Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running an amd fx 6350 3.9ghz stock.
air cooling (noctua dh14)
All I did was increase clock speed and multiplier no Northridge or memory becuase what ive heard says its not worth it for either.

Im currently running at a rock solid 4.73 ghz (205.96x23) im trying to back off the voltage some though becu as its running hotter then what I want it to 55c full load.

Can I take it higher? Have I hit my Max ? The only thing im really concerned with is the temp load. Also im not sure thw my noctua is running optimally becuase of the high temps im getting.
1.47 volts if im not mistaken

If I can get more power out of my noctua fans. (Becuase like i said there not running hard at all)Or better thermal paste or whatever, id like to see of I can push 5.0ghz

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Very good voltage for said speed, keep it under 62*C for PRIME95 and your sorted, keep pushing, should hit atleast 4.9 and stay safe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know how to control my fan speed, or monitor it? I tried speed fan and I guess my motherboard just doesnt report that info becuase none of them worked. And I have only had my noctua since christmas but from my experience with fans its running way to quietly to be maxed. Unless its a bad idea I wouldn't mind taking it to 125% max speed. Its got two huge fans on it, and one of them doesnt even kick on untill it hits 50c.

What do you guys think,? If I can get the fans under control. I would like to push 5ghz

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonatron5 View Post

Anyone know how to control my fan speed, or monitor it? I tried speed fan and I guess my motherboard just doesnt report that info becuase none of them worked. And I have only had my noctua since christmas but from my experience with fans its running way to quietly to be maxed. Unless its a bad idea I wouldn't mind taking it to 125% max speed. Its got two huge fans on it, and one of them doesnt even kick on untill it hits 50c.

What do you guys think,? If I can get the fans under control. I would like to push 5ghz
In the bios you can disable the fan controls which will cause all the fans attached to the mobo headers to run at maximum speed. I have a NH-D14. The fans run quiet even at max speed. Most motherboards come with their own applications on the driver cd to tune fan speeds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

In the bios you can disable the fan controls which will cause all the fans attached to the mobo headers to run at maximum speed. I have a NH-D14. The fans run quiet even at max speed. Most motherboards
come with their own applications on the driver cd to tune fan speeds.
Hey thanks a ton. Just gotta find where the thingis located in the bios. I dont want them maxed out all the Time e so ill check my motherboard driver disk like you said. See if there's anything on there for it.

For an ex tremly large radiator and fan the noctua runs deceptively quietly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well heres another question, is it safe to run the fans at 100% when im gaming? Like 12 hours a day ? Or will this greatly reduce there service life?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I did some other reasearch and most people are saying for 24/7 the absolute max voltage you should run is 1.5 im honestly feeling pretty good at 4.7ghz. But im going to have to push the voltage even higher to get to the 5. And im already at 1.475 wich is very high as it is

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello!

For daily use, keep it like this, 5GHz isn't ideal with air cooling, and it's not the best thing to do 5GHz 24/7 although you can go to 5Gigs just for giggles.

Conclusion: 4.7G is a nice ovcl don't set your chip on fire with 24/7 5Gigs

But thats my opinion

Regards

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
No no no, for the 63xx, it is very much safe to run 1.5v 24/7

I used to run 1.487v 24/7, I have even benched at 1.65 and CPU Z'ed at 1.87, and the CPU is not showing any degrading what so ever after 2 years, go for it, your safe.

Set voltage to 1.5 after vdroop, and up the Freq untill you lose stability

EDIT: http://valid.canardpc.com/2727694

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gotta take into account if you have a golden chip, looks like you won the lottery Pedro, and also take into account the H100i which Pedro has is not the same as a NH-14, although it is very good, it's still air cooling.

But after all, it's your own choice, go for it if you want.

Regards
thumb.gif

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Far from GOLDEN< I need 1.48v for 4.5GHz.
These chips are rock solid, their extremely hard to kill, no matter scratch aha

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
You may have a 5+/-GHz chip there buddy.....

Honestly, 55c isn't high at all for vishera. I would say 65c is the very max you would want during stability testing, since that will yield a max of around 60c during normal max load.
1.5v may get you a little further IF the chip continues to scale in clock/power usage the way has so far.....

I have seen some chips that will clock up with more voltage until they hit their thermal wall (even some scaling past 1.6v+), but usually you will see chips that just hit a wall around 4.6-4.8. Some of those will do it on 1.4v, some of them on 1.55v, but they all seem to hit a wall that is more limited by their clock speed capability than by their power requirements or thermal boundaries when they get there.

I don't use a piledriver chip (have read much about them, and tinkered with a few), but do have a bulldozer(FX6200) on my work system that won't get past 4.6 without an onslaught of tinkering..... it wants 1.45v for that, but hits 66c
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith1984 View Post

You may have a 5+/-GHz chip there buddy.....

Honestly, 55c isn't high at all for vishera. I would say 65c is the very max you would want during stability testing, since that will yield a max of around 60c during normal max load.
1.5v may get you a little further IF the chip continues to scale in clock/power usage the way has so far.....

I have seen some chips that will clock up with more voltage until they hit their thermal wall (even some scaling past 1.6v+), but usually you will see chips that just hit a wall around 4.6-4.8. Some of those will do it on 1.4v, some of them on 1.55v, but they all seem to hit a wall that is more limited by their clock speed capability than by their power requirements or thermal boundaries when they get there.

I don't use a piledriver chip (have read much about them, and tinkered with a few), but do have a bulldozer(FX6200) on my work system that won't get past 4.6 without an onslaught of tinkering..... it wants 1.45v for that, but hits 66c
rolleyes.gif
I like this guy. I know you guys are saying its fine to push it but I am extremely hesitant to give it any kore juice. I mean 55 c is pretty hot for a constant load during gaming. I have seen a significant increase in frames per second since this overclock. Like a good6-10 fps (yes thats a lot considering this is free)
I whent into bios ant turns my fans to manual and to1.25 and tested again but I didn't see any temp difference so either I screws up my fan settings somehow or ive reached my maximum thermal movement

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post

Isnt 1.47v dangeriously high or is that only for intel and ivy-E chips?
No, not at all. AMD sells the 9370 and 9590, which are identical silicon to a 6350, running at 1.5v stock voltage. Remember that these are 32nm chips, not 22nm like current Intel stuff, and that makes them more tolerant to voltage, as well as requiring more.

As long as you keep the temps down below about 65C, you can safely go to 1.55. The chip might eventually degrade, but on a time scale that would make the degradation occur long after it's quit being a useful part.

One thing about AMD CPU's that has always been true is that they take this kind of abuse better than Intel chips do, even back in the times when AMD was the performance leader. It used to be Intel people barbecuing their P4's from massive overclocking to hang with the Athlon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts