Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently got myself a little gift!
I managed to find the Razer Ouroboros in stock at best buy, so I grabbed it! I love it so far. It's my first wireless mouse (gaming or otherwise) and I really like it so far, so i figured I'd thow some pics up here and go a little into what I like about this mouse...

PACKAGING

First thing I loved was the packaging. This is the first Razer product ive ever owned, and I knew they usually go a little over the top on their packaging, but I've NEVER seen anything like this before!

First thing you get when opening the shipping box is a ridiculous(-ly awesome) cube reminiscent of the Apple Store entrance in NYC. I thought it was awesome, and it made the $130 i just dropped on this baby immediately seem like it was well spent. I also like how the mouse itself is prominently displayed on a really cool stand. The charging dock / wireless receiver is inside the base of that cool stand.





Inside the box you get all the manuals, razer stickers, and necessary components - the rechargeable battery, USB cable (gold plated - pic later) and the other 2 side panels for the mouse.



THE MOUSE

I love the feel of this mouse. It's lighter than other mice I've used (RAT7 and Logitech G9) but those allowed the use of customizable weights. However, it's nowhere near light enough to feel cheap. For example, my roommate (who only uses razer gear) tried it out and thought it was heavy (in a good way), so it's heavier than other razer mice.

Customization

Like the RAT7, this mouse allows for some cool customization such as the length of the mouse:




Also in the space of customization is the arch of the back portion of the mouse. By turning this wheel in either direction, you can increase or decrease the angle of the back panel of the mouse. I have it pretty much in the default position, as that's what i prefer, but you can get quite the arch going if you crank it all the way.



Again, for customization, you can change out the side panels of the mouse, similar to the RAT series of mice. You can go with what I call the "batwings" or the flatter, lower profile panels. You can also mix and match. This mouse is ambidextrous so you can set it up to your liking. I use the batwings. Also, I took some pictures of the mouse feet (glides, whatever they're called), and the difference between the low profile and batwing panels. The entire mouse LOOKS like it has a soft-touch finish, but it doesnt, its more of a textured plastic. The low profile panels have a rubbery grip on them.





The panels attach by magnets, and are very secure when in place:





The mouse in its different configs:




The Mouse Itself

I love the feel of this mouse, as well as sheer the amount of buttons available to you. There are 11 buttons total:

Right/Left Click
4x Back/Forward Thumb bottons (2 on each side)
2x "DPI Clutch" Buttons (1 on each side)
DPI Up/Down
Scroll Wheel Click

The DPI clutch buttons are amazing! Similar to the sniper button on many current mice, pressing in the entire thumb panel (on either side) defaults to cutting the DPI to 800, perfect for sniping/photo-editing/anything where you need really high accuracy and slow movement. Awesome part about this is it's the first mouse I've seen that allows you to LOCK the entire button. This is good because, being a righty using an ambidextrous mouse, sometimes I accidentally squeezed the lefty thumb clutch. This was an issue, so I just locked it. The following picture shows the locks.



Everything about this mouse is high quality. The right/left clicks are very tactile and responsive, with a god solid clicking noise without any squeaking that I can hear. The other buttons have very good tactile feedback, and you can tell when you are pressing each button. The finish on this mouse is great as well. The closest thing I can liken it to is the smaller (non soft-touch) finish of the Logitech G9 mouse. It looks like it would be soft touch, but it's actually a very finely textured hard plastic. This is the best picture I could find to illustrate the texture.



This is a wired and wireless mouse. I love this - absolutely love it. Similar to the Razer Orochi Bluetooth mouse and from what I gather the Mamba, you can plug in the included USB cable and turn it into a wired mouse. The Mini-USB cable is grooved and specially designed to fit into the front of the mouse, as well as the back of the charging dock/receiver. The cables are also gold-plated (I know, it's kind of standard now, but I figured I'd mention it)




Here are some pictures of the mouse in wired mode, with the cable in the front of the mouse:







Here is the mouse in wireless mode, with some pics of the receiver and the mouse charging:







The charging dock/receiver is also a huge positive for me. The thing is solid as a BOULDER!!! I swear, I don't know what kind of rubber razer uses on the bottom of the thing, but it doesnt move ANYWHERE. It actually requires solid effort just to lift it off the desk to pack it back up to take home.

The Sensor(s)

This mouse uses a dual, 8200dpi, combo sensor mixing laser and optical sensors. The big issue I had (and why I am replacing my RAT) is because the dual sensor in the rat jumped all over on certain mouse pads as well as upon lift off from my desk. I'm happy to report that I have had zero issues from the Ouroboros sensor so far! The 8200dpi is pure insanity, and IMO, very unnecessary, but hey, maybe some people will use that high of a DPI. I tend to stick with a DPI range of 1200 - 3200, with 2800 being my level of choice for this mouse. Unfortunately, I don't have a mouse pad with me here in college, so I'm forced to use my wooden desk, but it still tracks and glides VERY easily. This picture shows the two sensors. The laser sensor is the small hole above the two charging pins, and the hole even higher up is the optical sensor.



Software

This mouse takes advantage (or disadvantage depending on your view) of Razer's new Synapse 2.0 cloud-based software. Yes, you need to make an account to create profiles and customize the buttons on your mouse. For me, this is not a problem at all, since I only use this on one computer (currently two, but when I get home to my main desktop it wont be moving again) but I can see this being an issue for those who go to LAN parties or have a lot of PC's they use the mouse on.

Unfortunately, my laptop (15" MacBook Pro) is running OSX 10.8, which isnt officially supported at this point, so I've been having some issues with the software so far. The app itself freezes a lot, which doesnt affect mouse performance during normal use, but also doesnt allow me to make quick tweaks to the profiles I have set up. The other issue I've run into is when using the DPI switch or the DPI clutch, for a few seconds after the DPI changes, the cursor skips around and seems to stutter when tracking. I attribute this to the lack of OSX 10.8 support, but I will test this on my windows PC when I get home.

Speaking of profiles, I have my mouse set up with a "Mac" profile currently, and this ability to set up profiles is an absolute godsend. I had never actually taken the time to set up profiles before, but with Apple making it impossible to make mice scroll the correct direction without disabling the opposite scrolling on the trackpad (think like the iPhone - swipe up to scroll down), I need to set my mice up with the mac to have the scroll wheel sown action mapped to scrolling up - STUPID APPLE, JUST STUPID. But the profiles absolutely help in this regard. I can set each profile to link to an application, so I just link Mac to the finder app and it auto switches to mac when on my laptop. When using windows, I hear if you link your global profile to the windows explorer, it'll auto switch to a global profile - useful if you have profiles set up for games and dont want to manually switch when returning to the desktop.

I will post screenshots of the software later, when it't not frozen on me
tongue.gif


OVERALL

Overall, I love this mouse. When I get back home and I'm on my desktop running windows, I will update this review in the software section, as well as a quick update on how the mouse works with my mouse pad - the Mionix Ensis 320. Until then, I hope this review helped to answer your questions, and if not, let me know what else you want to see from me and I'll try my best to answer your questions. Please bear in mind this is my first review of anything ever so I may have missed something.

Overall Rating: 9/10

Pros:
+ Great feel
+ 11 Buttons!!!
+ Highly Customizable
+ Glows (I like lights)
+ Super-accurate sensor
+ Wired/Wireless capability
+ Charging Dock - solid as a rock and near immobile when placed
+ Packaging
+ Synapse 2.0 allows for insane customization - when it works for me

Cons:
- Software (lack of Mac support, will update when home)
- DPI Switching causes cursor jump (may be due to lack of OSX 10.8 support)
- Glows green only (I would've liked a color option)

Thanks for reading this, I hope it helps some of you / was informative!

Also, happy holidays!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
I dont think i will ever go back to Razer products, my corsair vengeance m60 has such great build quality, style, and is so comfortable. Got it on sale for $50 and it replaced my Mamba 2012. Hated the mamba, worst $120 i ever spent. Razer makes their products look cool, but their build quality is mediocre. Glad your happy with that mouse though, it does look awesome.
 

·
Pro lamer
Joined
·
2,109 Posts
It looks so busy that it should come with a built-in microphone that would say: "Autobots! Roll-out!" every time you turn the mouse on.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Hadn't really seen much on this mouse before so thanks for sharing your review.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post

Hadn't really seen much on this mouse before so thanks for sharing your review.
Thanks!!
I had found it really hard to find reviews (proper reviews) aside from unboxing videos and promo animated videos on youtube, so I figured I'd try and create my own.
 

·
back at it
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
bro thanks for the review. but why not a RAT9? i dont think i can sacrifice my comfort for wireless. the rat7 feels so comfortable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
I like your review, but I don't like the fact that you state "Super-accurate sensor", since you clearly have not measured the accuracy (not many people know how to).
If you measured the accuracy, you would have noticed right away the fault within all that overpriced 8200 cpi marketing gimmicks called "elite gaming mice".
 

·
Gone
Joined
·
8,730 Posts
I think the tracking is quite precise regardless of the minor accel curve.

I'm not saying that the sensor will track movement accurately to hand motion, but rather cursor quality as the norm will perceive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZareliMan View Post

I like your review, but I don't like the fact that you state "Super-accurate sensor", since you clearly have not measured the accuracy (not many people know how to).
If you measured the accuracy, you would have noticed right away the fault within all that overpriced 8200 cpi marketing gimmicks called "elite gaming mice".
Yeah, obviously I dont have the tools to actually measure the precision, I'm just basing it off of my comparisons to the rat, and this sensor is much more accurate with less tracking issues for me. Sorry if that was confusing / wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkinos98 View Post

bro thanks for the review. but why not a RAT9? i dont think i can sacrifice my comfort for wireless. the rat7 feels so comfortable!
I chose this over the RAT9 because of the sensor issues. I'm not going to step up from a RAT7 having sensor issues to the same sensor on a more expensive mouse. I do like the comfort of the RAT series, but this mouse is also super comfortable to hold, due to the ability to adjust the mouse arch in the back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post

Yeah, obviously I dont have the tools to actually measure the precision, I'm just basing it off of my comparisons to the rat, and this sensor is much more accurate with less tracking issues for me. Sorry if that was confusing / wrong.
Actually sensor accuracy can be measured in game with household tools, although its not really that perfect but it can give you the result of whether a sensor has accel or not, I found the avago S9818 the sensor in this mouse to have less accel than my xai, though I used the taipan the oroborus could have a different firmware.

All sensor aspects aside I don't think people buy this mouse for competitive gaming and hence will not care about 1:1 movement on the sensor, this is more of a boutique mouse so ti kind of serves its purpose
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulk View Post

Actually sensor accuracy can be measured in game with household tools, although its not really that perfect but it can give you the result of whether a sensor has accel or not, I found the avago S9818 the sensor in this mouse to have less accel than my xai, though I used the taipan the oroborus could have a different firmware.
All sensor aspects aside I don't think people buy this mouse for competitive gaming and hence will not care about 1:1 movement on the sensor, this is more of a boutique mouse so ti kind of serves its purpose
smile.gif
hmm, interesting. i didnt know you could do that. learning new things each day!
 

·
back at it
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post

I chose this over the RAT9 because of the sensor issues. I'm not going to step up from a RAT7 having sensor issues to the same sensor on a more expensive mouse. I do like the comfort of the RAT series, but this mouse is also super comfortable to hold, due to the ability to adjust the mouse arch in the back
mouse arch? where your palm would be with a palm grip? if so my RAT7 can adjust it too
biggrin.gif
but mine is a bit wobbly, especially if you have long fingers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yeah on the RAT you can replace the back panel right? for a taller one? Sorry, I'm not at home looking at it right now. but the biggest reason was because of the sensor. Only thing I wish this mouse had was a replacement back panel option similar to the RAT, with a rubber grip for comfort and maybe some adjustable weights. Other than that, mainly the sensor was my reason for the upgrade
biggrin.gif


Hopefully the slight issues I had on my mac with this mouse will be fixed on a windows machine that the software officially supports, but I'll update on Tuesday when finals FINALLY end and I'm home!
 

·
back at it
Joined
·
4,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post

Oh yeah on the RAT you can replace the back panel right? for a taller one? Sorry, I'm not at home looking at it right now. but the biggest reason was because of the sensor. Only thing I wish this mouse had was a replacement back panel option similar to the RAT, with a rubber grip for comfort and maybe some adjustable weights. Other than that, mainly the sensor was my reason for the upgrade
biggrin.gif

Hopefully the slight issues I had on my mac with this mouse will be fixed on a windows machine that the software officially supports, but I'll update on Tuesday when finals FINALLY end and I'm home!
well, when im looking for mouses im looking at it being heavy (i dont like light mice) and fitting into my hand like a glove the first time/after a few tweaks. just have to try the orosboros
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you said you have a RAT now? What weight do you have in there? I had all of the weights in there, so it was heavy haha. This mouse isn't LIGHT, just lighter than I'm used to. May be nice for quick movements across the pad. I play FPS's a lot, and I've already tried it with L4D2 on my mac, and it's amazing! headshots like nobody's business.
 

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietlyLinux View Post

I am pretty sure that it is a R.A.T 9... LOL
But it does look like a good mouse.
i parked my friends ouroboros next to my R.A.T 7 yesterday and started laughing, its nearly a carbon copy. other than the fact that the R.A.T mice have a better weight to them, they also have the side to side scroll on them which i use in many games for quick weapon changes and zoom on sniper scopes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

i parked my friends ouroboros next to my R.A.T 7 yesterday and started laughing, its nearly a carbon copy. other than the fact that the R.A.T mice have a better weight to them, they also have the side to side scroll on them which i use in many games for quick weapon changes and zoom on sniper scopes.
Just cause I'm curious, did you set the side scroll via profiles in the software? I could never get my side wheel to work in any games...
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Top