Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came into this not knowing a single thing about overclocking cpus and I still don't know enough but I took my time going through multiple guides and reviewing many benchmarks to get a general impression and while it's not perfect I am happy with the outcome and stability so far.

Based on multiple sources and sometimes my own research I tweaked the following in my bios prior to OCing:
Enabled C-state @ C7
Set base clock apply mode to "Next Boot"
Manually adjusted Ring ratio to stock (3400/3500Mhz)
Set Ring/uncore voltage to 1.200v manually as to avoid dangerous fluctuations
Set Ratio mode and Voltage mode to Fixed and Override respectively
Manually set DRAM freq. to 1600Mhz
Disabled XMP
Disabled "Internal VR efficiency managment"
Disabled fast boot + Intel smart

Perhaps I am impatient but I saw fit to start right at 4.2Ghz core. I set core voltage to 1.050v, quite low but not impossible. I monitored using CPUz, RealTemp and HWinfo and stress tested using OCCT Large for 30 minutes each time. If unsuccessful I upped the voltage 0.025 and tried again. When it passed I upped the voltage by 0.025 again and Core by 100Mhz. Once around 4400Mhz and voltage needed to be around 1.300v I set VCCIN to be 0.600v above core voltage now and thereafter. After core voltage hit 1.300v+ and heat generated by the synthetic OCCT test was becoming hard for my EVO212 to handle I switched to x264 Benchmark. I reached a tipping point at 4500Mhz as 4600Mhz failed x264 no matter how much voltage I added, up till temps started hitting 95C. So I downed core to 4400Mhz and voltage from 1.450v to 1.375v and ran x264 twice.

At this point I upped DRAM freq. to 1866Mhz and enabled XMP again and tested for stability. Then I attempted a 1:1 cache ratio using the same steps and found stability with 4400Mhz @ 1.225v but more voltage could not get 4500Mhz uncore (a 1:1 ratio) stable.

So to recap I am now running a fixed 4.5Ghz Core @ 1.375v and 4.4Ghz unCore @ 1.225v. DRAM freq. @ 1866Mhz, VCCIN @ 2.000v. With that I ran an x264 2nd pass loop for 5 hours and it was stable with temperatures reaching 80-85C. Normal heavy usage (for me that's gaming) gets temps up to 75C maximum and at no/minor loads temps remain at 25-35C. I've been using it for the past 24 hours and so far it is stable.

So as a first-time OC what do you think of the results? And is it safe to keep it this way all the time or should I save it as a profile and only OC when I need to. Thank you for your time
smile.gif

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Thats really quite high, it could be the chip, but have you tried feeding 1.32v at 4.5? anything?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Sounds like a bad chip. My Intel i5 3570K does 4.5 GHz at 1.32 adaptive or 1.27v manual voltage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I gave a bad value before, 4.4Ghz uncore needed 1.325v. I re-did the whole shebang and found stability (at least in an hour of x264 loop) with 4.5Ghz Core @ 1.350v and 4.3Ghz uncore @ 1.225v. DRAM freq. @ 1866Mhz, VCCIN @ 1.950v. Temps are now slightly lower overall but those seem to be the voltages my chip needs, unless I'm missing something...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence52 View Post

Ouch. Seems a little high if I had to be honest. Running my own 4670K at 4.5GHZ at 1.25V.
What is the board and cooler you are using?
I am not too familiar with Haswell voltages atm thou.
It seems so by the looks of it. Board is msi z87-g45 and cooler is cooler master EVO212.

Is it such a bad thing though? That is considering my goal wasn't to 'push the limits'.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrii View Post

Sorry I gave a bad value before, 4.4Ghz uncore needed 1.325v. I re-did the whole shebang and found stability (at least in an hour of x264 loop) with 4.5Ghz Core @ 1.350v and 4.3Ghz uncore @ 1.225v. DRAM freq. @ 1866Mhz, VCCIN @ 1.950v. Temps are now slightly lower overall but those seem to be the voltages my chip needs, unless I'm missing something...
Now that you found stability drop the vcore until it crashes. I have the same settings as you but my RAM is at 1600 and my vcore is 1.315

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJaminJr View Post

Now that you found stability drop the vcore until it crashes. I have the same settings as you but my RAM is at 1600 and my vcore is 1.315
I can confirm 1.325v isn't a stable vcore @ 45x. If you mean drop the vcore in lower increments than 0.025v would that even be necessary?

My ram was at 1600 while I was adjusting and testing core. uncore and ram were the last things I played around with.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

I can confirm 1.325v isn't a stable vcore @ 45x. If you mean drop the vcore in lower increments than 0.025v would that even be necessary?

My ram was at 1600 while I was adjusting and testing core. uncore and ram were the last things I played around with.
Yeah, why wouldn't it be. You could he stable at 1.330 and not even know it. I adjust by .005

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll do so tomorrow then and see where that gets me. I suppose it's a good idea to do the same with uncore and vccin?

Thanks everyone for your advice today!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:

I'll do so tomorrow then and see where that gets me. I suppose it's a good idea to do the same with uncore and vccin?

Thanks everyone for your advice today!
Yes it is.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Most Sandys get 4.5 with 1.32 v, Ivies 1.3v, and Wells <1.28

Your a bit high, and may be considered dangerous

1 - 13 of 13 Posts