Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a XFX GeForce 8600GT Graphics card that i bought from a good friend of mine "twitch101". Now im awaiting my case so that i may build my Very first pc (finally). i just need a perspective on how good my card is. Just other opinions if you dont mind.

Is it good, great, amazing, what? for gaming that is. If not, what would you say its best for?

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
8600GT is one of the lower ends cards now. Still good for some games though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm ok then, what is a sugested card i should get if i were to want "Above average" for graphics cards.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. That card will do videos and general computer use just fine. Its a bit weak for gaming, but really depends on what games and how high you want to turn them up.

The best low-mid range card imho is the 4830 as its cheap ($80) and fast and oc's really well (will easly go faster than a stock 4850). X-fire two of them and you've got a killer setup on the cheap.

The next big step up is a 4870. Also a great card, but quite a lot more expensive.

After that there's the 4870X2s then you move in to the Nvidia 285 and 295 range. Super fast, but very power hungry and lots of $$$.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1280x800 at least is all i want to know. I will upgrade one day. but as I mentioned, it's my first build.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
If your using a 15 to 17' inch monitor with 1024x768 res it should be more than enough.19 to 22 inches it should be ok with low to meduim settings above 22 inches.I wounldnt use a bigger monitor than 22 inches with it fro gaming

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon Tortise
View Post

1280x800 at least is all i want to know. I will upgrade one day. but as I mentioned, it's my first build.

it will be fine

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now my motherboard supports 2 pci-E 2.0x16 slots. If i wanted to upgrade, am I able to add another card along with my 8600? if so what would be the best card to add that will get me do above decent?

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
an 8600GT will play games like CoD4 and WaW just fine at that res. my old roomate had one and he had no issues with most games.

Quote:

View Post

now my motherboard supports 2 pci-E 2.0x16 slots. If i wanted to upgrade, am I able to add another card along with my 8600? if so what would be the best card to add that will get me do above decent?

well, you could SLI the 8600GT with another one. granted you have an SLI capable motherboard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Hi, I'm having the Asus version of this card. All i can say it served me well in the past 1,5 years
Plays most games ok. Even GTA 4, but on lower settings 1024
I'm not gonna lie to you. There are better and cheaper cards out there (myself upgrading to a 4870 in a few days). But what can I say... I really like this card. It's lower end, but is doing ok.

Good luck with
(capable of nice oc btw)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothow
View Post

If your using a 15 to 17' inch monitor with 1024x768 res it should be more than enough.19 to 22 inches it should be ok with low to meduim settings above 22 inches.I wounldnt use a bigger monitor than 22 inches with it fro gaming

it will be fine

good i have a 19' monitor i got for 40 bucks lol. With that info im not too worried.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I woulden't bother doing SLI with two 8600 GT's

they are very outdated cards compared to whats currently out on the market. Your money would go further buying a brand new card if you were to upgrade,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no no symek, i ment adding a new better card to my 8600, if thats possible, then which OTHER type of card would be good?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
you can only run ''matching'' cards in SLI, so your question is moot.....

if you have 2x pci'e slots you could buy a GTX260 & use the 8600 as a PPU..??

or sell the 8600 & grab a pair of 2nd hand 8800GTs (they are cheap as chips) & run these in SLI..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wait...i may sound stupid now...you cant combine 2 different cards can you? lol if not then sorry, im new to this =P.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
I had an 8600GT for about 9 months, and kept it until I wanted to play games other than WoW, where I noticed how much it fell short.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon Tortise View Post
wait...i may sound stupid now...you cant combine 2 different cards can you? lol if not then sorry, im new to this =P.
no sli with diff cards, but you can use one card for physics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts