Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, anyone want to talk me out of buying another Raptor for striping? I'm bored and the local shop has 1 in stock. If anyone feels passionate about the lack of performance gain, here's your chance to voice it and talk me out of buying another one. I haven't used Raid 0 on this particular box and it would be my first Sata Raid. I've used IDE Raid for years,though. You have 1/2 hour to state your case =P Anyone vote no? Btw, I'm reformatting today anyways and is the reason for me deciding to just pull the trigger and blow a C-note.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion14_99
if you already have 1... my vote is go for it, since i did the same thing
good luck!
Bah, my wallet hates you =P

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I say GO FOR IT......all you can do is get faster.

• Rep+
Reactions: sccr64472

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
The best performance would be two, you won't regret it.

Off topic those three 633 I got from you work great, I have them overclocked to 1.1ghz and folding.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrabb1920
The best performance would be two, you won't regret it.

Off topic those three 633 I got from you work great, I have them overclocked to 1.1ghz and folding.
Wow, good to hear you like 'em! I'm guessing that they were used for a grand total of 2 weeks before I swapped 'em out for Athlon 1700s, so I wouldn't be shocked if they improve slightly after a slight break in. I still can't believe how long it took for them to ship to Arizona, though.
Btw, you got those overclocks on the motherboards I sent or a different motherboard?

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
Wow, good to hear you like 'em! I'm guessing that they were used for a grand total of 2 weeks before I swapped 'em out for Athlon 1700s, so I wouldn't be shocked if they improve slightly after a slight break in. I still can't believe how long it took for them to ship to Arizona, though.

Yea the postperson didn't believe me in tell I showed her the postal date. But thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
You will love the increase in speed when loading things....I went from 59MB/s to 104MB/s in read times going from 1 drive to 2 in raid 0.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa
You will love the increase in speed when loading things....I went from 59MB/s to 104MB/s in read times going from 1 drive to 2 in raid 0.

I know it'll show in benchmarks, but did you honestly notice a difference in apps? If I didn't need to reformat, I'd pass on it, but I need to reformat today anyways. I've been playing a Beta that had a memory leak, so the massive crashing took out my install of Age Of Empires, so I decided to just reinstall everything instead of just that game. Seems odd that it took out a different game, but the Beta game is fine lol

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

I know it'll show in benchmarks, but did you honestly notice a difference in apps? If I didn't need to reformat, I'd pass on it, but I need to reformat today anyways. I've been playing a Beta that had a memory leak, so the massive crashing took out my install of Age Of Empires, so I decided to just reinstall everything instead of just that game. Seems odd that it took out a different game, but the Beta game is fine lol
Sure you do...loading games and such is a lot faster.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa
Sure you do...loading games and such is a lot faster.
Thanks for input guys and Reps were given. I'm off to the store

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Quote:

i honestly notice it. it does make a big difference. when copying files and reading big ones, the time drops off noticeably. also, when loading games, it is a godsend. a LOT of times, me and my roomate and a buddy will load up bf2 and have a mini lan party, and i load the map, when ask, "ok what team are you guys on?" then the look at me, back at their screen, and its less than half done loading the map. or when i ask, they'll just look at me and say, "shut up" lol so yeah, it does make a difference loading games.

also, when loading windows the time drops off too. with just the raptors loading windows, the little bar might go across once or twice, usually not three times. when i first loaded windows after a format, it loaded so fast the bar went across once. i was happy, to say the least.. and told my friends to watch. i rebooted, and it only went across the screen 1/4 of the length of the bar, and it was loading windows. this is at stock speed by the way (1.8ghz amd) so yeah, you'll notice

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I'm about to configure my striping array and want to double check my settings to make sure they're optimal. The last information I've seen states that having a 4:1 stripe to cluster ratio is optimal. I'm going to use 16k stripe with 4k cluster for 2 raptors. Anyone have any info suggesting a different setting? Thanks in advance for input.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last call before I create my array...speak up or forever hold your peace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts