Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love how people throw away their stuff.

I got quite a harvest last night.
Picked up a Dell Dimension 5200 - it works but I can't really verify if it boots - gotta wait till I've got time.

Got a WD Passport 160GB that wasn't being detected. I plugged it in and saw that the drive was spinning up but Windows was not detecting it. Hacked open the shell, retrieved the drive and voila; a spanking new 160GB 2.5" HDD, only been in use for 117 hours.

Picked up a Radeon X1950XTX because the dude thought it was old tech and useless.

Got a couple of SUNON 60mm server fans, two 120mm fans, and a bunch of 80GB IDE disks.

I rawk.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Singapore.

A client's house, to be exact. He happened to be throwing out a lot of old stuff.
Took it from him.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

In Singapore.

A client's house, to be exact. He happened to be throwing out a lot of old stuff.
Took it from him.

since you don't like your parents taking your money and giving you no privacy how about you move in with your client and take all of his/her stuff for free

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Local forum.

Some people will be WTB: *Insert computer type here* and I'll PM them asking how about I build them a machine.

No scams of course.

I charge them an assembly fee, and free stuff... Well if they're willing to throw out old junk I'll offer to take it off their hands. If no, then too bad.

I don't make a living off scamming people. Isn't a good thing.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Have gotten some free fans and other free accessories before, but today I picked up a really old rig from a family extension and guess what I found inside...
A Pentium III 450Mhz (lol)
A GeForce MX200 (more lol)
384MB of SDRAM (lol, but beginning to get useful)
D-Link Rangebooster Wi-Fi Adapter (wut, doesn't this sell for $50 on NCIX!?)
WD 200GB Caviar SE (dude, this set world records back then--)
I didn't get that bad a deal today.

Look on your local craigslist's free section and search "computers". There's always a lot in my area; maybe yours.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think Singapore has Craigslist?

But wow, nice haul.

Now, I need a longer cable and some extensions to test that Dell.

I'm not a fan of shifting my damn heavy-ass bedroom PC just to haul this heavy-ass Dell on to the table.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Have gotten some free fans and other free accessories before, but today I picked up a really old rig from a family extension and guess what I found inside...
A Pentium III 450Mhz (lol)
A GeForce MX200 (more lol)
384MB of SDRAM (lol, but beginning to get useful)
D-Link Rangebooster Wi-Fi Adapter (wut, doesn't this sell for $50 on NCIX!?)
WD 200GB Caviar SE (dude, this set world records back then--)
I didn't get that bad a deal today.

Look on your local craigslist's free section and search "computers". There's always a lot in my area; maybe yours.
Is that one of the all black ones? Those are damn good drives for an IDE storage drive, just a bit noisy (all of mine were a bit unbalanced so vibrated) and run hot, but they are nice nonetheless.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just switched on the Dell.

Oh boy is this machine a noisemaker.

The 0.7A Datech fan in the rear struggles to idle at low speeds and creates that atrocious growling motor noise.
The HDD's sound like jets.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Just switched on the Dell.

Oh boy is this machine a noisemaker.

The 0.7A Datech fan in the rear struggles to idle at low speeds and creates that atrocious growling motor noise.
The HDD's sound like jets.

short the two pins on the fan's thermistor (little blue thing attached to the motor hub)
Then that fan will REALLY scream (and push about 150cfm)

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just did. Moves craploads of air.
Check my bedroom rig, I have two units of the PWM, non-thermistor version of these fans.

They're Deltas, but just like the Datech they have 0.7A of pure power and they move craploads of air as well.

And they came from Dells too

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Ha, I got a DV7-1025nr two weeks ago totally free, Best Buy told him it was broken so he dropped it off for e-waste but I loaded it up with Windows 7 and its totally fine.
P8400, 4GB DDR2, 320gb, 9600m GT

I have also gotten a lot of great free crap from e-waste.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
I once got a 20GB HD for free but forget the brand.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts