Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Currently, my sig rig is running on a Corsair AX1200. It is MASSIVELY overkill, and quite frankly is a gigantic waste (ie. currently I am idling at 100-108W surfing the web).
tongue.gif
I originally bought it over a year ago for my previous Tri-SLI 580 + i7 930 setup, but that has since long been decommissioned, in favor of my more humble rig today.
redface.gif

So my mind is finally made up that I will not be going back to anything more than a single powerful GPU setup - at least not in the near future as my gaming time is nearly non-existent. I am also working out some deals to get my AX1200 sold this week, so I will need a replacement very soon. As such, from doing a little bit of research, I keep coming back to the Rosewill Capstone, particularly the 450W modular model, that is right in line with my price range:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261

I am almost ready to pull the trigger, but before I do, does anyone have any other suggestions for around the same price ($70 or less) for a PSU with the proper capacity that is right in line with my setup?

Thanks in advance!
thumb.gif

EDIT: Also, will the lack of an MOV be a problem in the event that I get a quick brown out? My power is typically pretty good, but we do get some blips every so often. I do have my rig on a surge protector if that helps.
redface.gif

EDIT 2: Here's my follow up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by covert ash View Post

As a follow-up update, I received my Rosewill Capstone 450-M, after missing the first UPS delivery attempt yesterday.
rolleyes.gif
Due to the length of the cables, it worked out better to have the PSU installed with the fan facing upward, as can be seen by the following (poor quality) cell phone pic
tongue.gif
:

On the initial power up, there was some noticeable bearing noise. However, after running for a few minutes, the noise seems to have subsided - perhaps the oil/lubricant in the fan needed to be dispersed evenly? With all the fans turned down completely by my fan controller, and my ear up close to the PSU, I cannot detect any significant fan noise from the Capstone, save for a slight whirring sound of air! This is in stark contrast to my AX1200, which I could clearly hear, even with the fan pointed downward, and the side panel installed!
eek.gif
wheee.gif

Having a more suitable wattage to match my current rig's components, it also seems like I am drawing a few less watts from the wall, as I am observing from my Belkin watt meter. Using the AX1200 and doing exactly what I am doing now, my power draw would hover around 106-110W. On this Capstone, I am pegged at a solid 100W! This might not sound like very much, and in reality it really isn't, but it goes to show that a unit that is immensely disproportionate to the components' power draw does have an affect on efficiency (small as it may or may not be).

Perhaps it might not be a fair comparison having a tiny PSU being stacked up against a significantly larger one, and expecting similar efficiency and noise levels with (relatively) low-powered components, but I think it is safe to say that maybe these big contrasts can help shine light on why it is important to put emphasis on realistic wattage capacities. While the AX1200 was great for my old Tri-SLI GTX 580 and overclocked i7 930 rig, it clearly was not meant for a power sipping setup consisting like what I am running now.
tongue.gif

No doubt about it, OCN has pulled through and made a solid recommendation with these units, and I have no reservations in picking up another unit for an upcoming ITX LAN rig!
biggrin.gif

Thank you everyone for your help and reassurances!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Thanks, Swolern! I briefly looked at that very unit before, but was kind of put off by the lack of modular cables. That, and I'm not too crazy on the pre-paid rebate cards that Corsair gives - if anything, I prefer a good ol' fashioned check like how Antec still does.
tongue.gif

All the same, I will keep this one in mind.
thumb.gif

Any other suggestions?
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Recommending a Corsair CX500 over a Rosewill Cpastone, just because "I trust Corsair PSUs the most" is exactly why I fight Corsair mania. For ****'s sake, man. It's a low end CTW DSAII unit with the +12V capacity of a 430W, not a 500W, with Chinese capacitors and group regulation and fixed cables and it barely clears 80PLUS Standard.

Versus the Rosewill Capstone M which is literally better in every single way imaginable. Period.

You people, I swear.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

Recommending a Corsair CX500 over a Rosewill Cpastone, just because "I trust Corsair PSUs the most" is exactly why I fight Corsair mania. For ****'s sake, man. It's a low end CTW DSAII unit with the +12V capacity of a 430W, not a 500W, with Chinese capacitors and group regulation and fixed cables and it barely clears 80PLUS Standard.
Versus the Rosewill Capstone M which is literally better in every single way imaginable. Period.
You people, I swear.
Wow.....Grumpy much?

I stand corrected. Sounds like the Rosewill is better.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
I read a review recently on the Rosewill and the main complaint was fan noise under load.Some small technical issues were related but they did not sound of great significance.

EDIT: The technical omission I speak of is the lack of MOV overvoltage protection devices.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

Wow.....Grumpy much?
Yes. How would you react if someone came in saying,

"I would go with this EVGA GT520 because I trust EVGA most. Forget that Gigabyte GTX660Ti!"

Brand doesn't matter. The hardware does. Intangibles like support come into it too, but Rosewill's support is pretty darn good. Do your research before making a recommendation just on brand.

Anyway, the lack of a MOV, honestly, is not that huge a deal. Just use a surge protector.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote:

^ Ok man we get it! No need to get your panties in a knot!!
I still prefer the $29 Corsair
devil-smiley-019.gif
You say hes grumpy yet you make childish remarks.

He has a point man , People to often recommend brand in lieu of Performance and Quality.

Its better to have a quality product than a matching brand , Is it really worth Wasting money Because " OMG I love Corsair"

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:

You people, I swear.
And swear, you did!
biggrin.gif

+1 to this, though. I love how they have a fantastic price point for such good quality.
Quote:

Wow.....Grumpy much?
I stand corrected. Sounds like the Rosewill is better.
Indeed - the Rosewill will crap all over the CX500.
Quote:

Yes. How would you react if someone came in saying,
"I would go with this EVGA GT520 because I trust EVGA most. Forget that Gigabyte GTX660Ti!"
Brand doesn't matter. The hardware does. Intangibles like support come into it too, but Rosewill's support is pretty darn good. Do your research before making a recommendation just on brand.
Anyway, the lack of a MOV, honestly, is not that huge a deal. Just use a surge protector.
Which if you're not, go home anyway LOL.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdebrooke View Post

You say hes grumpy yet you make childish remarks.
He has a point man , People to often recommend brand in lieu of Performance and Quality.

Its better to have a quality product than a matching brand , Is it really worth Wasting money Because " OMG I love Corsair"
Some people have no sense of humor........

Worth wasting money because its a Corsair? What are you talking about? The Corsair is half the price of Rosewill.......

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:

Some people have no sense of humor........
Worth wasting money because its a Corsair? What are you talking about? The Corsair is half the price of Rosewill.......
Less than half the quality as well, though
tongue.gif

But I should add, there was nothing in your post to suggest you were being humorous!
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Swolern, enough with the nonsense please.

@OP, the Capstone is the correct choice, you'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable in quality/performance that's also competitively priced.

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post

Swolern, enough with the nonsense please.
@OP, the Capstone is the correct choice, you'd be hard pressed to find anything comparable in quality/performance that's also competitively priced.
Honestly I don't know how they can price those units like that...
Shed any light there, master?

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

Honestly I don't know how they can price those units like that...
Shed any light there, master?
Master!?... I'm sure you're confusing me.
smile.gif

Well, I suppose it's a question of reference... what do you compare them with?... usually Seasonic, in which case we're talking about two OEMs with different profiles, Seasonic is not particularly large, it doesn't make much money on the low end/entry level segment and it's used to high margins (to my knowledge the highest of all OEMs commonly found in the consumer market, except maybe Enermax but they're even smaller and lack the economy of scale to properly compete with the likes of CWT or FSP, that's why we have Lepa on the market now, they're not really making much money for Enermax atm, but the business has grown and so did the market share).. on the other hand Super Flower makes a lot of money on the low end segment (they have a few brands created primarily for this purpose, like AXP and Xion, Azza was somewhat re-profiled recently, with the launch of the Platinum line), they sell a lot Case + PSU bundles on all continents under a wide variety of brands (apart from those already mentioned, there's also Senty for South America, Nox Estreme in EMEA and others I won't bother listing), and their market strategies are different as well, they sell cheap (low margins, chasing high volumes to gain market share, low warranty periods to limit costs associated with returns and such, to compensate for those low margins, etc) but they still make money on virtually everything they sell (it's not the type of strategy seen from Corsair, in which they sell some units at break even or below production costs, to undermine the competition and steal market share).

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:

Master!?... I'm sure you're confusing me.
smile.gif

Well, I suppose it's a question of reference... what do you compare them with?... usually Seasonic, in which case we're talking about two OEMs with different profiles, Seasonic is not particularly large, it doesn't make much money on the low end/entry level segment and it's used to high margins (to my knowledge the highest of all OEMs commonly found in the consumer market, except maybe Enermax but they're even smaller and lack the economy of scale to properly compete with the likes of CWT or FSP, that's why we have Lepa on the market now, they're not really making much money for Enermax atm, but the business has grown and so did the market share).. on the other hand Super Flower makes a lot of money on the low end segment (they have a few brands created primarily for this purpose, like AXP and Xion, Azza was somewhat re-profiled recently, with the launch of the Platinum line), they sell a lot Case + PSU bundles on all continents under a wide variety of brands (apart from those already mentioned, there's also Senty for South America, Nox Estreme in EMEA and others I won't bother listing), and their market strategies are different as well, they sell cheap (low margins, chasing high volumes to gain market share, low warranty periods to limit costs associated with returns and such, to compensate for those low margins, etc) but they still make money on virtually everything they sell (it's not the type of strategy seen from Corsair, in which they sell some units at break even or below production costs, to undermine the competition and steal market share).
Confusing you with whom?
tongue.gif

And well that block of text was hard to read LOL but I managed and it makes sense
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:

Confusing you with whom?
tongue.gif
Some master I suppose..
redface.gif
Quote:

And well that block of text was hard to read LOL but I managed and it makes sense
thumb.gif
Indeed... it was deliberate.
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Quote:

Phaedrus, of course!
tongue.gif
I was thinking about something more inline with Leslie Nielsen's Count Dracula.
Quote:

I spent 2 minutes formatting it before I read it LOL. I'll never get that back!
It worked as intended then.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Quote:

I was thinking about something more inline with Leslie Nielsen's Count Dracula.
It worked as intended then.
biggrin.gif
Or the master in Dr. Who...
Thread derail FTW
wheee.gif

Anyway, hopefully people don't start recommending Rosewill over everything else now, right?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.