Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a week or so I'm getting a new mobo. The thing is, I just applied some AS5 to the processor about 2 weeks ago. Would I need to apply AS5 again?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy

In about a week or so I'm getting a new mobo. The thing is, I just applied some AS5 to the processor about 2 weeks ago. Would I need to apply AS5 again?

Yes, most definitely. You want to clean the processor and heatsink with Isopropyl Alcohol and then reapply. Never reuse paste even if you simply lifted the heatsink up for 10 seconds. Once you seat the heatsink, never pull it up unless you're willing to reapply. If you don't, you'll get air bubbles and/or uneven spreading.

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. I don't have Isopropyl Alcohol though, and have no clue what that is (hey I'm dutch) could I also use something simular?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Ok thanks. I don't have Isopropyl Alcohol though, and have no clue what that is (hey I'm dutch) could I also use something simular?

Less than a dollar at any local pharmacy

• Rep+
Reactions: Acoma_Andy

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

It's commonly called rubbing alcohol in the states. The higher concentration of alcohol you can get the better. some of the cheaper stuff is only 70%, but 80% or 90% would be much better if you can find it.

One thing though, as long as you have to make a purchase. I would highly suggest you get some Arctic Silver ArctiClean. It costs about $10 with shipping in the US, so it is a bit more spendy... but it works wonders. It is s 2 part solution. the first bottle is a thermal material remover. you put a few drops on, wait a few seconds and it literally disolves any thermal material (paste like AS5, or even thermal pads) once you get that clean then you use the second bottle which is the purifier. it gets the surfaces ready for reapplication of AS5.

Also, instead of Q-tips you can also use coffee filters as they make a good lint-free rag and they are cheap as well. I personally prefer ArctiClean and coffee filters over alcohol and Q-tips

·
Old school
14,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't get a hold of that stuff you mentioned, so I looked at the site where I always order my hardware and found some "Akasa CPU & Heatsink Cleaner" for only 7 euro. On the bottle it says:

- CPU & heatsink cleaner
- Removes thermal pad
- Removes silver based thermal grease

Sounds good to me so I ordered some. And thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Yes that will do fine, but i use either lighter fluid or some aeroklene 50 which is an electronic cleaning solvent

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

I can't get a hold of that stuff you mentioned, so I looked at the site where I always order my hardware and found some "Akasa CPU & Heatsink Cleaner" for only 7 euro. On the bottle it says:

- CPU & heatsink cleaner
- Removes thermal pad
- Removes silver based thermal grease

Sounds good to me so I ordered some. And thanks for the info!

That looks like it should do the trick. Just take a quick look when you get it though and see if it still recommends you use something to 'purify' the surface before you apply new thermal material

1 - 8 of 8 Posts