real intelligent person has no need to fabricate any more intelligence.
On the other hand, these idiots love to use as many big words as they can to sound really magnificent.
In day-to-day casual communication, it gets annoying quickly.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Quote:

I guess you can't read the subject line.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
I am referring to those exact people. Look at my thread title.
Fabricating intelligence.
A real intelligent person has no need to fabricate any more intelligence.
On the other hand, these idiots love to use as many big words as they can to sound really magnificent.
In day-to-day casual communication, it gets annoying quickly.
How is that "fabricating intelligence"? As long as they use them correctly.

I would like to hear your definition of "big words".

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Quote:

How is that "fabricating intelligence"? As long as they use them correctly.

I would like to hear your definition of "big words".
If you don't get what the OP is saying then you just don't get it lol.

I understand him completely. There are plenty of times where someone is talking to a normal group of a people in a completely normal situation yet they feel the need to use uncommon or big words in the hopes that it makes them come across smarter then they actually are.

If you don't feel people ever do that then you obviously completely disagree with the OP and have no reason to even ask questions about it and try to bait him into an argument with you.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts