Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two main devices in shaving for men. Electric & Manual.

The general opinion on the two is that...

Electric is faster but dosen't shave as close/more irritating & Manual is slower but shaves closer/less irritating

I usually use electric but ever since it broke I started using those new Gillet ones. Suprising enough I got a similar shave to an electric, even more irritating and took much longer.

Now this past week I've been using something different, a strait blade razor. The kind that our dads grew up on.

It shaves closer then anything I've ever tried. It dosen't irritate the skin as much as those 5 blade dissposables/electrics. It's almost as fast as an electric once you get used to it due to greater surface area.

And the best part, it saves money. It's good for a lifetime. I run through a pack of dissposable razor blades each month. Usually a pack of Gillet blades runs you $20 at Wallgreens. A good quallity strait blade can be had for as little as $90 online. It pays for itself.

Why did we ever go to safety razors, our dads grew up on these without a problem. They perform better, ect...

I think every man should use these.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
and by Gillette saftys you mean one of those multi bladed monstrositys correct? safty razors are fine.... as long as they only have one edge per side. im currently waiting for my "wapi" str8 to come in *should be here tews*

the thing a bout str8's is that the matinence on them can be delicate and time consuming. that and if you screw up it usually ends you up with a good gash.

that and unless your like 40+ im guessing our dads grew up with ether a DE or a multi monstrosity. hell even my granpa used a DE.

curenly im using a Gillette open comb DE from the 1920's. loaded with wilkinson sword blade. untill my strop and wapienchia come in.

my DE

and my str8 that should be in on tewsday

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think the biggest reason to use a straight razor is that it's so much more badass. I don't like a close shave, so I use electric - I think I look better with a bit of stubble. But sometimes I shave with a knife just because it's fun. I've always wanted to get a straight razor but I really don't like a close shave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

Sweeney Todd.

My favorite musical ever.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wonder what shaving my legs with one of these would be like. Something tells me it could be worse then last month when I took a four inch strip of skin off my leg with a disposable razer.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uhhh? What man shaves his legs? Do you do Micheal Phelps swimming or something?

General Lee speaking, I think the greatest problem with straits is peoples fear of cutting their throats or something. There not that dangerous aslong as you handle them with care.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'v tried shaving with my pocketknife (I maintain and edge on it religiously) and it worked somewhat... Can you shave dry with a straight razor? I usually rub my face down with a Ghillet Fusion with my face dry and I'm done in under 5 seconds.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumper View Post
Uhhh? What man shaves his legs? Do you do Micheal Phelps swimming or something?
She's female

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I lived in the dorms, I didn't shave with a manual razor. Too afraid that someone was going to try to kill me in the bathroom. For what it's worth, my college had people that could kill you with a plastic spoon.

Now that I'm done with that, I use manual razor. Works great!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot
View Post

She's female

On the internet? Impossible! Haha.

I use those disposable Gillette razors, but now I'm intrigued by those straights.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
it came in today!

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's nice. Looks like the one I got. I'm gonna buy one of those high quality Solingens soon enough though.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
hope you know someone who can hone one/ you having the stones and expirence. ether that or buy it shave ready.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
While, I don't use it for a straight razor, I have found that surplus AK-47 leather slings make excellent strops for sharpening blades. Every night or morning, I strop my Benchmade Griptillian on my AK-47's sling. It's a really old (30 years), beat to hell sling too, not newish leather. I'm not sure which is better, but mine gets it VERY sharp.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dronac
View Post

While, I don't use it for a straight razor, I have found that surplus AK-47 leather slings make excellent strops for sharpening blades. Every night or morning, I strop my Benchmade Griptillian on my AK-47's sling. It's a really old (30 years), beat to hell sling too, not newish leather. I'm not sure which is better, but mine gets it VERY sharp.

im guessing the softer the leather the sharper you can get it as long as your not rolling the leather up on the edge.

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got quite some experiance with blades, I keep my BM42 & Microtechs razor sharp with this waterstone all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts