Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me out with this one guys, please. Your thoughts and inputs will be appreciated.

Looking to replace my backpack ITX computer that I built with Kaveri when it launched, to take to my gf's house and play on her TV. Z-height of this current computer case is literally only enough to fit the HSF, and the rest of the case is just big enough to fit the MB with some small space for cable management. No PSU, as it uses an external brick, it's one of those cases... so it can fit in a regular backpack.

Now, I'm looking to go 2200G or 2400G build with the similar idea, but I'm also leaning towards a gaming laptop this time around. Eyeing $600 to $800 as my budget, but I think I can get the backpack build down to under $600 with the Windows License by using a storage drive I already have. I plan on using the old computer as a small server, so I won't be stripping parts from it.

Now, I know I can do a full blown ITX build for $600-$800 with a better CPU, case, and components to stretch the dollar further into its lifetime, but this is purpose-built to fit in a backpack so I understand the cost and I am willing to take a hit for this scenario (I already have my own powerful ITX computer at home).

I've been eyeing this laptop from Dell:

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-...VIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100397555.html

I know that this laptop is 2018's refresh, though they're still using the 7th gen Intel. I hear they are making the 8th gen towards the fall, and possibly putting Raven Ridge into a similar laptop.

Or maybe even this one for cheaper:

https://m.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-...VIDIA-Graphics---1080p.product.100397512.html

From the get-go, I know I will be getting all similar specs between the laptop and itx backpack computer, except for the video performance which is pretty obvious, but I'm not 100% certain the CPU comparison.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally I'd go with the m-itx build. for a number of reasons
1 - you're used to moving an itx rig around. this wouldnt be like moving from a laptop to bigger system. that in and of itself is a big reason to keep doing this, it works, no problems
2 - upgradability. I know a lot of laptops can be upgraded, but good luck finding one with a modern CPU that can be upgraded, or a modern GPU that can be, especially in that price point. the itx rig can easily e upgraded to a newer APU later, or you can even add in a gpu for a little more oompf, as well as other things if needed
3 - the performance will likely be far better on the RR system over the laptop, especially if you can spring for a cooler to let you OC the GPU.

You can definitely swing this for your budget too, and not have to suffer much. Unless you really want the extra CPU power in the 2400g, the 2200g with an OC GPU and the standard 3.8-4ghz oc on the CPU seems to be almost on par with the 2400g in gaming, obviously not for CPU heavy tasks. Combine that with a good enough cooler, nice smal case and a m.2 ssd (doesnt have to be nvme, sata would be fine, just nice to have to not have to deal with the cables in m-itx) and you're good to go.

As for the size concern, I'm actually thinking about doing a backpack RR build myself this summer, been looking at the in-win chopin. thing is definitely backpack sized, and has a built in PSU with enough juice to handle a OC on both the CPU and GPU on even a 2400g. get a low profile cooler like a c7 or noctua to go with it and thats probably about as small as you could go. Something to think about for sure.

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts