Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just new to installing operating systems and have never installed one before.

I am going to make a new computer soon enough, and I'm going to buy a 3 serial key box of windows 7 home premium.

I would use one of these keys to install windows 7 on the new computer that I'm going to make.

Maybe in the future if I were to get viruses or spyware or something to bugger up the computer and I wanted to re-install windows 7 and start from scratch, would I be able to re-use the same key that I used the first time or would I have to use one of the other two serial keys to re-install windows 7?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:

would I be able to re-use the same key that I used the first time

yes you can use the same key without issue. Tho' if you reinstall you will have to reactivate W7.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dpak
View Post

Right I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I'm just new to installing operating systems and have never installed one before.

I am going to make a new computer soon enough, and I'm going to buy a 3 serial key box of windows 7 home premium.

I would use one of these keys to install windows 7 on the new computer that I'm going to make.

Maybe in the future if I were to get viruses or spyware or something to bugger up the computer and I wanted to re-install windows 7 and start from scratch, would I be able to re-use the same key that I used the first time or would I have to use one of the other two serial keys to re-install windows 7?

Fortunately, you will most definitely be able to re-use the key. You should be able to re-use the key on the same computer as many times as you want. But after a few times it will say that you've exceeded the amount of times you can use it or something like that, and then it'll prompt you to call. So then all you have to do is call and use their automated system. But after you've used the automated system a few times, you'll have to actually talk to somebody. But this is just as painless. But regardless, you can re-install it on the same computer as often as you want with the same Product Key.

If it's Retail and not OEM, then you can also retire a system, build a new one and use that Product Key on the new system.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dpak

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsudvm
View Post

yes you can use the same key without issue. Tho' if you reinstall you will have to reactivate W7.

When you say reactivate, you just mean entering the key again?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

View Post

When you say reactivate, you just mean entering the key again?

That's different. Activation is what you do once you've already entered the Product Key.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Fortunately, you will most definitely be able to re-use the key. You should be able to re-use the key on the same computer as many times as you want. But after a few times it will say that you've exceeded the amount of times you can use it or something like that, and then it'll prompt you to call. So then all you have to do is call and use their automated system. But after you've used the automated system a few times, you'll have to actually talk to somebody. But this is just as painless. But regardless, you can re-install it on the same computer as often as you want with the same Product Key.

If it's Retail and not OEM, then you can also retire a system, build a new one and use that Product Key on the new system.

Wow, +1 rep for adding so much info ;D

Thanks a lot ^^

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Wow, +1 rep for adding so much info ;D

Thanks a lot ^^

You're welcome. And that's only from my experience. Your experience may vary slightly, but it will be roughly the same.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yah, enter the key and let it register activate with MS. No big deal.

If you reinstall a bunch of times on the same machine you eventually need to do the register activate by phone thing, but its shockingly painless.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcher Carnaby
View Post

Yah, enter the key and let it register with MS. No big deal.

If you reinstall a bunch of times on the same machine you eventually need to do the register by phone thing, but its shockingly painless.

Careful, though: registering and activating are 2 different things. I know you know, but not everyone does.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that's alright then, I probably wouldn't be reinstalling windows 7 so much anyways,
it's just for a backup and if anything goes wrong with the new sytem I'm going to build.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts