Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://unplugged.rcrwireless.com/ind...-android-back/

Quote:
It would seem that the word “Android†pops up everywhere nowadays. It’s the in word when it comes to anything mobile related, a true challenger to the iPhone throne as king of the smartphone heap, so it is perhaps a little surprising that its creator, Google, seems to have been unwittingly holding it back from even greater glory.
Thought provoking article IMO, What would happen if Google didn't gimp the Market Place like this? I honestly think that it'd be far more advanced than it is and Android would have overtaken the iPhone long before

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
well.. i sort of see they're point.

make an app. Make a Free version, and if you're in an area without Google checkout do what people like the owner of Titanium Backup, weather widget donate, or Trackball Alert Pro do.

You get the Free version. Donate to them on there website and they email you a code or a tiny tiny file that will allow full access to the app. Titanium backup does this and it works perfectly fine. So Dev's in non google checkout country's could just require a donation over paypal or something in order to fully unlock apps full potential

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post

make an app. Make a Free version, and if you're in an area without Google checkout do what people like the owner of Titanium Backup, weather widget donate, or Trackball Alert Pro do.

You get the Free version. Donate to them on there website and they email you a code or a tiny tiny file that will allow full access to the app. Titanium backup does this and it works perfectly fine. So Dev's in non google checkout country's could just require a donation over paypal or something in order to fully unlock apps full potential
I agree, but that may be too much of a hassle for EVERYONE to implement.
Also, interesting article! I'd never heard of this before. +REP.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
good points there.

yeah, it's annoying when everyone expects you to be in the US or another first world county.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post

and then that person can give that code to everyone . i don't expect them to set up a security system like cd-key or online activation just for a $2 app.

Google better fix this pretty soon. it seems like their working their ass off on the OS, and ignoring the devs.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
One advantage of Google apps though is.... that you do NOT have to use the Android Marketplace. There are 3rd party stores that are available and being developed. Give it time to mature and innovation will come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts