Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Case:
Antec Twelve Hundred

Power Supply:
Antec TPQ-850

Motherboard:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 X 2GB ) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory [THE RED ONES]

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Fan/Heatsink:
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

Mouse:
Razer Mamba

Keyboard:
Razer Tarantula

Video Card:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 285 AMP! Edition

Monitor:
Acer P243WAid Black-Silver24" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP Support

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1 TB 3.5" SATA 3.00Gb/s Hard Drive

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

Optical Drive:
LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS122-04

Sound Card:
Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card

Speakers:
Logitech Z-5500
Edit: Sorry if it looks messy. I was following the way a reference book I got had followed building a computer.

Well this is my first build, which has yet to be bought yet.
And while I am initially just looking for a rating, some advice, upgrade, and some criticism would be nice.

I have no official final price yet, still hunting for lower prices.
My patrons have not given be any official budgets, though due to the state of the economy, they would like me to keep the final between $999 - $3000.

Updated...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,985 Posts
get a core i7 920!
940 and 965 are both stupid buys.
Take the savings and get a GTX260 core 216 or GTX 285
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
get a core i7 920!
940 and 965 are both stupid buys.
Take the savings and get a GTX260 core 216 or GTX 285
Just about to say that. 920 will steamroll everything you need to spend money in the video card area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,109 Posts
You could do better with the heatsink and the video card is a bit underkill for such an amazing system. To be honest, I would expect a build like that to have a GTX 285 or 4850x2 at least.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608007

As for mobo's, I've heard a lot of good things about the P6T which is why I would choose it if I were between those two mobos. It might be better to buy the cheaper CPU and OC it if you can. You'll save a lot of money that way. You can invest in a better GPU with the money you save.

As for the power supply, Antec makes good PSU's but I would get something a bit stronger. If you ever want to upgrade in the future, a good 850W PSU would be worth it. Something like this would be great.

Overall, killer build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm..... I've done an initial price check after inputting some changes(CPU, Mobo, Speakers, Monitor, Video Card) and the total came to a finale of about $2600+.

A price my patrons are unhappy of.
I guess I'll have to try to make it work.
Somehow.

They've dropped their maximum to $2000, those cheap bastards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
i7 920 will make the build a lot more affordable...the 940 and 965 are just dumb buys. is 300mhz worth $300 more? is 600mhz worth $700 more?

i7 920's are easily overclockable to 3.8 - 4.0ghz and those speeds can handle pretty much anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
defiantly go w/ the 920 much cheaper and oc's really well from what i have heard... and yes get a better GFX card ... in that system that would be ur bottleneck which almost never happens...i would say for the money you save from the CPU lower to the 920 i would get a GTX 285 personally excellent performance and uses less power than the old GTX 280...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,985 Posts
u could so do a i7 920+gtx285 rig for more than $1000 less.
Get something cheaper than teh antec 1200. look at the antec 300 (amazon.com has it shipped for $60)
get the nactura hsf instead
get a cheaper mobo. there is a i7 920+msi x58 for like $454 right now.
Get the hitatchi 1tb hdd its like $88
dont get the sound card
BOOM-saved you a lot of $
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacegoast View Post
Ya i7 920 will save a bunch and get a GTX280/285 and some Logitech Z-5500 speakers. Also go with a 24 inch monitor
Totally valid points.
Personally, I'd recommend a Western Digital hard drive. Consider a solid-state hard drive for just your operating system and games. Put all your media and stuff on two WD6401AALS in raid 0.
Maybe get a Corsair 850w (1000w is oos at Newegg).
Maybe an LG burner? I've had lite-ons that continuously gave bad burns at max speed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
u could so do a i7 920+gtx285 rig for more than $1000 less.
Get something cheaper than teh antec 1200. look at the antec 300 (amazon.com has it shipped for $60)
get the nactura hsf instead
get a cheaper mobo. there is a i7 920+msi x58 for like $454 right now.
Get the hitatchi 1tb hdd its like $88
dont get the sound card
BOOM-saved you a lot of $
Well with the Z-5500's, its really hard to say no to the sound card.
An Antec 300 is just too small. Maybe a Cooler Master 690?
I don't know anything about the Monsoon but a little research never hut anyone right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Well ofcourse I knew a thread like this would garner a lot of attention and perhaps some lively debate... your rigs not a bad looking build at all, and you will of course hear a lot of truth here and some embelishments. Here is the bottom line though, while your build is good, web pages only load so fast, games at above a certain frame rate all look the same if you go the high end way, lets face it a pair of GX2's with a quad AMD will work as good if not better than a i7 920 and gtx 2 anything, so again its gets down to this... what do you really do with your PC day in and day out? do you really ever NEED what you have spec'ed out here and if so for how long and how OFTEN?

Build out a good AM3 or Deneb rig, put some money into some good video cards and take the rest to buy beer or a blonde or something you really will run that fast everytime you use it....

I think you get the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by christalnet View Post
Well ofcourse I knew a thread like this would garner a lot of attention and perhaps some lively debate... your rigs not a bad looking build at all, and you will of course hear a lot of truth here and some embelishments. Here is the bottom line though, while your build is good, web pages only load so fast, games at above a certain frame rate all look the same if you go the high end way, lets face it a pair of GX2's with a quad AMD will work as good if not better than a i7 920 and gtx 2 anything, so again its gets down to this... what do you really do with your PC day in and day out? do you really ever NEED what you have spec'ed out here and if so for how long and how OFTEN?

Build out a good AM3 or Deneb rig, put some money into some good video cards and take the rest to buy beer or a blonde or something you really will run that fast everytime you use it....

I think you get the picture.
Well spoken!
Maybe a beer AND a blonde?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the many pieces of advice!!!

However, it turns out this build has been put on hold by my patrons, because they do not think that I, a person with no prior knowledge of how to build a computer or overclocking, should not be doing such a big project for a first build. And I found out that they are financially in trouble.

I'm going to try something under $1000 for college use then.

Thank you, and sayonara for today!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jattditutti
View Post

Maybe get a job to pay for yourself then.

Do you spell parents like that on purpose?

No time for a job, still busy with work.

And parents and patrons are two different words, words that they are.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top