Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
While traditional mechanical switches were originally designed for typing, the all-new Razer Mechanical Switches have been designed and engineered from the ground up for gaming. In order to achieve that, Razer decided to go back to the drawing board to completely re-engineer the traditional mechanical switch.
After extensive research, Razer's multi-award winning engineers identified the optimal actuation distance for a gaming switch to a fraction of a millimeter and reduced the distance between the actuation and reset point by almost half to allow for faster, more precise gaming commands when compared to standard mechanical switches. Furthermore, the all-new Razer Mechanical Switches are made using an ultra-precise manufacturing technique that, along with gold plated contact points, result in a lifespan of up to 60 million key strokes.
While Razer scientists and engineers designed the new Razer Mechanical Switch from ground up, mass production was done by a third party manufacturer. However, to ensure that each switch met to its demanding specifications, Razer placed its own quality assurance experts on the production floor to make sure each switch meticulously follows the design blueprint and specifications defined by Razer.
Finally, these switches were tested extensively by the world's most demanding eSports athletes who validated the new Razer Mechanical Switch in some of the most intense professional gaming tournaments.
Source
Info

Moving away from Cherry switches is a brave move...

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Interesting. I have never thought any cherry switches were as good for gaming as everyone seems to think. MX reds are the best suited imho. This could be a game changer if they got it right.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Not really interested in Razer stuff, but those switches sound interesting.

·
Preferred the old OCN
586 Posts
really nice, problem is atleast 99% of gamers that know about mechanical are also using their computer for non gaming purpose which could be a killer if it is unpractical outside gaming.

However, i'm really interested in trying them! I hope i'm wrong so i can spend $$$ on another mekb
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts
  • Razer Green = MX Blue with a few minor changes
  • Razer Orange = MX Brown with a few minor changes
There won't be any tangible benefit in games other than that caused by the placebo effect.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

• Razer Green = MX Blue with a few minor changes
  • Razer Orange = MX Brown with a few minor changes
There won't be any tangible benefit in games other than that caused by the placebo effect.
Do you have any source for this or are you just guessing?

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic View Post

He's comparing the Cherry MX specs and the Razer switch specs listed on the website.

He's right, the only real change is the actuation point, the actuation force is the same.

They also claim that their switches will last 3 times longer than Cherry's, which I do find hard to believe.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Is Cherry still the OEM for the switches? They have the experienced with these in volume...

·
Premium Member
7,645 Posts
Quote:

From their page:

The only possible significant difference I can spot is the tactile bump on the Razer Orange looks bigger than the one on the MX Brown, but it would take an actual side-by-side comparison of the switch to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Is Cherry still the OEM for the switches? They have the experienced with these in volume...
Doesn't appear so, the Cherry branding isn't in the usual place.

If I had to make an educated guess, Razer are doing this so they have the freedom to make their own RGB mechanical switches down the line, instead of having to wait for the exclusivity deal between Cherry and Corsair to finish.

EDIT: That being said, the leaf spring design looks identical, so they may have those in common with Cherry, however the actual switch casing looks significantly different.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

just knockoff cherry switches known as kailh switches...
http://imgur.com/a/7ujle

using cheaper parts while keeping the retial prices the same.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

I saw those a lot when I was in S. Korea a couple of months ago, really cheap though as I assumed they were more informed consumers out there

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
As I understand it, these green switches will be like a mx blue but with the same actuation and reset point. That was the only problem with the MX Cherry Blues for gaming it was very hard to spam the same key because you'd get caught in the dead zone and the key wouldn't always reset. Browns on the other hand were too soft and didn't have the same actuation force of blues.

If greens have the same actuation force of mx blues but a very short reset/actuation distance. I'd pick one of these up.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:

Not thinking this is correct information unless you have a source..... As the guys pointed out above it looks like they are more similar to Cherry switches. Guessing they are having someone else manufacture them.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Quote:

Not thinking this is correct information unless you have a source..... As the guys pointed out above it looks like they are more similar to Cherry switches. Guessing they are having someone else manufacture them.
click the link i provided and its captain obvious those are the switches they will be using, just with new colored stems.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I think its a matter of preference really. You'd have to pay me money to use a Keyboard with Red switches.. I can't stand them. I also can't stand blue clicky switches either, I found the perfect balance with the MX Browns.

This new switch sounds a lot like a red switch on crack.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:

click the link i provided and its captain obvious those are the switches they will be using, just with new colored stems.
I looked through it. I actually saw it on reddit a few days ago when it was posted. You can't just assume that's who they are going to have manufacture their switches when no one has any information yet as to if that's the case. You are posting it on the forum as if it's fact where as no one really knows yet. That's how false information gets spread around on forums so easily.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
unless razer secretly opened up their own manufacturing plant to make a knock off of a knock off....

its basically the strongest argument, it is not a cherry switch. fact.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrox View Post

This new switch sounds a lot like a red switch on crack.
its just a mx brown copy, with a slightly higher acuation point.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts