Overclock.net banner

Re-attaching a GTX 280 Stock Cooler

1819 Views 26 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  D3FiN3 SiN
Hey guys, I just bought an EVGA GTX 280 ($145 shipped, WOO HOO!) from procpuarie here on OCN and have one question. He said that it doesn't have thermal pads for the vRAM and that kind of stuff. I already have thermal paste, but I was wondering if someone could point me where to buy some.

Thanks!

I am ecstatic BTW, shaking as I type LOL.

EDIT:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadenthpafor.html

Would that much be enough??
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Lol coming to nvidia for good eh?

You can just apply paste to the vram also.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtwizzle View Post
Lol coming to nvidia for good eh?

You can just apply paste to the vram also.
Are you positive??? I don't want to screw up the card right after I get it.
See less See more
Yeah you can use TIM on RAM, sometimes people add a little glue in it to help it stick better.

Though your best bet would be to get an aftermarket cooler and some heatsinks for the RAM.
I believe this is what you are looking for
Just cut em to the right shape you need and apply heatsink.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by firestormcomputers View Post
Are you positive??? I don't want to screw up the card right after I get it.
Hmm, I had never heard that before...
I would just buy some thermal pads just to ensure proper contact.
See less See more
3
Geez... please don't give crap advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You can't use thermal paste as thermal gap filler. You need a thermal pad. The paste will just run and isn't very good at thermal conduction. The paste is designed for microscopic gaps not 1-3mm gaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socom View Post
I believe this is what you are looking for
Just cut em to the right shape you need and apply heatsink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xToaDx View Post
Hmm, I had never heard that before...
I would just buy some thermal pads just to ensure proper contact.
No, those are just preformed thermal paste pad.

You need one of these. Note that they tell you about thickness:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermal-Conducti...item518e69bb1d
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermal-Conducti...item2a00830b6b
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thermal-Conducti...item2a02dd70cb
http://cgi.ebay.com/thermal-conducti...item518e5c2bd4
See less See more
2
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Geez... please don't give crap advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You can't use thermal paste as thermal gap filler. You need a thermal pad. The paste will just run and isn't very good at thermal conduction. The paste is designed for microscopic gaps not 1-3mm gaps.
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.
See less See more
Also, look at Frozen CPU's stock of thermal pads. You may have better luck finding what you are looking for there.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltage_Drop View Post
Yeah you can use TIM on RAM, sometimes people add a little glue in it to help it stick better.

Though your best bet would be to get an aftermarket cooler and some heatsinks for the RAM.
I'm not looking to spend much here, I really just want the card to work with the stock cooler for at least a month. If thermal pads give me better performance (and assurance of stability) then I would much rather have them, instead of just TIM.
See less See more
Have done it and it worked all the while lowering my temps on an X1300. Like I said your best bet would be to use an aftermarket cooler and some heatsinks for the RAM.
Anyone know which pads will work the best for an EVGA GTX 280 stock cooler? The correct pads?
Quote:

Originally Posted by firestormcomputers View Post
Anyone know which pads will work the best for an EVGA GTX 280 stock cooler? The correct pads?
I believe they use ~1mm thermal pads....

Email EVGA at [email protected] and they should be able to tell you.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
I believe they use ~1mm thermal pads....

Email EVGA at [email protected] and they should be able to tell you.
Ah yes, I forgot about the handy dandy support email.
See less See more
If you are going to apply TIM directly on the vram be sure to put no conductive TIM(OCZ Freeze is the best non conductive one)
Quote:


Originally Posted by dominique120
View Post

If you are going to apply TIM directly on the vram be sure to put no conductive TIM(OCZ Freeze is the best non conductive one)

What TIM isn't non-electrically conductive (other than Coollaboratory stuff)?
See less See more
3
Quote:

Originally Posted by procpuarie View Post
.
Rave party, and you are invited
.
See less See more
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top