Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Windows 8.1 on a laptop was going extremely slow... I formatted and reinstalled without checking HDTune first. Ran it and saw Reallocted Event Count. I wrote all 0's to the drive and now it has 40 reallocted sectors.

I put a 256gb SSD that I got originally for my desktop into the laptop. Runs great.

Is this HDD dead? Still useful for non-critical data?

Pic attached.

Dead.jpg

·
Enjoy Life!
869 Posts
Just keep an eye on it and if it keeps relocating sectors then it is dying otherwise relocating sectors on a hdd is normal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gualichu04 View Post

Just keep an eye on it and if it keeps relocating sectors then it is dying otherwise relocating sectors on a hdd is normal.
The Raw Read Error Rate is like 5.3 million and the seek error rate is 3.9 million... that can't be good?

I am done installing Windows for at least the next 6 months so I'm not gonna swap the drives back. I was thinking of using the HDD in an enclosure for kids movies (played through usb through BD player)

·
Computer Arsonist
2,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPieGamer188 View Post

The Raw Read Error Rate is like 5.3 million and the seek error rate is 3.9 million... that can't be good?
My SSD gets like 2x that
rolleyes.gif

·
Enjoy Life!
869 Posts
I wouldn't use that drive for anything crucial it maybe a ticking time bomb.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Wow, that is bad. Yeah, you need to replace your hard drive immediately. I can tell you this from experience (I replace hard drives every day), most drives don't even function at that number of reallocated sectors. Furthermore, you keep using it like that, you are bound to make things worse or even kill a head or two. Get the data off and move on.

• Rep+
Reactions: AmericanPieGamer188

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:

I am done installing Windows for at least the next 6 months so I'm not gonna swap the drives back. I was thinking of using the HDD in an enclosure for kids movies (played through usb through BD player)
The drive is failing; I don't disagree with that. HD Tune Pro's automatic hex to decimal doesn't really work for Seek Error Rate and IIRC Read Error Rate, this is a problem as it is believed that Seagate drives report the total reads and seeks in their respective values as well as errors, due to the way the raw data is arranged it can't be simply converted into a decimal like that. The drive is failing but that value could be 3.9 million total seeks and not almost 4 million seek errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechpumpkinWD View Post

Hello there,
This HDD is on it's way out, but I don't see a problem with using it for non critical data. It should work for some time at least.
Don't know if its appropriate for me to say but have you looked at this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1449035/overclocks-hardware-representative-initiative/0_20

Thought it might interest you?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's weird because it seemed like the HDD was working perfect and then all of a sudden massive BSOD's and then after reinstalling windows it took 10 minutes to fully boot.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
When hard drive fail, sometimes they don't give you any warning at all. The reason for the slowness is also likely due to the fact that the heads have also started to degrade somewhat from the bad sectors present on the drive.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,069 Posts
Quote:

Seagate's RAW read error rates are always high and meaningless.

However, the reallocated sector count is high enough I would not trust this drive and would replace it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts