Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dances with a Screwdriver
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing almost 60 mph going home (55 mph zone) and there was a car behind me that had been following for a while, He tried to pass many times but there were always oncoming traffic and at times the car had been close to me.

Passed by an abandoned "stillborn" mobile trailer park that had a police car hiding among the tall bushes. He gave chase and got to me and the car behind me. The police came out, told the driver something, I guess wait please maybe? then he came to me. He asked if I knew the driver behind me. I said no. He said I can go since I had not done anything wrong.
biggrin.gif

I wonder what his penalty is. Driving too closely can be viewed as reckless driving. At best he'd only lose about 10 minutes and gain about 100 new white hair and wrinkles for the scare.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Yes tailgating is a moving violation. I hope you weren't being "that guy" in the fast lane though.
If someone wants to set land speed records I let them provided I can get over easily - otherwise they wait till I can.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

Yes tailgating is a moving violation. I hope you weren't being "that guy" in the fast lane though.
If someone wants to set land speed records I let them provided I can get over easily - otherwise they wait till I can.
That's not even the sad part here that they are trying to get new land speed records. On an 90km/h zone they are in a hurry hurry hurry to pass you even while you're doing 95 and once they pass they sit in front of you with 90. This really bugs me.

·
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ the "ME-FIRST" syndrome. They have to be in front of everyone but not willing to take the risk of tripping any hidden police car involved in speed enforcement.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

That's not even the sad part here that they are trying to get new land speed records. On an 90km/h zone they are in a hurry hurry hurry to pass you even while you're doing 95 and once they pass they sit in front of you with 90. This really bugs me.
This happens here too. Most people in the outside lane do 120mph/~200kmh. So you move to let them past and reach a 120kmh limit because there is a town/city...

Then after the limit is removed, they continue to drive at this speed in the outside lane for ages until they notice the huge trail of cars flashing their high beams. It's always a BMW SUV too...

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

This happens here too. Most people in the outside lane do 120mph/~200kmh. So you move to let them past and reach a 120kmh limit because there is a town/city...

Then after the limit is removed, they continue to drive at this speed in the outside lane for ages until they notice the huge trail of cars flashing their high beams. It's always a BMW SUV too...
Awww. You got autobahns. Not fair. And I'm here stuck with this

With maximum speed of 100km/h if you're lucky. Mostly 90...

·
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michigan has unofficial autobahns. On I-75 no one gives a fig to speed limit and drive at whatever speed they want to. I rarely see any police around as well. Around here, if you are not doing 90 minimum, you are probably holding up the traffic.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
In AZ, it used to be that if a speed limit wasn't posted, there was no speed limit. Around 50 years ago, there was one road south of the Phoenix area that had some stretches that were straight as a board and flat for much of the way and didn't have a posted speed limit. A lot people would drive on that road for the sole purpose of opening up engines of their vehicles just to see how fast they would go without getting a ticket (there was some drag racing but that was illegal so there wasn't much of it). I checked out the top end of my Daddy's '55 Studebaker on that road once (I don't even remember how fast it was now).

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
And to think the idiots over here wanted to reduce the inner city speed limit to 40km/h because you know "It reduces accident risk" - lets ban cars all together then. You guys and girls are indeed lucky
frown.gif

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

And to think the idiots over here wanted to reduce the inner city speed limit to 40km/h because you know "It reduces accident risk" - lets ban cars all together then. You guys and girls are indeed lucky
frown.gif
Technically, reducing speed limits does reduce accident risk but all that does is treat the symptom of the problems, not the problems themselves, such as distracted driving (especially from cell phones), impaired driving, drowsy driving, etc.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Technically, reducing speed limits does reduce accident risk but all that does is treat the symptom of the problems, not the problems themselves, such as distracted driving (especially from cell phones), impaired driving, drowsy driving, etc.
The USA also has a lot less strict rules about what can be driven. When I've been there, you see people driving rusted pieces of crap that would never in a million years pass inspection in Europe.

With a higher speed limit, the average safety and condition of a car must be higher too.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Well, thats what I basically meant by joking around banning cars. No cars, no car accidents.
tongue.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts