Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was putting together a core i7 build for a friend, the pin system scares the hell our of me. i was sweating profusely and my heart rate went up, just from closing the cpu latch. why couldn't it be more like the amd one, that one's fool proof, so to speak.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
What? Intel uses land grids that can't be damaged. AMD uses actual pins that can get bent and ruin the processor if you screw it up.

If anything its the exact opposite of what you said.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

What? Intel uses land grids that can't be damaged. AMD uses actual pins that can get bent and ruin the processor if you screw it up.

Not 100% true...

My E8500's contact pads (2 of 'em, anyway) somehow became... damaged for no apparent reason. (Wasn't even removed from the board.)

Though I do agree that the Intel LGA system is better than the AMD pin system.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by CryWin View Post
Removing a BGA CPU and GPU with a butter knife scares me more than LGA775...
i would end up not doing it at all, scares me too much, i don't wanna break anything lol. and my hand are pretty big, so i'm scared to touch anything i don't need to.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hardware parts can take more beatings then ya'll give them credit. I've dropped CPUs and hard drives on a hard floor before and they end up working.

·
Banned
1,991 Posts
I agree, when i was installing my i7 it took a lot of pressure and was like AHHHHHHHHHHH don't break please!!!! b/c that coulda been $550+ worth a damage.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
One day at work, I was lead to a 1.5 ton bin full of PC innards and was handed a sledgehammer and a crowbar. I was told to "destroy" every part in the bin and put it in a new bin. I was tired of office work so I happily went all Gordan Freeman on the boards with a giant crowbar. Let me tell you, breaking boards is harder then you think (But SO much fun).

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
One day at work, I was lead to a 1.5 ton bin full of PC innards and was handed a sledgehammer and a crowbar. I was told to "destroy" every part in the bin and put it in a new bin. I was tired of office work so I happily went all Gordan Freeman on the boards with a giant crowbar. Let me tell you, breaking boards is harder then you think (But SO much fun).
Yep.

PCB is very, very strong, since they usually have a layer of copper through them.

I've sawed through a dead mobo before... it wasn't easy.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris View Post

lolwut? Land Grid Array sockets undamagable? Also, you can fix an AMD chip if the pin breaks off. Trust me on that one, I'm using such a repaired part. Been using one for a LONG time now. It's a simple as stripping a bread tie of the plastic coating, cutting to length, placing it in the correct hole in the socket and installing the CPU. Works a treat.

A more permanent repair would be to resolder said pin. Difficult, I'll admit, but possible.

Good luck fixing a broken off pin on an LGA socket, though.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Though I do agree that the Intel LGA system is better than the AMD pin system.

As I just mentioned, you can repair an AMD chip when a pin is damaged. But you can't fix a LGA socket, and you can't RMA it either as it's not a defect. There's no real performance difference between LGA and PGA sockets, either.

PGA > LGA. You don't have to buy new stuff if you snap off a pin on a PGA, but if you do screw up a pin on a PGA, you better hope to dear god it doesn't snap off while you're straightening it or else your'e pretty screwed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts