Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally managed to hit 4.0GHz on my E8400. I had to remove my 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 1.8v RAM, it was clearly interfering with my OCZ Reaper 2.1v RAM. I set my vcore to 1.40, which runs at 1.328. I also added .1v to my FSB and MCH, and added .3v to my RAM to let it run at the manufacturer recommended 2.1v.

Question: my RAM is currently 5-6-6-21, and according to Newegg's specs they should be 4-4-4-15, isn't that quite a bit off? I might need some help fixing that up, I've never done RAM timing. Can I harm my RAM by trying to set it to 4-4-4-15 which is the manufacturer's suggestion? I'm running it at 2.1v which is also their suggested voltage.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1268870

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros
View Post

So I finally managed to hit 4.0GHz on my E8400. I had to remove my 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 1.8v RAM, it was clearly interfering with my OCZ Reaper 2.1v RAM. I set my vcore to 1.40, which runs at 1.328. I also added .1v to my FSB and MCH, and added .3v to my RAM to let it run at the manufacturer recommended 2.1v.

Question: my RAM is currently 5-6-6-21, and according to Newegg's specs they should be 4-4-4-15, isn't that quite a bit off? I might need some help fixing that up, I've never done RAM timing. Can I harm my RAM by trying to set it to 4-4-4-15 which is the manufacturer's suggestion? I'm running it at 2.1v which is also their suggested voltage.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1268870

It's safe. So, just try it at 4-4-4-15. If that doesn't work, then why not put the G.SKILL memory in there since it's a lower voltage type? I mean, what's the difference? I know there has to be a good reason why you kept the Reapers in there.

Anyway, if using 4-4-4-15 doesn't work, then it's just because the overclock of the memory (which I'm assuming is at 890 right now, so please correct me if I'm wrong). So in which case, you could start with something looser like 5-4-4-15.

• Rep+
Reactions: Stealth Pyros

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

It's safe. So, just try it at 4-4-4-15. If that doesn't work, then why not put the G.SKILL memory in there since it's a lower voltage type? I mean, what's the difference? I know there has to be a good reason why you kept the Reapers in there.

Anyway, if using 4-4-4-15 doesn't work, then it's just because the overclock of the memory (which I'm assuming is at 890 right now, so please correct me if I'm wrong). So in which case, you could start with something looser like 5-4-4-15.

I'll definitely give 4-4-4-15 a shot, or 5-4-4-15 if it doesn't work, thanks. I'll probably get to that this weekend though, I have a night of gaming tonight with some buds. I prefer using the OCZ set because my G.Skill sticks were a replacement for another set that was defective and giving me BSOD headaches, so even though they run perfectly, I'd rather stick with the OCZ Reapers, which have pretty sweet heatsinks.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I'll definitely give 4-4-4-15 a shot, or 5-4-4-15 if it doesn't work, thanks. I'll probably get to that this weekend though, I have a night of gaming tonight with some buds. I prefer using the OCZ set because my G.Skill sticks were a replacement for another set that was defective and giving me BSOD headaches, so even though they run perfectly, I'd rather stick with the OCZ Reapers, which have pretty sweet heatsinks.

Well, which G.SKILLs were they? They could be superior.

Anyway, the idea is to keep gradually loosening the timings if the 4-4-4-15 doesn't work.

Also, is the memory overclocked to 890, or what is it at?

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

View Post

Well, which G.SKILLs were they? They could be superior.

Anyway, the idea is to keep gradually loosening the timings if the 4-4-4-15 doesn't work.

Also, is the memory overclocked to 890, or what is it at?

Give me your opinion on which one is better:

OCZ

G.Skill

I'm pretty sure the RAM is at 890, I don't remember, but it's definitely not too far from 800, I practice safety

Just looked at your profile about your autism; sorry to hear, but it doesn't mean anything! You seem very intelligent. Do you have any degrees/certifications?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Give me your opinion on which one is better:

OCZ

G.Skill

I'm pretty sure the RAM is at 890, I don't remember, but it's definitely not too far from 800, I practice safety

I don't know how they compare to each other, but I have a good feeling that somebody else on here does. However, I can't deny the superiority of the Reaper's heatsinks.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

I don't know how they compare to each other, but I have a good feeling that somebody else on here does. However, I can't deny the superiority of the Reaper's heatsinks.

Thanks so much, I was thinking the same thing. G.Skill was VERY quick in replacing my bad set and I think nothing bad of them, I just really like the quality of the Reaper's heatsink. I had decided to keep all 8GB but it was interfering with my FSB.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,936 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks so much, I was thinking the same thing. G.Skill was VERY quick in replacing my bad set, I had decided to keep all 8GB but it was interfering with my FSB.

Hmm, then maybe G.SKILL trolled you.
I dunno what I'm saying...

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4-4-4-15 booted ok and appears to be fine after some small tests. I'll be folding overnight, hopefully I won't wake up to a BSOD.

Edit:

Everything's running flawlessly. Validation below showing my 4-4-4-15 timing. 4-4-4 seems good, but isn't 15 pretty high? Can I safely try lowering this a few notches? Isn't the 'theoretically correct' way to setup timings tRAS = tCL + tRCD + tRP (+/- 1)? Meaning 4+4+4 = 12, +/- 1 for 11,12, or 13?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1270142

1 - 10 of 10 Posts