Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I'm at work right now, but am ready to do my part.
Currently clocked to 4.2Ghz and other than some minor software issues and glitches all is running fine. May clock down to 4.1Ghz which is stable all the way.

A few questions though, if you don't mind:

Will folding stress my machine life Prime 95?

When i finally install this software, will one of you walk me thru the set up options and settings? ((Private TS or via Yahoo available))

How do i go about being put on a folding team?

And tons of question after install.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
there are many of people who can help you... i will try if youd like, imnot yet a master floder and i am still learning some settings tweaks, and i dont thing it will stress your pc nearly as abd as prime95. and to be put on a team it will ask you during the install,what the team number you are folding for, so u just put in (37726) and thats Overclock.net. but if you wanna get onto a different team i think you have to sighn up or something...not to sure myself.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
if your machine gets too hot then it will shorten the life yes.

just install it and configure your team and username. then ask for how to tweak it after (username HP_Pavilion hehehe)

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxed

if your machine gets too hot then it will shorten the life yes.

just install it and configure your team and username. then ask for how to tweak it after (username HP_Pavilion hehehe)

No issues at all with heat at all. Idle 28C load 40C max. W/C work great for me and my system.

Opps. Is there only one team for O/C.net?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ya, you could just install it your self, its quite easy,just likemost other software, and then come back for tweaking questions. thats what im doing.... but if u want some walkthroguh, thats fine w/ me

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
i think so yes.... but it seems that members have also started there own smaller teams for these "competions?"

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Overclock.net's team number is 37726. When you install the software, it will ask you what team you want to fold for. Input 37726 and input your username as well. Afterwards post in the "Folder's Check in here thread".

The teams everyone is folding is in reference to the folding competition that Taeric has started. The thread can be found here.

Remember the important thing is that you are contributing to a greater good. Do not be concerened with winning or losing a competition or what your team rank is, you are doing your part in finding cure's for some pretty nasty ailments.

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chim3ra

Remember the important thing is that you are contributing to a greater good. Do not be concerened with winning or losing a competition or what your team rank is, you are doing your part in finding cure's for some pretty nasty ailments.

My thoughts exactly.
Will post when done installing for some tweaks((I guess thats what you call it)).

Thank you

·
Registered
679 Posts
folding will let you know how stable your system is by way of the folding units you complete. If you finish a unit and get no points for it, your system is unstable...and it takes about a day to fold a unit, just like prime95.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lohoutlaw

My thoughts exactly.
Will post when done installing for some tweaks((I guess thats what you call it)).

Thank you

I think I PMed you the three best tweaks yesterday. If not, they are the -forceasm and -advmethods flags and the setting to enable transfers greater than 5 MB. With those three set, your system will fly. One guy recently timed his system before and after adding those flags, and his folding speed nearly doubled.

As for stressing your system, certain folding cores will test the stability of your system even better than Prime95 does. Most cores aren't that intensive but will give your system a pretty good workout.

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

I think I PMed you the three best tweaks yesterday. If not, they are the -forceasm and -advmethods flags and the setting to enable transfers greater than 5 MB. With those three set, your system will fly. One guy recently timed his system before and after adding those flags, and his folding speed nearly doubled.

Yap that was me. Still have your pm and totaly new to this software. Not sure what im suppost to do yet. So hopefully your around tonight when i install, so you can help me tweat the settings.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Don't worry, the install process is easy as can be. If you use the console, it will walk you step by step through the config process. After that, all you have to do is make a shortcut (preferably in your Start Up directory
) with the flags in the target line. For the graphical version, many of the options are available in traditional menus/tabs. The flags still need to be added manually, though.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble with it. I will be on periodically until about 10 PM your time, and there are many other members here familiar with the software. I'm sure you'll find quick support to any issues you may come across.

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, yes another question.

Will this in any way conflicted with my Norton's-AdAware- Spybot-Microsoft Spyware-Comcast Spyware??

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Nope, the folding application is clean as can be. It doesn't actually install anything; it just loads to a directory that can be moved as you desire (talk about old school). I didn't even have to poke a hole in (read: open a port through) my firewall for it, though you may have to do that on some systems.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
There's not much to it. Just make sure the target line of your shortcut read something like this -

C:\\Program Files\\User\\[email protected]\\FAH504-Console.exe" -forceasm -advmethods

Also, in the console version config or the graphical version connection tab, set "allow WUs that result in transfers >5 MB" to yes.

Those flags and that setting together will really pushing folding hard. Just be aware that 1) -forceasm stresses the system very hard and will cause crashes if the system is even a little unstable and 2) >5 MB setting will result in RAM usage on the order of 250-350 MB. That's only a problem on systems with 512 MB and when running very RAM hungry applications in general. You can always temporarily shut down folding when you need more available RAM, though.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Do the forceasm and advmethods only work with the Console? I'm currently using the GUI.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts