Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raptor's have been dropping in price recently and I couldn't resist finding out how 2 are gonna do in RAID 0. Gonna be using it on the plain old onboard NVraid since I have no more room for a PCI card. 2nd one's in the mail and im wondering...

1)What stripe size should I use for overall performance gain. Don't do much video editing or dvd ripping anymore. I suppose best gains in game loading time and performance would be best.

2)Can I back up my hard drive now to my seagate and put it back on the RAID array after it is set up? And if so, how?

Any input appreciated,
Thanks guys

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
1) I'd use your full hard drive to make a 300gig hard drive, My read/write speeds went from 48mb/s to high 90's! basically a 100% improvement.

First, activate the raid controller on your mobo, installing the drivers. Then what you want to back up your hard drive is to first wipe your 250 gig hard drive, then pick up a copy of norton ghost, all you need is the floppy disk really. Then you can do a perfect drive to drive clone. Suddenly your 250gig works just like your raptor. Then you set up the RAID0 for your raptors, causing you too wipe the origional raptor. Then just run ghost again and copy back to the new raid array.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
That's what the norton ghost is for *sigh*

It just clones your current setup perfectly.

Then you make the array, and copy everything back with ghost and presto you have your old computer back, but with the RAID enabled

As in, you wont notice a thing is different, except your main C drive will be 300Gb instead of 150Gb

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha thanks....was wondering tho if I was gonna have to run the windows install on the raid array to get the drivers set up and what not on it before I could just ghost the data back from the 250.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Really!? Can I do this if I bought 2 new 250GB drives and wanted to put them in raid0 with Windows XP working from my current 160GB Maxtor?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Mmhmm. You just get the dual 250's and set them up as slaves first but raided. You have to have the raid array drivers installed on that maxtor otherwise when you copy back windows wont have a clue what to do with the raided hard drives.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
You install the raid drivers onto your existing raptor. Then you'll ghost the 150 to your 250 and install the second raptor, raiding the two 150's together. Ghost back from the 250 to the 150 and presto.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more thing....i'm looking at the nForce drivers and it says the Sata raid drivers are included in there, so if i installed the whole package, I should be good to go already right?

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Ugh, this is taking WAY to much explination.

1.You install the raid drivers on the existing primary hard drive
2.You Ghost your primary hdd to your secondary hdd
3.You RAID your primary drive and new 3rd drive
4.You ghost all your data back from the secondary drive to your new raid array.
5.You buy me a 12 pack of Stella.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge420
One more thing....i'm looking at the nForce drivers and it says the Sata raid drivers are included in there, so if i installed the whole package, I should be good to go already right?

NvRAID will be in your bios.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mean when you first set up the raid you have the option to use, 4k, 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k stripe size for the size the data striping on each disk. Not sure what to use as I read different results from many people.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge420
I mean when you first set up the raid you have the option to use, 4k, 16k, 32k, 64k, 128k stripe size for the size the data striping on each disk. Not sure what to use as I read different results from many people.
oh oh, um, one min I'll restart and see what mine is running at.

THis is only the nForce 570 so not sure if it has all the same options.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts